• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Perceptions of Discrimination

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
This is a fascinating chart and accompanying article.

PRRI_race_beliefs.png

https://www.prri.org/spotlight/republicans-white-black-reverse-discrimination/

Never mind that there is a plethora of evidence that, in fact, racial minorities have it much worse in America. A recent study, for example, found that people are more likely to see black men as larger and more threatening than white men, even if the black men are not actually larger. And black and Latino Americans still trail white Americans in terms of wealth, income, and educational attainment.

Regardless of those facts, the view that white Americans are now the oppressed is one shared by many Trump supporters and Republicans.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/8/2/16082730/trump-racism-affirmative-action

There are some clear, and rather amazing, differences between the opinions of Democrats and Republicans on this issue.

Besides the nutty notion that Blacks are the least discriminated people in the US, Republicans believe that Whites are discriminated against more than Gays and Immigrants, only slightly less than Muslims. The only groups they clearly agree are discriminated against more than them are Transpeople and Christians. They actually believe Christians (tied with Trans) are the most discriminated against group in the US.

Democrats, OTOH, are much more rational in their assessment. They bunch all the groups which are obviously discriminated against together. Hence you see low ratings for Whites and Christians but very high ratings for gays, blacks, trans, immigrants and Muslims, all of which are bunched in the high 70's and low to mid 80's. Although, there may very well be some debate on which sub-group within that band is discriminated against the most, they don't miss the bigger picture like Republicans obviously do.

So, my question is this. How can Republicans have such a distorted view on reality?

So, my question is this. How can Republicans have such a distorted view on reality?

Perhaps it's a classic case of out of sight out of mind. Don't see/experience it 1st hand then it doesn't exist.

I think Asians probably get the worst of it from the younger generation's perspective.
A black man or woman will get into a good school before a white or especially an Asian.
That is institutionalized racism. But it's for the greater good of course. Just ask a liberal.

Privilege is a code word for just shut up and take it. Can there be anything but a backlash? Liberals lose ground again.

It does illustrate what a **** show the democrat party has become with the attitude "Whites and Christians get off free, while everyone else has an ax to grind. Get me more grinding stones to sharpen those axes!"

Perhaps it's a classic case of out of sight out of mind. Don't see/experience it 1st hand then it doesn't exist.

How many white privileged liberals have experienced black life first hand?

How can you determine who (if anyone) has a “distorted view on reality” unless you have some objective measure of what reality is? You seem to be basing your assessment on your own perception but it’s perfectly possible that is flawed too. On top of that you have issues of how different people could have vastly different perceptions of what is “discrimination” and “a lot”.

PRRI_race_beliefs.png

https://www.prri.org/spotlight/republicans-white-black-reverse-discrimination/

There are some clear, and rather amazing, differences between the opinions of Democrats and Republicans on this issue.

Besides the nutty notion that Blacks are the least discriminated people in the US, Republicans believe that Whites are discriminated against more than Gays and Immigrants, only slightly less than Muslims. The only groups they clearly agree are discriminated against more than them are Transpeople and Christians. They actually believe Christians (tied with Trans) are the most discriminated against group in the US.

Democrats, OTOH, are much more rational in their assessment. They bunch all the groups which are obviously discriminated against together. Hence you see low ratings for Whites and Christians but very high ratings for gays, blacks, trans, immigrants and Muslims, all of which are bunched in the high 70's and low to mid 80's. Although, there may very well be some debate on which sub-group within that band is discriminated against the most, they don't miss the bigger picture like Republicans obviously do.

I find it interesting that they didn't include women on the list. I personally at least in the last decade or so have not witnessed discrimination against a black person. Not saying it doesn't happen. Just saying I haven't seen any myself.
I have seen some against gay people, I have seen some against immigrants although it wasn't against Hispanic immigrants but rather against eastern European ones, I have seen some against women and I have seen some against white people.

Let me ask you a question.

Which groups is it OK to hate and not be labeled racist or xenophobic or anything else for hating those groups?

Because they see it as discrimination to have to share the culture with anyone besides themselves.

It's "discrimination" to not have only their religion represented. It's "discrimination" for other people to have the same marriage rights they do. It's "discrimination" for them to have to compete with people who are not like them, rather than just being assumed superior from the start.

They used to have ownership of all of those things, and they see having to share it with others as discrimination.

They want to turn on the TV and see nothing but themselves, the way they used to. Not having such overt dominance of the culture is "discrimination."

And they're not wrong that we're taking something away from them. But it's something they never should have had in the first place: total ownership of the entire American conversation at the expense of everyone else.

