• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Plea deal with teacher who had sex with 14-year-old is in question...

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I still don't understand how this case is in two, different jurisdictions (Hillsboro and Marion counties), but nevertheless, the judge in Marion County is thinking about rejecting the plea agreement that the prosecution had with Deborah LaFave (where she would not serve any jail time). Initially, I supported the plea agreement since the kid's family wanted it as well. Apparently, the kid does not want to testify. However, the excuse that LaFave's attorney gave as to why LaFave should not go to jail is just totally bogus (the fact that she is very attractive and what could happen to her by other inmates). LaFave should have thought of that prior to engaging in sex with a 14-year-old kid.

So, it's possible that there will be a trial. It is rare that a judge throws out a plea agreement.

On Dan Abrams's show on MSNBC, they reported that of the 150 cases that involved sexual conduct with minors, 60% of them ended up with plea deals with NO JAIL TIME. What the hell is that? How does that deter people from engaging in this sort of behavior?

Anyway, as to LaFave--we reap what we sew.

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=27032

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=22388

It's funny isn't it. How the reaction of a 14 year old boy sleeping with a grown woman is different from a 14 year old girl sleeping with a grown man.

I mean if was 14 I would be loving it. :mrgreen:

GarzaUK said:
It's funny isn't it. How the reaction of a 14 year old boy sleeping with a grown woman is different from a 14 year old girl sleeping with a grown man.

LOL, Garza. And this woman is very pretty with a sexy body.

aps said:
LOL, Garza. And this woman is very pretty with a sexy body.

I've seen her. She isn't that hot, she obviously dunks her head in a tub of make up every morning. I like girls with natural beauty.
Every mum I think thinks her little boy is innocent. I bet that kid's father said to him "Nice one son." The kid isn't testifing - that says it all IMO.

But if it was the other way around, that man is gonna go to jail and like all peados in jail get beaten to an inch of their lives.

GarzaUK said:

Heh, I agree. This isn't the same thing as a 14-year-old girl sleeping with her male teacher. The kid in this case is LUCKY, because he got to bang his hot teacher. :smile:

Kandahar said:
Heh, I agree. This isn't the same thing as a 14-year-old girl sleeping with her male teacher. The kid in this case is LUCKY, because he got to bang his hot teacher. :smile:

But technically she is a child sex offender. Does the law differ with gender? If a guy did it, people would have their torches and pitchforks out.
Why is it different?

Why would I congradulate a male kid who had sex with a grown woman and beat the crap out of a guy who has sex with a young girl?

Just throwing some questions out there.

aps said:
I still don't understand how this case is in two, different jurisdictions (Hillsboro and Marion counties), but nevertheless, the judge in Marion County is thinking about rejecting the plea agreement that the prosecution had with Deborah LaFave (where she would not serve any jail time). Initially, I supported the plea agreement since the kid's family wanted it as well. Apparently, the kid does not want to testify. However, the excuse that LaFave's attorney gave as to why LaFave should not go to jail is just totally bogus (the fact that she is very attractive and what could happen to her by other inmates). LaFave should have thought of that prior to engaging in sex with a 14-year-old kid.

So, it's possible that there will be a trial. It is rare that a judge throws out a plea agreement.

On Dan Abrams's show on MSNBC, they reported that of the 150 cases that involved sexual conduct with minors, 60% of them ended up with plea deals with NO JAIL TIME. What the hell is that? How does that deter people from engaging in this sort of behavior?

Ya I live in Hillsborough, and the reason why she is able to be charged twice is, because she committed the same crime but on two separate occassions in two separate counties it's like if you killed two people in two different states you would be tried in one state first and then the other and it wouldn't be considered double jeopardy because it's two separate crimes which happen to be the same, think of robbing two different banks. And for all you taking the teachers side on this it's not funny and it's not cool, she sexually molested a fourteen year old boy, there is absolutely no difference at all just because the genders were reversed it's fuc/king disgusting and this lady is nuts.

GarzaUK said:
But technically she is a child sex offender. Does the law differ with gender? If a guy did it, people would have their torches and pitchforks out.
Why is it different?

Why would I congradulate a male kid who had sex with a grown woman and beat the crap out of a guy who has sex with a young girl?

Just throwing some questions out there.

I think the main difference is the power. The male is usually considered to be the more "powerful" in the relationship, and society usually perceives the male as constantly desiring sex (and that perception is not without merit). If it's an older male and a younger female, the possibility of him taking advantage of her definitely exists (although that's not always the case; sometimes I think people overreact). This is magnified if he's in a position of authority over her, such as a teacher/student relationship.

