• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

P B S

Should taxpayers foot the bill for PBS regardless of its slant

• Total voters
DeeJayH said:
1 out of every 3 americans watch it?
i highly doubt that
I dont know anybody personally that watches it

That would be anectdotal evidence. It's like me saying I don't know any smart Republicans, I can't imagine that there are any.

Liberal Because I Care said:
Even if this were true, how can you twist this into supporting Clinton? I heard many reports on the harassment allegations, the Whitewater scandal, and, of course, Monica Lewinsky. They just didn't do it in the entertainment news style of the cable news channels. I appreciate PBS's "just the facts" style of news reporting. Sounds like you want juicy gossip type news.

Ya right the American public has been so inundated with liberal media propaganda that they actually believe that the Clinton impeachment scandal was about him getting a b.j. just ask around and they'll tell you. The fact of the matter is that Clinton had some of the shadiest dealings since Ulysses S. Grant but you'll never hear about them in fact you'll be accused of witch hunting and being an evil neo-con. We still haven't gotten the able danger story onto the front pages what gives? The fifth estate has become a burnt out mobile home inhabited by squaters.

The fact that the liberals can claim the same thing (many Bush administration back-dealings and conspiracies left out of the news on PBS) shows how balanced the news programs on PBS really are. I've learned that you're only going to hear about some of these things by listening to right-wing or left-wing radio. Hence, the reason I get my news from...

PBS's News Hour with Jim Lehrer
National Public Radio
Sojourners: A Christian Magazine www.sojo.net
The Washington Post
Al Franken (books and radio show)

You can't really blame one news outlet. It's up to you to make sure you look at many sources and pick the ones you trust the most.

hipsterdufus said:
That would be anectdotal evidence. It's like me saying I don't know any smart Republicans, I can't imagine that there are any.

yes it is anecdotal evidence
but i have over 30 relatives
over 50 friends
over 20 business associates
over 100 clients
and numerous neighbors

i have never had one bring to my attention a show they saw on PBS

now given that is atleast 200 people i know and deal with on a regular basis
usine your numbers over 60 of them watch PBS yet none of them have mentioned a single show or issue raised, means i am suspicious of the claim
but who would have thought, at his peak, 1 in 9 people was listening to Rush Limbaugh

The fact that the liberals can claim the same thing (many Bush administration back-dealings and conspiracies left out of the news on PBS) shows how balanced the news programs on PBS really are. I've learned that you're only going to hear about some of these things by listening to right-wing or left-wing radio. Hence, the reason I get my news from...

PBS's News Hour with Jim Lehrer
National Public Radio
Sojourners: A Christian Magazine www.sojo.net
The Washington Post
Al Franken (books and radio show)

You can't really blame one news outlet. It's up to you to make sure you look at many sources and pick the ones you trust the most.

that is hardly a broad political spectrum of information you are taking in
and Al Franken :2rofll: you have to be kidding

I never claimed it was a broad spectrum. I still tune into FOX News Radio and even scan Free Republic once in awhile. This does nothing but solidify my liberal view. I've also looked at other newspapers and tv channels, but find that I can find basically the same things in The Washington Post. Besides, most tv news is so obnoxiously full of hype.

I'll take your rolling on the floor smilie as a cover up for your fear of people like Franken who expose conservative lies on a daily basis. Just to see what you'll do I'll throw out the fact that I also read Michael Moore's books and watch his documentaries.

I never claimed it was a broad spectrum. I still tune into FOX News Radio and even scan Free Republic once in awhile. This does nothing but solidify my liberal view. I've also looked at other newspapers and tv channels, but find that I can find basically the same things in The Washington Post. Besides, most tv news is so obnoxiously full of hype.

I'll take your rolling on the floor smilie as a cover up for your fear of people like Franken who expose conservative lies on a daily basis. Just to see what you'll do I'll throw out the fact that I also read Michael Moore's books and watch his documentaries.

That's funny Rush Limbaugh does the same thing with the liberal lies but when he does it you libs call it propaganda, there's two sides to every issue.

It's up to you to make sure you look at many sources and pick the ones you trust the most.

so you decided to get your 'news' from loons
good for you
hardly lends any credibility to 'looking at many sources and picking the ones you trust'
sounds more like
listening to many sources that TELL YOU EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR
and to call Al Franken a.k.a Stuart Smalley, a news source is absurd
he is a comic
he is an amusement
he is a fanatic
he is irrelevant

Not just no but hell no............PBS is nothing but a mouthpiece for the far left........

Not just no but hell no............PBS is nothing but a mouthpiece for the far left........

:sigh:

Mr T. says: "I pity the fool who don't substantiate his claims!"