For the sake of the republicans surveyed I REALLY hope those number arent real, I really hope it was done in error or in a deceitful way to get results somebody wanted because the numbers paint of picture of bat**** insane of the republicans polled. (not all of course because millions of republicans dont feel that way)

Let me ask you a question.

Which groups is it OK to hate and not be labeled racist or xenophobic or anything else for hating those groups?

on the list? none

The only institutionalized racism in this country is against White and Asian people with affirmative action with jobs and colleges.

In my personal experience i've witnessed more racism from black people to white people than the other way around. I've actually never seen an outright racist confrontation between a white person to a black person(with my own eyes in person)... though I have between a black to a white person(and been the victim of)...though I am from a younger generation(I'm 27). I have actually seen racism against an Indian person and an asian gf I had. I also listen to many black people who i'm friends with on how black people speak about white people in black friend groups... I also know the same in asian groups... and it's VERY different than how white people speak about other people of a certain races...white people tend to be more politically correct even amongst white people... while a lot of that goes out the window in other groups when it comes to race. My guess this is in part, because if you are a minority in this country racial differences become a much bigger focus in your life... and it's constantly in our culture to be very focused on race, especially if you are in a minority....

I lived in the South my entire life... and I've only sen one racist white family... only one. And they were more the Malcom X kind of racists... separate but equal.

Does racist happen against black people? Of course it does... I did not deny that... I bet racism occurs more against black people than anyone else, but, in my opinion, it is WAAAY overblown according to my own experience and the statistics I've looked at. Black arrest rates correlate almost perfectly with the rate they are committing crime. They get a huge advantage in getting into college and jobs(If they are conscientious). An individual black person, who is hard working and stays clear of trouble, has a noticeable advantage over everyone else who has the same.... the problem is, segments of the black community have a culture that does not encourage hard work and staying clear of trouble.

Why are significant portions of the black community having a hard time staying out of trouble and making good choices in life? Probably because of past racism.... though other cultures have managed to overcome that by simply enhancing their culturally values to become successful.

I'm someone who has more "colored" friends than white ones.

So you'll holler at anyone that calls any of those groups racists? Xenophobic?

No. I don't generally holler at people.

What conversation needs to be had depends on a lot of things; I'd be having a different conversation with each of them.

How can you determine who (if anyone) has a “distorted view on reality” unless you have some objective measure of what reality is? You seem to be basing your assessment on your own perception but it’s perfectly possible that is flawed too. On top of that you have issues of how different people could have vastly different perceptions of what is “discrimination” and “a lot”.

The "all Americans" category in the chart is your reality check.

I dont know about holler lol but i definitely call people out when they group people together. Everybody should but it takes a degree of honesty and objectivity.

There are racists and xenophobes in all those groups. But only the Whites and Christians, due to sheer numbers, hold enough sway in this society to put their racism and xenophobia into action via crazy things like travel bans, border walls, redlining, military service bans, and ongoing arguments over eliminating marriage rights.

I find it interesting that they didn't include women on the list. I personally at least in the last decade or so have not witnessed discrimination against a black person. Not saying it doesn't happen. Just saying I haven't seen any myself.
I have seen some against gay people, I have seen some against immigrants although it wasn't against Hispanic immigrants but rather against eastern European ones, I have seen some against women and I have seen some against white people.

Women are certainly discriminated against. In all my years of work in technical manufacturing, I have not seen a single woman in upper executive positions, unless they inherited the company and are its face, usually as an image thing or chance to earn points as a minority owned company. In essence, however, each one of those companies has been managed by men.

Blacks? I have yet to see a single black man ever hold a position above mine...and that is just ridiculous because I know black executives exist in other fields.

How can anyone have such a distorted view on reality? Chart and article creators thrive on division and distortion of reality, and are just fine with discontent, just like hot headed talk show hosts.
Creating victims where few exist makes a fine headline. Look around you, we are getting along just fine if we don't listen to the self righteous who are creating distrust and anxiety . Of course you will find a few bigots in any community. That is called life and it is not confined to any particular people.

How can anyone have such a distorted view on reality? Chart and article creators thrive on division and distortion of reality, and are just fine with discontent, just like hot headed talk show hosts.
Creating victims where few exist makes a fine headline. Look around you, we are getting along just fine if we don't listen to the self righteous who are creating distrust and anxiety . Of course you will find a few bigots in any community. That is called life and it is not confined to any particular people.

We are not getting along just fine. Thinking we do, in light of recent events and elections, is absurd.

Back
Top Bottom