• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Phil Mickelson Faces 61 Percent Tax Rate Following Back-To-Back Wins

Blatantly false!:lol: Constitutional right!:lol: Anti-American!:lol:

Sure, every citizen has the right to tell us how much of other people's money they think they are entitled to. Just don't expect those opinions to resonate with those of us who see class envy for what it really is.

Glad you have come to your senses and are no longer telling people what opinions they can type here.

You have me terribly confused with somebody who cares what "those of us" think about this topic and your faux 'class envy' sillyness.

Pssst: you got it reversed. Progressive modern societies make it possible for guys like Mickleson to become multimillionaires. Aren't too many progolfers in Afghanistan and Somalia -- the conservatives' paradise of low taxes.

Geeze, and here golf just held their 143rd Open Championship, and you guys just crawled out from under the woodwork in the last 10-15 years or so.

Something tells me you've the time lines all messed up again.

Obviously with California as an example of what Progressives can do over the last 15 years, making millionaires is like expecting President Obama to lead.

How will California -- the largest US state economy and the 10th largest economy in the world -- survive without Phil Mickelson ? This is a disaster.

I hope he enjoys living in Alabama. He can watch the polluted swamp water flow by his porch.

Psst, before Progressives took control 15 years ago, it was 5th.

Dang it's like fish in a barrel....:2wave:

There are lots of successful people outside of the PGA. Doctors, lawyers, accountants, and businessmen of all sorts earn the top rate. Don't pigeonhole yourself.
This stupid, I never said there are not "successful people", the comparison was between having the luck of the draw to have a talent to hit a tiny ball (which is primarily a matter of genetic blessings) and winning the lottery.

I think the fact that he wants out of California pretty much says it all.
Yeah, it is a statement of his greed. No one forced him to move to CA in the first place, he lived here in AZ, I'm sure he has lots of homes spread out around the world. Who cares? Why do you?

This is what losers do. You fail in the real world and not only do you blame that failure on other's success, you take it a step further and present this kind of false intellectualism in a pathetic attempt to be perceived as superior to those that you envy.

Hows that for irony?
What am I "blaming" him for? FFS, your fantasies about me, your telling me what I can comment on, your obsessing over what happens to this multi-millionaire freak athlete..... is so weird.

More vague, pointless partisan hackery. First he isn't paying any 'more' than his due, same as the rest of us and he gets several sweeeeeet tax dodges the vast majority of us don't have assess to. Second HE and a few harpies are bitching over his taxes, not me, again you twist what is said. Third I pay my taxes and am not dependent on him. The F35 project maybe but not me.

Like I said, he oughta shut-up, pose with the big check, have his accountants bury the tax liability like a cat does crap, and smile all the way home. He, and for that matter, NO ONE has shown where he pays anymore than 25% of his after all tax deductions income in taxes. His 61% percent lament is pure bull crap. (Seeing how KPMG is a major Phil backer he ought to stop embarrassing them- they are a major player in tax consulting, he is saying they can't help him :shock: )

But let him move, I'll hold the door for him and make sure it closes firmly after he leaves. This nation really doesn't need his money- as long as he takes his happy ass on out the country :2wave:

But, but, but, since you demand his income to pay for your entitlements, what are you going to do when the rich don't stay rich?

Find someone else to blame and exploit?

Step up, control your own destiny, or step down and stop complaining.

:golf

Fairness is in the eye of the beholder.

Tell you what, I'll give you the win on the FICA cap. Now, you explain capital gains to me. If I go to work and get paid $1M, I'll end up paying about 1/3 of my income net.

If I place my money with an investment banker and make $1M, I'll pay 15%.

While I don't think taxing "the rich" is a terrible thing in and of itself, and I don't think exempting the poor is a wisdom either, I'd say that the tax rates are pretty reasonable and functional. All these thoughts are predicated on the assumption that we need taxes at all.

Now CA is, well, special. You get the best weather in the world. You have miles of beautiful coastline. You have Rodeo Drive, you have surfers:). So yeah, they do hit you pretty hard. But I see that 32 million of you still like living there while I live in a state so barren that the USG owns 90% of the land. So, you sort of get what you pay for.

As for income volatility, yes, I'm very familiar with that. That's why I have always chosen to live modestly, below my means. I don't have mortgages or car payments. I don't have "rob-me" Rolexes. During the fat times, I saved for the lean times. During the early lean times, I saved every possible penny I could to enhance my ability to transcend the barriers to entry for the good times. Nobody is being charged 100% of their income.