The same is not as true of an older female with a younger male. I know that if I had got to sleep with an attractive female teacher when I was 14, I'd be mighty proud of it. It certainly wouldn't have traumatized me.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
And for all you taking the teachers side on this it's not funny and it's not cool, she sexually molested a fourteen year old boy, there is absolutely no difference at all just because the genders were reversed it's fuc/king disgusting and this lady is nuts.

Oh come on. Do you honestly think that this kid is going to be scarred for life because he scored with his teacher? :roll:

Kandahar said:
Oh come on. Do you honestly think that this kid is going to be scarred for life because he scored with his teacher? :roll:

Hell no! It's called bragging rights. If anything, his self esteem is healthy.

Kandahar said:

First off if you're a 14 yr old guy having sex with your teacher you (the 14 yo) might think its cool....just as a 14 yo girl might think having sex with her teacher is cool. However I'd bet neither the parents of the boy or girl think its cool. It's a mess.

For the girls it's a problem 'cause most of the time the young girl is completely convinced the older men is in love when usually he is not.

But even if you agree boys confuse sex and love less than girls you still have a problem. Look at that one teacher Letourneau...she kept getting pregnant by her young student. That in my opinion is messed up! And I think they eventually got married after she was done her jail time! Now it's possible that they have a great relationship but it's also equally possible in my mind that she messed that boy up completely and ruined his life. He never really got to experience anything but her cause she got to him at such a young age and then started popping out his kids.

Plus I just can't understand what would make an older woman or man turn to children, even teenagers, for sex. There's something strange there in my opinion. If teenagers are gonna have sex it should be with other teenagers.

The teacher in this situation should definitely be punished.

Kandahar said:
The same is not as true of an older female with a younger male. I know that if I had got to sleep with an attractive female teacher when I was 14, I'd be mighty proud of it. It certainly wouldn't have traumatized me.

It might have if she started popping out your kids and made you a father at 14.

aps said:

:rofl I love this excuse!!! I'm gonna knock someone off and try it.

"But your honor! I'm too pretty to go to jail!"

:lol:

aps said:

We had a long thread on this case awhile back and I am glad to hear you are looking at it a little differently now aps.........Be it a man or a woman they should be tried for the crime they have committed........This woman was a teacher.....She viloated a trust.........You send you kids to school to learn the three Rs not to be seduced by a pedophile teacher......I hope she is convicted and sent to prison and ends ups as some dyke's girlfriend.....Maybe that will teach her a lesson.............

Does the kid have to testify to put this wench in jail? He probably has a strong emotional attachment to the teacher, and doesn't want to get her in trouble.

hipsterdufus said:
Does the kid have to testify to put this wench in jail? He probably has a strong emotional attachment to the teacher, and doesn't want to get her in trouble.

They should be able to take taped testimony from him........

Navy Pride said:
They should be able to take taped testimony from him........

That's not the way it works, according to the 6th amendment everyone has the right to face their accuser in court, the reasoning is is that if you weren't allowed to face your accuser then the tape could be tampered with or the witness could be coerced, also, it removes any shadow of a doubt, and the reason why it was first put into the Bill of Rights was back before there were tape recordings people could have just written anything they wanted and claim that some anonomous witness said it. It's a good law unfortunately in cases like this it's kind of hard to see the reasoning behind it.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
That's not the way it works, according to the 6th amendment everyone has the right to face their accuser in court, the reasoning is is that if you weren't allowed to face your accuser then the tape could be tampered with or the witness could be coerced, also, it removes any shadow of a doubt, and the reason why it was first put into the Bill of Rights was back before there were tape recordings people could have just written anything they wanted and claim that some anonomous witness said it. It's a good law unfortunately in cases like this it's kind of hard to see the reasoning behind it.

Well I could be wrong but it seems I have heard of cases where the child was 5 or 6 and in the company of both the defense and the prosecutor was able to make a taped statement............Of course the tape would have to be safeguarded and secured.......

Maybe I have been watching to much Law and Order though..........

Navy Pride said:
Well I could be wrong but it seems I have heard of cases where the child was 5 or 6 and in the company of both the defense and the prosecutor was able to make a taped statement............Of course the tape would have to be safeguarded and secured.......

Maybe I have been watching to much Law and Order though..........

You might be right if the defense attorney agrees to it but I highly doubt that the defense attorney would agree to it in this case.

talloulou said:
First off if you're a 14 yr old guy having sex with your teacher you (the 14 yo) might think its cool....just as a 14 yo girl might think having sex with her teacher is cool. However I'd bet neither the parents of the boy or girl think its cool. It's a mess.

For the girls it's a problem 'cause most of the time the young girl is completely convinced the older men is in love when usually he is not.

