• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

"Outfoxed" Propagandists Smear Walmart

Stace said:
But see, we weren't talking about deductions and such when tax time rolls around. We were talking about what they're taking home every week. Tax returns only happen once a year, and it's not money you should count on receiving. Case in point....I'm used to getting about $600 or so back from my federal taxes.....but last year, even though nothing changed with my filing status or anything, only got $62.

yeah because people that take the taxes out of your check right away, the employer, can do math.

But things like EIC, CTC, ACTC, Hope and LLC, are, credits

So, you have no kids and are not in college (not to mention driving a hybrid car, owning a busniness, renting a house, donating time, goods, or money to charity with receipts, saving for retirement, etc etc etc), or you're getting screwed by whoever does your taxes, or you're making a fair bit of coin. (Screwed twice really, because taxation is the first one of course).

DeeJayH said:
do you have any clue as to what you are speaking about
have you ever run a business? even a small business?

A CEOs job, while it does entail facets of your complaints, is much broader than that. It is a job that somebody skilled in only sweeping a floor could never understand
they create the corporate philosophy and atmosphere which can work to the employee's benefit or detriment
they form and build relationships to grow the business, which is why so many of them come up the Sales route.
you seem to be under the delusion that every CEO is a like the ones at Enron or WCOM
get a clue
the overwhelming majority of CEOs are moral and ethical and brillant
otherwise they would be running a lawn cutting service or a local 7-11

dont hate what you dont understand
you could just as easily rise to the heights of these people you deplore
but instead, i imagine, lumping them into a despicable group makes you sleep better in your basement studio apartment in the ghetto

when was the last time you got a job from a poor man?

They come up the sales route. Sales is code for B.S., brown-nosing, kickbacks, and lack of ethics. You make it sound like cronyism and nepotism has nothing to do with becoming a CEO. Your ad hominem attack on me is funny, but not accurate. Many companies pay millions of dollars to "fire" their CEOs. Please try to convince me that George W. Bush would be who he is if he was born to poor parents. If you can do that, then perhaps you could be the CEO that you speak of.

This just in. Another Wal-Mart scandal.

Ex-Wal-Mart No. 2 to plead guilty?
Thomas Coughlin reportedly set to plead guilty to fraud and tax evasion charges, could get 2 years.
January 6, 2006: 9:22 PM EST

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - Former Wal-Mart Stores Inc. vice chairman, Thomas Coughlin, agreed to plead guilty to federal wire-fraud and tax-evasion charges later this month, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Coughlin, formerly the retailer's No. 2 executive, left the company early last year amid accusations that he misappropriated as much as $500,000 from Wal-Mart through fraudulent reimbursements and improper use of gift cards, the paper said.

Coughlin will plead guilty to five counts of wire fraud and one count of tax evasion, the Journal said citing people familiar with the matter. A court hearing on the plea deal is set for later in January.

Coughlin could face more than two years in prison as part of his settlement.
http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/06/news/companies/scandal_walmart/

independent_thinker2002 said:
They come up the sales route. Sales is code for B.S., brown-nosing, kickbacks, and lack of ethics. You make it sound like cronyism and nepotism has nothing to do with becoming a CEO. Your ad hominem attack on me is funny, but not accurate. Many companies pay millions of dollars to "fire" their CEOs. Please try to convince me that George W. Bush would be who he is if he was born to poor parents. If you can do that, then perhaps you could be the CEO that you speak of.
ahhhhh, the bitter rantings of a low to mid level worker
who can not appreciate what it is a sales person does
try working for a commision
that means being paid for what you produce
nothing more and nothing less
without a salesman most people would have no jobs
because it is the salesman that gets those products on the shelves
just because a CEO has a golden parachute does not mean he is bad
it means he was highly desirbable to the company in question, and he was able to NEGOTIATE the terms to be hired

Being a legacy may get you in the front door, but it does not get you anything after that
Dubya had to earn what he got, like everyone else
does a name help, absolutely
but without follow thru and delivery on promises, a name means nothing
clearly you just hate people who are born in the upperclass, because you think everything is handed to them
that is not the case. Oppurtunities may be , but unless they can follow through and make successes of it, those oppurtunities dry up very quickly
if you only had a clue

and yes i am in sales
i work harder now than in any desk job i had before
every day i have to wake up and wonder if i will get paid
and i earn every penny i make.
as opposed to the drones who do jobs one could train a monkey to do
dont be bitter because you can not rise to what is neccessary to make yourself successful
Sales is a damn hard job and you only get paid when you close the deal
which is why so few can become salesmen
live in your comfortable world of dependable paychecks
but dont bitch and moan because you dont make the big bucks like us salespeople
it is only because you either dont have the ABILITY or you dont have the COURAGE to try
take it deep pica
if it was so easy, there wouldnt be such a high washout rate
if it was so easy, every tom dick and harry would be doing it
but it is an art, and a HIGHLY DEMANDING JOB
i am sure it looks like a joke from the outside, but if you ever had the guts to try it, you would probably wash out like the majority of others who think it is easy
you have seen TOMMY BOY too many times and think it is real world

First, it seems you are trying to sell us on sales.

