• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Oxford School Shooting: Guns are more important than the motive

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Never mind the lame diversions and fingers pointing toward cars, swimming pools and bicycles also being dangerous. When it comes to deadly rampages in the classroom, it's the guns. It's too many guns that are too easily accessible. It's retarded parents gifting guns to unstable teens. It's the culture of guns. Guns!
The details are always important, and reporters and investigators are doing their jobs. But when contemplating solutions to this recurring problem, a lot of the discussion over the suspect’s character and intentions may effectively be a diversion from another major culprit here: the gun itself.
Yes, it's the guns.

Without easy access to a gun, the suspect's apparent fantasies of massacring his fellow students may have remained just thoughts scribbled in a journal.
One has to really twist reality to pretend the above is not true. No gun, no massacre. We know this. It's a fact.

Never mind the lame diversions and fingers pointing toward cars, swimming pools and bicycles also being dangerous. When it comes to deadly rampages in the classroom, it's the guns. It's too many guns that are too easily accessible. It's retarded parents gifting guns to unstable teens. It's the culture of guns. Guns!
Yes, it's the guns.
Harvard supports that, on every level, in all the data:

1. Where there are more guns there is more homicide (literature review)
2. Across high-income nations, more guns = more homicide
3. Across states, more guns = more homicide
4. Across states, more guns = more homicide (2)
5. A summary of the evidence on guns and violent death
6. More guns = more homicides of police

Those pesky guns. Always sneaking out and shooting people all on their own.
As a matter of public health and safety, firearm availability is correlated with gun violence.
Gun violence in the U.S. is by far greater than the rest of the developed world, we rank like a third world country, it's embarrassing...shocking.
Related, 1+1=2.

As a matter of public health and safety, firearm availability is correlated with gun violence.
Gun violence in the U.S. is by far greater than the rest of the developed world, we rank like a third world country, it's embarrassing...shocking.
Related, 1+1=2.
The problem is PEOPLE.

Guns are an inanimate object. They can’t do anything without a person pulling the trigger.

Humans will murder and commit crimes even without guns.

Luckily, the right to bear arms is right there in the Constitution.

Don’t like it, try to get enough legislators together to repeal it.

It won’t happen.

Related, 1+1=2.
Whoosh over his head that likely went.

Every gun nut will lie and pretend the opposite it true.

Yep, there is no doubt that personal freedom is the ‘root cause’ of crime. The question then becomes: how much personal freedom are we willing to give up to have less crime?

It is no doubt true that if only criminals and government agents had guns then “gun crime” would drop. After all, if criminals were to find themselves much less likely to encounter armed victims (prey?) then they would have less need to shoot them. The need for criminals to eliminate witnesses would remain, but they could be eliminated in other ways.

Reactions: lwf
Those pesky guns. Always sneaking out and shooting people all on their own.
Respectfully, that's a disingenuous framing of the argument. The argument is that guns allow an individual to project their use of force more effectively. The argument against guns is similar to the argument against letting people buy nukes.

The argument is centered around if the risks of keeping guns around outweigh the benefits. As someone that moved from anti-gun to pro-gun, I think you can make that argument and I think you can make it without framing the argument in a way it isn't being made.

Still using that stupid lame argument, I see.
Still arguing
Respectfully, that's a disingenuous framing of the argument. The argument is that guns allow an individual to project their use of force more effectively. The argument against guns is similar to the argument against letting people buy nukes.

The argument is centered around if the risks of keeping guns around outweigh the benefits. As someone that moved from anti-gun to pro-gun, I think you can make that argument and I think you can make it without framing the argument in a way it isn't being made.
There’s no reason to make the argument.

My right to bear arms is in the Constitution.

If people want to take it away, they’re the ones that have to prove why…and convince the legislature to do so.

Yes, it's the guns.

One has to really twist reality to pretend the above is not true. No gun, no massacre. We know this. It's a fact.

Exactly, cal

Just HILARIOUS watching the gun freaks try to ignore the 800-POUND GORILLA in the room...

Makes more sense then your lame ass argument that some how the gun just jumped up and did it by its
self.
Please cite where I wrote "the gun just jumped up and did it by its
self."

Otherwise admit to your lie.

lol...I know you won't. You've proven that integrity is not part of your posting regimen.

Related, 1+1=2.

All true. With fewer guns, there would be to some degree fewer homicides and certainly fewer gun-related deaths.

It is also true that without alcohol there would be fewer car accidents and no alcohol related deaths.

None of this represents a compelling argument to get rid of either.

All true. With fewer guns, there would be to some degree fewer homicides and certainly fewer gun-related deaths.

It is also true that without alcohol there would be fewer car accidents and no alcohol related deaths.

None of this represents a compelling argument to get rid of either.
Didn't we impose a bunch of laws and punishments for drunk driving?

Doah!

There’s no reason to make the argument.

My right to bear arms is in the Constitution.

If people want to take it away, they’re the ones that have to prove why…and convince the legislature to do so.
We are all part electorate though, are we not? If your argument for a political position is just "heh, this piece of paper says I'm right and you're wrong :cool:" then don't be surprised when the legislature is convinced by their electorate against your position.

Didn't we impose a bunch of laws and punishments for drunk driving?

Doah!

Those laws do not reduce the general privilege to operate cars on public roadways. There are ample laws and punishments to address “gun crime” now. It would be senseless to limit the availability of vehicles or licenses (in general) to try to lessen DUI or any other moving violation.

You accept the gun violence in the United States. I don't. Not much more to say, there is a difference in how you view data like this.
I view it as an abhorrent outlier that needs correcting:

firearm_Page_1.png

We are all part electorate though, are we not? If your argument for a political position is just "heh, this piece of paper says I'm right and you're wrong :cool:" then don't be surprised when the legislature is convinced by their electorate against your position.

I suspect I’ll see a colony on Mars before I see the 2nd repealed, but keep hoping.

You accept the gun violence in the United States. I don't. Not much more to say, there is a difference in how you view data like this.
I view it as an abhorrent outlier that needs correcting:

View attachment 67363391

Fair enough. Yet more Americans die from alcohol abuse than gun violence. Do you also find the much greater human cost of drinkable alcohol abhorrent? If so, and if the death toll of legal drinking is even higher than that of legal firearm ownership, why is the solution not the same?

I suspect I’ll see a colony on Mars before I see the 2nd repealed, but keep hoping.
I'm pro 2A? So I want to see good pro-gun arguments.

Back
Top Bottom