But even if you agree boys confuse sex and love less than girls you still have a problem. Look at that one teacher Letourneau...she kept getting pregnant by her young student. That in my opinion is messed up! And I think they eventually got married after she was done her jail time! Now it's possible that they have a great relationship but it's also equally possible in my mind that she messed that boy up completely and ruined his life. He never really got to experience anything but her cause she got to him at such a young age and then started popping out his kids.

It's one thing if she gets pregnant...but I don't think that's what happened in this particular case. So I don't think this argument has very much merit.

talloulou said:
Plus I just can't understand what would make an older woman or man turn to children, even teenagers, for sex. There's something strange there in my opinion. If teenagers are gonna have sex it should be with other teenagers.

The teacher in this situation should definitely be punished.

I don't know why adults would want to have sex with young teenagers either, but I think that the adult should only be punished if the minor has somehow been harmed. The fact that most people, myself included, find the relationship distasteful is not sufficient reason in itself to merit punishment IMO. If the prosecution can prove that the minor has been harmed by the relationship, that's a different matter. But if the minor won't testify against the adult (especially if the minor is male and the adult is female) and there's no evidence that the refusal is out of fear, I'd vote to acquit if I was on the jury.

hipsterdufus said:

hipster, the judge doesn't care if the kid doesn't want to testify. He says that most people don't want to testfiy against someone in a criminal trial. Too bad.

I am extremely disappointed with the statistics of how many people don't get jail time for having sex or sexual activity with minors. Maybe this judge doesn't like it as well.

Now for those who say that this kid's self-esteem is healthy, I don't know if that is true. What they were saying on Dan Abraam's show was that the kid is already having psychiatric problems and that testifying at a trial would make it worse. Actually, I believe that this is the excuse the prosector used in agreeing to the plea agreement.

TOT--thanks for explaining why it's in two, different jurisdictions.

Kelzie, can you believe that horse$hit? "All the women in jail will find me appealing and will want to sexually molest me the way I molested the 14-year-old kid." Here's what her attorney said:

JOHN FITZGIBBONS, LAFAVE'S ATTORNEY: To place an attractive young woman in that kind of hell home, is like putting a piece of raw meat in with the lions. I'm not sure that Debbie will be able to survive.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11744821/

On Dan Abrams, they played a recording of a phone call between them. Here it is from the transcript:

BOY: I'm a little worried though.

LAFAVE: Why?

BOY: Like I don't want you to like get pregnant or anything. I was just thinking about it and I was just thinking if next time, now that we've had sex about three times, if I should have like a condom or something.

LAFAVE: Oh, you're being weird.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11744821/

Excuse me? She's having sex with a 14-year-old and he's being weird? She's disgusting.

She should've waited a few more years, like Demi Moore, then no one would consider the age difference relevant.

Let's see....if Demi had met Ashton when he was 14, Demi would 've been 32. Now that she's 44 and he's 26, people think..."Wow, you go girl!"

This is not to excuse the actions of this teacher, she should go to jail. There should be no plea agreement. I just think it's odd that you tack 5-10 years on the ages, and everyone thinks it's cute?

Hoot said:
She should've waited a few more years, like Demi Moore, then no one would consider the age difference relevant.

Let's see....if Demi had met Ashton when he was 14, Demi would 've been 32. Now that she's 44 and he's 26, people think..."Wow, you go girl!"

This is not to excuse the actions of this teacher, she should go to jail. There should be no plea agreement. I just think it's odd that you tack 5-10 years on the ages, and everyone thinks it's cute?

I think the Demi-Ashton thing is disgusting.

aps said:
I think the Demi-Ashton thing is disgusting.

You must be a Bruce Willis fan? LOL

I agree though, I always thought Demi looked great, and put those younger girls to shame, but now I question if her elevator goes all the way to the top floor? She coulda had me...a mature, intelligent, good looking and experienced man...ROTFL.

Damn..I could've quit my job and Demi could've been my Sugar Mommy!

Oh well...gotta keep working.

Hoot said:
You must be a Bruce Willis fan? LOL

I agree though, I always thought Demi looked great, and put those younger girls to shame, but now I question if her elevator goes all the way to the top floor? She coulda had me...a mature, intelligent, good looking and experienced man...ROTFL.

Damn..I could've quit my job and Demi could've been my Sugar Mommy!

Oh well...gotta keep working.

LOL I am an anti-Demi fan. This has nothing to do with Bruce Willis. She lied about getting a boob job. Watch her in "About Last Night" and "St. Elmo's Fire." Notice how small her boobs are. I hate women who LIE about getting one. It's not a big deal, but just fess up. I don't find her to be a classy woman. Blech.

Back
Top Bottom