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
That's funny Rush Limbaugh does the same thing with the liberal lies but when he does it you libs call it propaganda, there's two sides to every issue.

The problem we have is that Limbaugh / O'Reilly et al are notorious for just making stuff up. It's the difference between opinion and falsehoods.

PS - I have the same problem with Michael Moore too. I just want to get the truth out there.

BTW - Who is the tyrant you speak of in your signature?

DeeJayH said:
so you decided to get your 'news' from loons
good for you
hardly lends any credibility to 'looking at many sources and picking the ones you trust'
sounds more like
listening to many sources that TELL YOU EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR
and to call Al Franken a.k.a Stuart Smalley, a news source is absurd
he is a comic
he is an amusement
he is a fanatic
he is irrelevant

Franken gets the best guests on his show including, John Dickerson, David Brock, Jonathan Alter , Joe Conason, Melanie Sloan, Tom Oliphant and Josh Marshall. It's intelligent discussion and debate with informed liberals, prgressives and independents (with jokes). He also has on as a regular a fan of Limbaugh's show.

I don't get my news from Franken, or Jon Stewart for that matter.

I get my news from The Onion :mrgreen:

I was watching CSPAN-2 this morning and the senate was debating programming on AFRTS.........

Senator Harkin was so upset because our troops overseas wanted to listen to Rush Limbaugh.......It seems like Limbaugh has over 15,000,000 listeners a week where the 2 most popular liberal shows Al Franken and Ed Schultz can't get a million listeners.......

Harkin was trying to sponsor a bill that would cut back on Limbaugh......You have to ask yourself what kind of nazi censorship is that?

Navy Pride said:
I was watching CSPAN-2 this morning and the senate was debating programming on AFRTS.........

Senator Harkin was so upset because our troops overseas wanted to listen to Rush Limbaugh.......It seems like Limbaugh has over 15,000,000 listeners a week where the 2 most popular liberal shows Al Franken and Ed Schultz can't get a million listeners.......

Harkin was trying to sponsor a bill that would cut back on Limbaugh......You have to ask yourself what kind of nazi censorship is that?

New rule. Anytime you use comparisons to Nazis in an argument, you lose. Plus, didn't Rush coin the term feminazis?

Actually, Harkin was trying to get progressive talk show host Ed Shultz on Armed Forces Radio. If you look at AFR's programming it's heavily skewed to the right.

hipsterdufus said:
New rule. Anytime you use comparisons to Nazis in an argument, you lose. Plus, didn't Rush coin the term feminazis?

Actually, Harkin was trying to get progressive talk show host Ed Shultz on Armed Forces Radio. If you look at AFR's programming it's heavily skewed to the right.

Yeah but the people that operate AFRTS said that the listeners were just not there for liberal radio........15,000,000 to 1,000,000 a week is quite a slam dunk...........

Lets face the fact that our military overseas does not want to drink the liberal koolaid..I know that is a tough pill to swallow but its the truth and now Harkin is trying to force it on the troops.......

hipsterdufus said:
Have you ever seen the Journal Editorial Report?
It's hosted by Paul Gigot, the editor of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
I would hardly call the WSJ the mouthpiece of the left.
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/journaleditorialreport/

Have you seen the rest of the programming especially the just retired Bill Moyers?

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
So why did the media try its hardest to make Clintons illegal campain donations, White water realestate scandal, perjury, and sexual harassment cases, all just look like it was all about getting his dick sucked and not worthy of debate?
YIKES! How is it possible to turn a debate about PBS into a post about President Clinton? Will it ever end? PATHETIC! :stop:

Navy Pride said:
It's like reading posts from George Costanza! The only time George got it right was when he went against every instinct in his soul and did the opposite of what he believed to be right.

Mr. Pride...are you George Costanza?

:2rofll:

I could be wrong, but I believe PBS receives about 400 million annually from government funds?

In Bush's recent energy bill he gave oil companies 3 billion in tax breaks.

3 billion in tax breaks to companies, such as Exxon-Mobil, who reported 10 billion in profits in the period covering July through Sept.,2005.

PBS isn't a left-wing vehicle. Some republicans don't like anything unless it leans so far right it resembles the Taliban.

You can have our children learning from Sesame Street, or you can have them learning from the street?

Which is it, GOP?

Navy Pride said:
Have you seen the rest of the programming especially the just retired Bill Moyers?

Sure. And recently departed Ed Tomlinson cut the show down to a 1/2 hour. Tomlinson also spent 10,000 of PBS money to investigate the bias of shows on "NOW" Tomlinson eas recently forced off the board of PBS.

Back
Top Bottom