Even though I do understand your dismissal of the FICA fees, no matter your income, you will pay sales tax on everything you buy. So if you are rich and buy a Scion and Joe is poor and buys a Scion, you will pay the identical amount of tax. Same goes for FICA, you and Joe will max out at $150K and when you retire, you and Joe will get the same maximum payout.

Balance. It's all about balance. Thats why I keep pushing my tax plan since it matches everyone with their finances. Is it form before function or function before form?

Good conversation. Thanks.

It's good to encourage people to put money at risk. If I put money with an investment banker, they can, well, invest it. That means new business, or new capital for R&D. That mean bonds to places like California who have hidden their deficits through bonds.

Now that money could be lost. Think Detroit.

Now if we want to grow the country, and we want to put our assets to work, we need to encourage investment that is at risk. Getting a bonus of a lower tax rate on the income is just part of the deal.

By the way, if I'm rich, I'm not buying a Scion, I'm buying a Bentley, and paying 2 guys to detail it every month. In California I'll pay $1,200 year to register it.

I'll also buy a big boat, and pay a crew to run it, and I buy a big house, and hire a staff to keep it clean, then I'll.

I guess if I'm rich, I'm probably supporting a least a dozen people who then can afford that Scion.

But, but, but, since you demand his income to pay for your entitlements, what are you going to do when the rich don't stay rich? Find someone else to blame and exploit? Step up, control your own destiny, or step down and stop complaining.

:golf

Can't refute anything I've said, so you resort to twisting- kind of sad. I never said I demand anything- I said he isn't paying 61% of his income in taxes and he will NEVER offer the proof to that lie.

The rich will stay very rich, Mickelson is in no danger of being poor due to taxes. I don't get nor expect any entitlements, I PAY taxes. I control my own destiny as much as any man can- can't stop a tornado or cancer but as best i can plan for me and my family I have. What I have I earned, from scars to nice pick-up, from land to cattle I started with nothing but an old truck and a dream, so bite me if i don't sit still for your entitlement crap.

What is very funny about your last line is the complaining was started by the 'conservatives' about poor, poor Phil having to pay taxes. :roll:

'Conservatives' start the whine fest and then accuse others of doing the griping... :doh

One of his sponsors is a tax consulting group- no way he pays 61% in taxes.... so step off and find a new poor rich folks lament, this one is as bogus as a hooker's smile...

But of course it is.

That you can't understand that is why you are who you are...
If you think that freakish athletic abilities is a real example of Horatio Alger, you ought to reconsider the whole concept.

Growing up in Scottsdale and San Diego with an airline Dad, going to ASU on a golf scholarship....is not exactly a "rags to riches" tale.

Can't refute anything I've said, so you resort to twisting- kind of sad. I never said I demand anything- I said he isn't paying 61% of his income in taxes and he will NEVER offer the proof to that lie.

The rich will stay very rich, Mickelson is in no danger of being poor due to taxes. I don't get nor expect any entitlements, I PAY taxes. I control my own destiny as much as any man can- can't stop a tornado or cancer but as best i can plan for me and my family I have. What I have I earned, from scars to nice pick-up, from land to cattle I started with nothing but an old truck and a dream, so bite me if i don't sit still for your entitlement crap.

What is very funny about your last line is the complaining was started by the 'conservatives' about poor, poor Phil having to pay taxes. :roll:

'Conservatives' start the whine fest and then accuse others of doing the griping... :doh

One of his sponsors is a tax consulting group- no way he pays 61% in taxes.... so step off and find a new poor rich folks lament, this one is as bogus as a hooker's smile...

Resort to twisting?

And you write "More vague, pointless partisan hackery"... How do you know what Phil Michelson pays? Do you have a clue? Are you privey to his tax returns?

Yet you claim I posted partisan hackery.

Again, you should be praying to the Progressive gods that the Phil Michelsons of the world keep making money, and even more money. Your Progressive agenda depends on that money, because it's sure not coming from those people Progressives front for.

Hope that bite didn't hurt too much.

If you think that freakish athletic abilities is a real example of Horatio Alger, you ought to reconsider the whole concept.

Growing up in Scottsdale and San Diego with an airline Dad, going to ASU on a golf scholarship....is not exactly a "rags to riches" tale.

And that Luke, is why you fail...

