• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

One dead and two injured, active shooter.

Torus34

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The headline: 1 dead and 2 injured after active shooter incident in downtown Jacksonville Beach as police search for suspects.

Guns in the news again.

Once again our present gun laws, coupled with their levels of enforcement and our social programs, failed to prevent this gunshot death.*

Death by gunshot is one of the leading causes of death among our youth. A death by gunshot occurs roughly every 3o minutes here in the United States of America.**

Guns in the news.

Again.

Regards, stay safe 'n well . . . ;n un-shot.

* Ref.: https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/17/us/j...ponding-to-active-shooter-incident/index.html

** Ref.: https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

Please cease this campaign based on individual incidents. You can't possibly catalog every gun death, so by occasionally reporting one you give the false impression they're actually quite rare in a nation of over 300 million people.

With such big numbers, you need a statistical approach.

Hi, Ug.

I've referenced a site which attempts to record every death by gunshot in the US.* It also provides a statistical breakdown into sub-categories. I'll take your request to heart and re-structure my little reminders that deaths by gunshot take about 43 American lives every day. Perhaps a daily statistical report's better, after all.

Thank you for the suggestion.

* Ref.: https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

Hi, Ug.

I've referenced a site which attempts to record every death by gunshot in the US.* It also provides a statistical breakdown into sub-categories. I'll take your request to heart and re-structure my little reminders that deaths by gunshot take about 43 American lives every day. Perhaps a daily statistical report's better, after all.

Thank you for the suggestion.

* Ref.: https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

I'm referring to a "breaking news" style thread on such a regular basis. You can't start 43 threads a day (even if the news was collated that fast) because Mods would take you out for spamming.

I'm motivated by a spirit of fairness, because I've also criticized anti-immigrationists for harping on single incidents for a week in an attempt to paint illegal immigrants as being violent criminals. Selective reporting is counter-productive, it actually makes the problem look smaller instead of bigger as intended.

The source cited here is interesting though. I'm particularly struck by the disparity between police officer deaths and suspect deaths (52 to 1,442) and how this is entirely the reverse of defensive gun use versus homicide in the community. What a difference qualified immunity makes!

I'm referring to a "breaking news" style thread on such a regular basis. You can't start 43 threads a day (even if the news was collated that fast) because Mods would take you out for spamming.

I'm motivated by a spirit of fairness, because I've also criticized anti-immigrationists for harping on single incidents for a week in an attempt to paint illegal immigrants as being violent criminals. Selective reporting is counter-productive, it actually makes the problem look smaller instead of bigger as intended.

The source cited here is interesting though. I'm particularly struck by the disparity between police officer deaths and suspect deaths (52 to 1,442) and how this is entirely the reverse of defensive gun use versus homicide in the community. What a difference qualified immunity makes!

Hi again.

Gunshot deaths, with a police officer the shooter, include some with a strange twist on law and order. Specifically, those in which a suspect, sometimes armed and sometimes not, runs away from the police and is shot dead. The original confrontation might have been for something as mundane as a routine traffic stop.

The twist, in such instances, is that running from the police becomes a crime punishable by death, with the police shooter acting as judge, jury, and executioner.

And so it goes in the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Regards, stay safe 'n well 'n un-shot.

Last edited:
Please cease this campaign based on individual incidents. You can't possibly catalog every gun death, so by occasionally reporting one you give the false impression they're actually quite rare in a nation of over 300 million people.

With such big numbers, you need a statistical approach.
The unfortunate thing here is the OP has openly acknowledged he has no solution for the problem of gun violence in our country.

But because he dislikes guns so, he's chosen perhaps the least effective "solution" he can think of - our modern culture's "awareness" meme, which amounts to little more than an adult tantrum, a puerile conniption fit spamming the site with his "I've got no solutions, but this weewy weewy bothers me so I'm going to weewy bother everyone else until somebody changes this for me" threads.

Even sadder is the fact that he doesn't even bother to learn anything about the victims - for him, they're just statistics in a generic headline search he's got bookmarked in his browser.

The headline: 1 dead and 2 injured after active shooter incident in downtown Jacksonville Beach as police search for suspects.

Guns in the news again.

Once again our present gun laws, coupled with their levels of enforcement and our social programs, failed to prevent this gunshot death.*

Death by gunshot is one of the leading causes of death among our youth. A death by gunshot occurs roughly every 3o minutes here in the United States of America.**

Guns in the news.

Again.

Regards, stay safe 'n well . . . ;n un-shot.

* Ref.: https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/17/us/j...ponding-to-active-shooter-incident/index.html

** Ref.: https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/
And so many of those gunshot deaths of our youth are committed by other youth. A corrupt and permissive culture that thinks a slap on the wrist or a sex change fixes everything.

The twist, in such instances, is that running from the police becomes a crime punishable by death, with the police shooter acting as judge, jury, and executioner.

And so it goes in the land of the free and the home of the brave.
"Free" my dairy-aire - such irony, given your anti-firearm dystopian hell.

I'm mindful of the Toronto's police chief advising his law-abiding citizens to put their vehicle's key fobs near the front door so when thieves break in to steal their cars, there's less risk of being shot by the thieves.

What'd he say? "stay safe 'n well 'n un-shot?"

Guns in the news again.

What gun law would have prevented this shooting?

Guns in the news.

Again.

Once every thirty minutes would make it less than half as common as people dying in easily-preventable car wrecks. Yet we don't see you posting a new thread every day about the lack of sufficient traffic laws. Why is that?

Last edited:
Another day where literally 99.99999% of the guns in the United States, did not shoot anybody.

What gun law would have prevented this shooting?
In one of his recent numerous threads the OP has openly admitted he hasn't a clue how to answer that question:
Hi again, EdwinWillers.

I'm sorry to say that you'll have a very long wait. As I've said time and again, this poor old country mouse knows that there are others far more intelligent and far more capable of putting ideas into action than me. I leave that job to them. All I can do is continue to keep the deaths front and center in people's minds.
It's clear his "solution" is to spam sites like this in hopes of pissing off the handful of people who read his threads, and piss them off in such a way that his campaign of awareness will somehow "solve" his problem.
Once every thirty minutes would make it less than half as common as people dying in easily-preventable car wrecks. Yet we don't see you posting a new thread every day about the lack of sufficient traffic laws. Why is that?
He obviously doesn't have the same level of concern about vehicle deaths as he does gun deaths.

No amount of facts can argue successfully against irrational emotionalism.

Back
Top Bottom