Most (now mind you: not all) most sales nowadays is selling people things they don't really want, and certaily don't need.

I mean, you understand there are TV commericals on TV right? Car sellers market commericals and deals, to... people... with... cars.

The US market is almost completely saturated in most areas as it is. All that remains is to sell the little bit of growth that occured, and some new people who are buyers, otherwise, it's mostly sell to people who alreayd have the thing you are selling anyway, or at least a functional varient of it.

With of course, the exceptions in part including new technologies and capital acquisition for expansion.

If you're selling cement trucks, industrial machines or large contract goods or services, good for ya.. If you're selling cars to people with cars, well no wonder it's hard....DUH

DeeJayH said:
ahhhhh, the bitter rantings of a low to mid level worker
who can not appreciate what it is a sales person does
try working for a commision
that means being paid for what you produce
nothing more and nothing less
without a salesman most people would have no jobs
because it is the salesman that gets those products on the shelves
just because a CEO has a golden parachute does not mean he is bad
it means he was highly desirbable to the company in question, and he was able to NEGOTIATE the terms to be hired

It is DEMAND that gets products on the shelves. If it isn't, then it is a line of B.S. getting people to buy things they don't want. This is why a CEO negotiates his terms to be hired and then let go. People buy the B.S.

DeeJayH said:
Being a legacy may get you in the front door, but it does not get you anything after that
does a name help, absolutely
but without follow thru and delivery on promises, a name means nothing
clearly you just hate people who are born in the upperclass, because you think everything is handed to them
that is not the case. Oppurtunities may be , but unless they can follow through and make successes of it, those oppurtunities dry up very quickly
if you only had a clue

Dubya had thousands of doors opened for him, not just one. It is hard to lose "old money". Truly you must be an ignoramus to lose it. Poor people don't get the loans that the wealthy do. I am sure you are aware, people don't make money with their own money. They get investors to do so.

DeeJayH said:
and yes i am in sales
i work harder now than in any desk job i had before
every day i have to wake up and wonder if i will get paid
and i earn every penny i make.
as opposed to the drones who do jobs one could train a monkey to do
dont be bitter because you can not rise to what is neccessary to make yourself successful
Sales is a damn hard job and you only get paid when you close the deal
which is why so few can become salesmen
live in your comfortable world of dependable paychecks
but dont bitch and moan because you dont make the big bucks like us salespeople
it is only because you either dont have the ABILITY or you dont have the COURAGE to try
take it deep pica
if it was so easy, there wouldnt be such a high washout rate
if it was so easy, every tom dick and harry would be doing it
but it is an art, and a HIGHLY DEMANDING JOB
i am sure it looks like a joke from the outside, but if you ever had the guts to try it, you would probably wash out like the majority of others who think it is easy
you have seen TOMMY BOY too many times and think it is real world

I am sure you do work harder than any prior desk job. IT WAS A DESK JOB! Perhaps people don't have interest in sales, then ability or courage isn't part of the equation. Yes, bull******** is an art. Some people don't chase money, they would rather do what makes them happy. I am sure taking clients to "business lunches" at strip clubs and paying out kickbacks is highly demanding. I have watched 5 CEO's come and go in my business in 3 years. Each one changed things and spent millions of dollars on training. Long story short. We wound up doing things the original way and suffered raise freezes and benefit reductions because these idiots had no clue what we did (they came up through sales) or what the best way to perform our job was. Each new CEO had to change things so he would look "innovative" and yet set the company back. You can claim that management doesn't use the "good ol' boy" network and rules. But my eyes and experience know better. You see, I don't listen to the words people say, I listen to what their actions say.

It is DEMAND that gets products on the shelves.
it is the sales pitch, whether in person or in an ad or commercial that causes demand

Dubya had thousands of doors opened for him, not just one. It is hard to lose "old money". Truly you must be an ignoramus to lose it. Poor people don't get the loans that the wealthy do. I am sure you are aware, people don't make money with their own money. They get investors to do so.
the last time I looked, MITs annual tuition was about $28k
however the average financial aid package came out to about $25k
so for the cost of attending a community college, one can go to MIT if you have the good grades

does money open more doors, of course
but if bush didnt have the brains to succeed, he would have failed. Lets stick with the College theme
so his name got him some notice when he applied.
lets just assume he gets accepted for no other reason than he is a Bush
in order to graduate he would have had to of had every teacher he had, in every class cooperate with this scheme to shuffle him through
sounds a little too unrealistic to be true
I am sure you do work harder than any prior desk job. IT WAS A DESK JOB! Perhaps people don't have interest in sales, then ability or courage isn't part of the equation. Yes, bull******** is an art. Some people don't chase money, they would rather do what makes them happy.