Greetings, Ocean515. :2wave:

Well, reading your response means that I am going to watch that movie again! I never get tired of Star Wars! Thanks for the reminder! :thumbs:

Greetings, Ocean515. :2wave:

Well, reading your response means that I am going to watch that movie again! I never get tired of Star Wars! Thanks for the reminder! :thumbs:

Hi Polgara - You get home yet?

So many good lines from those films...

I suppose Detroit bonds looked like a good investment. Wonder how old those bonds are?

I have no problem with a lower, or even zero tax rate for money placed at true risk in a physical environment. You want to manufacture widgets and 10 of you put up capital (or 100 or whatever) and you sell that business later at a profit, thank you for your societal contribution. You invest in hedge funds that swap pieces of paper around, nah, pay the full boat - you contributed nada to society. Muni bonds are already tax free.

I don't know your age but:

if I'm rich, I'm not buying a Scion, I'm buying a Bentley, and paying 2 guys to detail it every month. In California I'll pay $1,200 year to register it.
I'll also buy a big boat, and pay a crew to run it, and I buy a big house, and hire a staff to keep it clean, then I'll.
I guess if I'm rich, I'm probably supporting a least a dozen people who then can afford that Scion.

you might discover that it gave you more work and less pleasure than you thought it would so you opted for a simpler life. Maybe. A Bentley attracts attention. Most of that attention is envy, anger or an invitation to exploit. The 2 guys who take care of it diminish your privacy. I hope you get rich and find out how it feels.

There's an ancient but still interestingly valid book abou this: The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy by Thomas J. Stanley, PdD and William D. Danko, PhD - First Edition, 1st Edition - Printing 1998: Amazon.com: Books

Scions are cute, and easy to park.

It's good to encourage people to put money at risk. If I put money with an investment banker, they can, well, invest it. That means new business, or new capital for R&D. That mean bonds to places like California who have hidden their deficits through bonds.

Now that money could be lost. Think Detroit.

Now if we want to grow the country, and we want to put our assets to work, we need to encourage investment that is at risk. Getting a bonus of a lower tax rate on the income is just part of the deal.

By the way, if I'm rich, I'm not buying a Scion, I'm buying a Bentley, and paying 2 guys to detail it every month. In California I'll pay $1,200 year to register it.

Yeah, it is a statement of his greed. No one forced him to move to CA in the first place, he lived here in AZ, I'm sure he has lots of homes spread out around the world. Who cares? Why do you?
Statement of greed, huh? Perhaps if you were ever in the position of having to fork over a couple of million or move you might look at it differently.

What am I "blaming" him for? FFS, your fantasies about me, your telling me what I can comment on, your obsessing over what happens to this multi-millionaire freak athlete..... is so weird.
I never told you what you could and could not comment on. I merely pointed out that you were not in a position to comment credibly. But feel free to hack away in spite of that.

Did nobody notice that 45% of the taxes Mickelson is supposed to pay are going to the government of England? - not the US. Then there's the 'small' matter of tax-deductible expenses subtracted from the total to be taxed. So as others have noted it is extremely unlikely that Mr Mickleson is going to pay 61% of the $2.16 million.

Resort to twisting? And you write "More vague, pointless partisan hackery"... How do you know what Phil Michelson pays? Do you have a clue? Are you privey to his tax returns? Yet you claim I posted partisan hackery. Again, you should be praying to the Progressive gods that the Phil Michelsons of the world keep making money, and even more money. Your Progressive agenda depends on that money, because it's sure not coming from those people Progressives front for. Hope that bite didn't hurt too much.

It is simple, IF Phil actually paid 61% he would publish it, he was quite ardent at the time.

What he did was copy a tirade making the rounds on 'conservative' blogs, you take the nominal tax rates- forget the rates are for brackets- not every penny made, forget everything from deductions, expenses, tax shelters, his Foundation and the fact state taxes don't piggy back on federal taxes- pull a vague number for sales and property taxes and TAH DAH you have his mythical 61%. It isn't a real number and been called crap for awhile now.

But no one, especially the very rich who are SPONSORED by a tax consultant firm, pays 61% in taxes.

You have no clue what the 'progressive' agenda is, certainly no clue on my personal view on it. How many 'conservatives' are quick to push away from any crap storm in the 'conservative' ranks as 'they don't speak for me' "I don't recall voting on him being my spokesperson/leader". I'd be happy with the cap on SSA coming off and all income, so-called capital gains, inheritance, bonuses, hell give lottery winners a break and stop taking so much of their money, if all income no matter the vehicle gets taxed at the same rate.

