• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Philadelphia gas station owner hires heavily armed guards to protect business: 'We are tired of this nonsense'

Ever been to St. Lawrence County? I feel safer in Harlem.

No idea of the county, but very early in life, just entering my twenties, I happened to venture from my large city to a really tiny economically dying upstate NY town - staying a bit.

I was taken back by the despair and lack of opportunity - or even hope - for the small crowd of young people I ran with. Half of their peers had moved away, and the small group left was like a miserable, unhappy, desperate, dysfunctional, inter-related family. I was surprised to find that due to their being such a small limited same-age cohort of only 15-20, many of them had dated each other over the years! I was taken back by that.

And now the girls were all paying attention to the new guys in town, much to the chagrin of the local boys who often were their ex's or their "sometimes thing"! Yow, the emotions often flew! It became tedious as hell, and pretty damn uncomfortable.

I swear, the desperation & despair was highly palpable in everything we did. Right then & there I blessed my days of being a city-boy. I sometimes, as an adult, toy-around with the idea of retiring in a more rural area. But I can't imagine being young in that situation. I felt for those young people. Even more so, when just before I left two of them (separately) asked me to take them with me "to see the city". I politely refrained.

Life for teens & early twenties in places like that must be crushing. But this was a very, very, small dying town. Hopefully larger or more economically viable small towns don't suffer from what I saw in that little back-water hamlet I was in.

That experience stayed with me until today.

So don't use your cell phone near the pumps but tasers, AR-15s and/or shotguns are safe?

I imagine he is going to have an issue when his profit margin declines greatly due to not only having to pay for this security and their training, but also likely for increased insurance costs.

This is 2022.

The city is Philadelphia.

Democrats run the city and state.

Mr. P. should shut his business down and move to another city in another state.

He is just asking for trouble.

He could be sued or even arrested if one of those hoodlums is simply touched by those security guards.

The bad guys are free to do whatever they want in today's America.

The situation is hopeless.
If it was good enough for kyle rittenhouse I think it's ok for this business owner to protect his property, no?

A Philadelphia gas station owner fed up with incessant crime threatening his employees and customers hired heavily armed security guards to watch over his business.

Neil Patel, operator of a Karco gas station at Broad and Clearfield streets in North Philadelphia, recruited Pennsylvania S.I.T.E Agents clad with Kevlar vest and AR-15s or shotguns.

<snip>

The final straw for Patel came after he said his business was vandalized by young people and an ATM machine was stolen. His car was also a casualty of crime around the area.

——————

Good for him. If the government won’t provide basic policing services, it’s up to the residents to take care of their own safety and security.
Kyle Rittenhouse, where are you when we need you?

Its been said earlier...if you have to have armed guards to run a business, it might be time to shutter and relocate your business.

If enough people do, then maybe the shithole that the leftists have created will implode, or they might decide its finally time to do something to fix the problem. Either way...

A Philadelphia gas station owner fed up with incessant crime threatening his employees and customers hired heavily armed security guards to watch over his business.

Neil Patel, operator of a Karco gas station at Broad and Clearfield streets in North Philadelphia, recruited Pennsylvania S.I.T.E Agents clad with Kevlar vest and AR-15s or shotguns.

<snip>

The final straw for Patel came after he said his business was vandalized by young people and an ATM machine was stolen. His car was also a casualty of crime around the area.

——————

Good for him. If the government won’t provide basic policing services, it’s up to the residents to take care of their own safety and security.
Politics? Why not law and order?

-snip-

——————

You have no remedies that will stand up to facts, merely "all you can eat" Murdoch media distraction intended for least educated white voters most likely to be sympathetic to white christian nationalist (AKA fascist) grievances.

https://news.yahoo.com › stitts-false-claim-oklahomas-crime-164638446.html

Stitt's false claim about Oklahoma's crime rate a key moment during ...