i get to do both. I love my job and I make great cash at it
which enables me to do whatever i want in my off time
and i agree that many if not most people do not try to suceed in their career
they are happy getting a paycheck and benefits.
but these are usually the same people crying out how the successful people make too much money 'for what they do'

I am sure taking clients to "business lunches" at strip clubs and paying out kickbacks is highly demanding.
amusing
however whores at strip club do nothing for me
and i am actually an ethical person and have no part in kickbacks, given or received
I have watched 5 CEO's come and go in my business in 3 years. Each one changed things and spent millions of dollars on training. Long story short. We wound up doing things the original way and suffered raise freezes and benefit reductions because these idiots had no clue what we did (they came up through sales) or what the best way to perform our job was. Each new CEO had to change things so he would look "innovative" and yet set the company back. You can claim that management doesn't use the "good ol' boy" network and rules. But my eyes and experience know better. You see, I don't listen to the words people say, I listen to what their actions say.
wow
that sure is a large sample of data you are drawing your conclusions from
i was once walking down a street in NYC and i saw 10 black Crackheads.
so i guess most blacks are crackheads by your logic
I worked on Wall St
the overwhelming majority of CEOs and high execs are very respectable, dignified, and honest

libertarian_knight said:
First, it seems you are trying to sell us on sales.

Most (now mind you: not all) most sales nowadays is selling people things they don't really want, and certaily don't need.

I mean, you understand there are TV commericals on TV right? Car sellers market commericals and deals, to... people... with... cars.

The US market is almost completely saturated in most areas as it is. All that remains is to sell the little bit of growth that occured, and some new people who are buyers, otherwise, it's mostly sell to people who alreayd have the thing you are selling anyway, or at least a functional varient of it.

With of course, the exceptions in part including new technologies and capital acquisition for expansion.

If you're selling cement trucks, industrial machines or large contract goods or services, good for ya.. If you're selling cars to people with cars, well no wonder it's hard....DUH

I started selling tupperware and ginsu knives
I sold equities on Wall ST
and now i sell Real Estate in Florida
I sell investors investment property
i sell young families their first home

I have yet to meet a salesman who closed his deals using the barrel of a gun
if somebody buys something they 'dont need' that is hardly the salesmans fault

DeeJayH said:

Being a legacy got W into Andover prep,Yale and the Harvard Business School. You can pretty much write your own ticket with credentials like that.

hipsterdufus said:
Being a legacy got W into Andover prep,Yale and the Harvard Business School. You can pretty much write your own ticket with credentials like that.

so long as you can pass the classes and graduate

DeeJayH said:
so long as you can pass the classes and graduate
With better grades than your future opponent...;)

The always partisan, always liberal labor unions just started running another series of outrageously false attack ads against Walmart. They use the same misleading tactics they used in the 2004 election.

-They point out that Walmart has 60,000 workers without insurance. What they don't point out is that that fraction of their workforce works part time as elderly greeters and teenagers.

-They claim there are thousands of child labor law violations at Walmart. What they left out was that Walmart's number of violations is normal for companies their size and that many of these "violations" are petty things like minors clocking back in from break 5 minutes before their mandatory break time is up.

-In their 2004 smear campaign they were even more hysterical and ridiculous-see the earlier corrections of their propaganda.

-And, just as in 2004, these labor unions used this attack ad to make a slew of irrelevant slams on Republicans.

Labor unions are sleazy, dishonest, arm-twisting, liberal mafias and they use tax dollars and forced contributions from unwilling "members" to fund these attack ads.

The American worker cannot afford anymore of their "protection."

aquapub said:
The always partisan, always liberal labor unions just started running another series of outrageously false attack ads against Walmart. They use the same misleading tactics they used in the 2004 election.

-They point out that Walmart has 60,000 workers without insurance. What they don't point out is that that fraction of their workforce works part time as elderly greeters and teenagers.

-They claim there are thousands of child labor law violations at Walmart. What they left out was that Walmart's number of violations is normal for companies their size and that many of these "violations" are petty things like minors clocking back in from break 5 minutes before their mandatory break time is up.

-In their 2004 smear campaign they were even more hysterical and ridiculous-see the earlier corrections of their propaganda.

-And, just as in 2004, these labor unions used this attack ad to make a slew of irrelevant slams on Republicans.

Labor unions are sleazy, dishonest, arm-twisting, liberal mafias and they use tax dollars and forced contributions from unwilling "members" to fund these attack ads.

The American worker cannot afford anymore of their "protection."

Well, if your "smear campaign" is true then I am sure you will provide a link about the libel/slander lawsuit that Walmart has filed against them.

Back
Top Bottom