You are not even nibbling on my little toe. :lol:

No dear, your failure is not understanding what a Horatio Alger tale is.

Mickelson is not a rags to riches tale, it is a tale of a fairly privileged child growing up in an extremely supportive environment and finding out he has a talent for hitting a small ball.

I suppose Detroit bonds looked like a good investment. Wonder how old those bonds are?

I have no problem with a lower, or even zero tax rate for money placed at true risk in a physical environment. You want to manufacture widgets and 10 of you put up capital (or 100 or whatever) and you sell that business later at a profit, thank you for your societal contribution. You invest in hedge funds that swap pieces of paper around, nah, pay the full boat - you contributed nada to society. Muni bonds are already tax free.

I don't know your age but:

you might discover that it gave you more work and less pleasure than you thought it would so you opted for a simpler life. Maybe. A Bentley attracts attention. Most of that attention is envy, anger or an invitation to exploit. The 2 guys who take care of it diminish your privacy. I hope you get rich and find out how it feels.

There's an ancient but still interestingly valid book abou this: The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy by Thomas J. Stanley, PdD and William D. Danko, PhD - First Edition, 1st Edition - Printing 1998: Amazon.com: Books

Scions are cute, and easy to park.

But a Bentley has a twin turbo W12 engine, and the Continental Supersport Coupe can do 200mph. I don't really care about the attention thing.

Again, think of all the people one supports. A tune up is a couple of thousand dollars. Tires are about $2,000 a set mounted. Think of the sales tax!

As to age and accomplishment, this is an anonymous blog, if I wrote I'm almost 60, and well, let's say, very well set, I could be bluffing...

It is simple, IF Phil actually paid 61% he would publish it, he was quite ardent at the time.

What he did was copy a tirade making the rounds on 'conservative' blogs, you take the nominal tax rates- forget the rates are for brackets- not every penny made, forget everything from deductions, expenses, tax shelters, his Foundation and the fact state taxes don't piggy back on federal taxes- pull a vague number for sales and property taxes and TAH DAH you have his mythical 61%. It isn't a real number and been called crap for awhile now.

But no one, especially the very rich who are SPONSORED by a tax consultant firm, pays 61% in taxes.

You have no clue what the 'progressive' agenda is, certainly no clue on my personal view on it. How many 'conservatives' are quick to push away from any crap storm in the 'conservative' ranks as 'they don't speak for me' "I don't recall voting on him being my spokesperson/leader". I'd be happy with the cap on SSA coming off and all income, so-called capital gains, inheritance, bonuses, hell give lottery winners a break and stop taking so much of their money, if all income no matter the vehicle gets taxed at the same rate.

You are not even nibbling on my little toe. :lol:

Ewww. And I don't ever plan to....:2wave:

Statement of greed, huh? Perhaps if you were ever in the position of having to fork over a couple of million or move you might look at it differently.
When it only represents 25% of my multimillions income....I wouldn't make too much of it since it puts me at the top of the pyramid.

Humble...it is not.

I never told you what you could and could not comment on. I merely pointed out that you were not in a position to comment credibly. But feel free to hack away in spite of that.
That is an outright lie, but I'm interested.....who exactly is "credible" to comment on tax rates? You?

IS that irony thingy making any kind of impact on you yet?
Anything?

FFS!

No dear, your failure is not understanding what a Horatio Alger tale is.

Mickelson is not a rags to riches tale, it is a tale of a fairly privileged child growing up in an extremely supportive environment and finding out he has a talent for hitting a small ball.

What if there are two Horatio Algers, and you don't know about the other one?

What if there are two Horatio Algers, and you don't know about the other one?
What if you have no argument left and are just pulling out crap and seeing if it sticks?

I didn't mean to ask your age or accomplishment. Just trying for perspective.

Thanks for the sales taxes. I know CA needs them.:)

But a Bentley has a twin turbo W12 engine, and the Continental Supersport Coupe can do 200mph. I don't really care about the attention thing.

Again, think of all the people one supports. A tune up is a couple of thousand dollars. Tires are about $2,000 a set mounted. Think of the sales tax!

As to age and accomplishment, this is an anonymous blog, if I wrote I'm almost 60, and well, let's say, very well set, I could be bluffing...

Back
Top Bottom