"October 21, 2022, During Wednesday's debate between the top two candidates for governor, Democrat Joy Hofmeister listed off statistics about violent crime being higher in Oklahoma than in New York and California, two Democrat-controlled states that Gov. Kevin Stitt regularly criticizes as being crime-infested..."

https://www.usatoday.com › story › money › columnist › 2018 › 10 › 21 › midterms-poorest-states-have-republican-legislatures › 1694273002

Midterms: Poorest states have Republican legislatures - USA TODAY

Oct 21, 2018 Eighteen of the 19 poorest states have legislatures where both chambers are Republican controlled. New Mexico (46th richest, fifth poorest) is Democratic. But there isn't another blue or purple

Pennsylvania incarcerates 669 per 100,000

World Incarceration Rates If Every U.S. State Were A Country
Louisiana 1,094
Mississippi 1,031
Oklahoma 993
Georgia (State) 968
Arkansas 942
Alabama 938
Kentucky 930
Arizona 868
Texas 840
Florida 795
Massachusetts 275

Massachusetts has 1/4 the per capita incarceration rate of Louisiana
https://www.bostonglobe.com › 2021/12/07 › metro › sho...are down in Boston this year ..
Dec 7, 2021 — Total shooting incidents also were down, from 224 last year to 163 this year. Overall, what police refer to as Part 1 crime, which includes ...

2. Massachusetts

65.60% - Biden32.14% - Trump
> Median household income: $85,843
> Adults with at least a bachelor’s degree: 45.0% (the highest)
> Poverty rate:
9.4% (8th lowest)
> Population: 6,892,503

49. West Virginia

68.62% - Trump29.69% - Biden
> Median household income: $48,850
> Adults with at least a bachelor’s degree: 21.1% (the lowest)
> Poverty rate:
16.0% (6th highest)> Median home value: $124,600 (the lowest)> Population:1,792,147

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democ...United_States#Religious_and_white_nationalism
"Every Republican voted against a July 2022 House measure requiring Homeland Security, the FBI and the Defense Department to "publish a report that analyzes and sets out strategies to combat white supremacist and neo-Nazi activity" in their ranks. A 2019 survey of active service members found that about one third had "personally witnessed examples of white nationalism or ideological-driven racism within the ranks in recent months." About one fifth of those who were charged for participating in the January 6 attack were veterans, with some on active service. .."

Last edited:
I notice you’ve completely failed to address the reasons why this business owner felt like he needed to hire a security company, which is the real story.

If you find out anything regarding all of your off-topic questions, please let us know.
The "real story" is that Fox is upsetting you again.

in response to "North Philly isn't a suburban paradise with no crime?"

Some time ago while visiting in laws in Philly on South Street across the street from their apartment was what looked to be a prison. Well I got curious so I investigated. Once on the other side of this massive structure I came upon what looked to be like a rough part of town. Bars on all windows and doors. Suddenly I began to think this not my business. Then out of nowhere this rather large black dude came upon me and said " Hey white boy you better leave now" then pointed me in the correct direction.

Of course I did not ask any questions. Once I returned my in-laws asked where I went. Once I described my journey the reply was "never do that again you are lucky to return from that trip" .......

I'm not sure where I was .....my mind was expanded quickly about big city neighborhoods. Need I say more?
I lived in Philly for over a decade.

Bars on windows/doors is standard in some neighborhoods. I think that's pretty normal in any major city.

It was 679.5 in 2019 and 672.9 in 2020. Like other cities they are trying to make up for their earlier budget reductions. Seattle is doing the same thing with similar results.
Why are you ignoring that the budget increased in 2022?

The owner of the machine is responsible for taking care of the cash. Here’s a link that describes how to get into the ATM business.

I don’t know if any gas station owners that have one, but I’ve seen them in businesses before, including a cash only restaurant in Philadelphia several years ago.

I know how they get into the ATM business (which seldom happens because they can't afford to pay the network fees).

Gas stations have them because a financial institution leases them, services them, and pays the fees on them. The property owner gets a few cents per transaction. Just like in the airports.

Back to the thread topic. I still don't understand what the political angle of this story is.

If you are sick of endless threads, then it clearly can't be ONE example now can it?
In a country with 300+ million people, there's crime every day somewhere. If you crawl through the internet, you can find it.

No, it’s that crime is getting worse. Cities are reducing their police budgets and others who are trying to reverse that trend are finding it difficult to recruit enough police officers. DAs are being lenient with convicted criminals and repeat offenders, and no city is doing a good job with homeless populations and the increase in crime they’re responsible for.

I wasn’t. Maybe you should read the entire conversation.

If you know Philly did not decrease their budget, why did you post what you did earlier (post quoted above)? And as I said, Philly has the 4th largest police force in the country. 9000 or so.

If you know Philly did not decrease their budget, why did you post what you did earlier (post quoted above)? And as I said, Philly has the 4th largest police force in the country. 9000 or so.
They did decrease it the two years prior to the increase.

Back
Top Bottom