• We will be taking the forum down for maintenance at [3:30 PM CDT] - in 25 minutes. We should be down less than 1 hour.
  • This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

On police shootings of blacks

So, the police can panic, but untrained citizens, can't.
If a criminal is shooting at the police, it is not panic, the criminal will be shot no matter what his color is.

we should never hold government officials (whom we give guns/power to) to anywhere near the same standard as murderers/criminals/mafia/etc.

This is a good read for any non far left mouth droolers. If you consider yourself a moderate liberal read it and critique and let's discuss

One takeaway:
police stops and arrests indeed declined, on average, 48% in 10 major cities from June 2020 to February 2021 relative to the previous nine-month period from 2019-2020. The results? Murders rose 56% in those cities.

More importantly it gets into this false reality created by constant media focus.

Polls were taken and leftists overestimated the number of unarmed blacks shot by police by a huge margin. Many thinking it was a thousand or more a year (only 18 in 2020).

Other points, blacks being murdered by other blacks has increased due to this climate of pressuring cops to back off enforcemebt. The result being far far more excess black deaths recently than all cop killings of blacks.

The odds of a black being killed by cop is about the same as being killed by lightning strike.
Unless you are law abiding then it drops to near zero.

We live in a fake race reality right now due to political and social games.

Right on!

Violent crime (especially murders) in Los Angeles has skyrocketed.

One reason is the order to the cops to stop "profiling" certain folks.

So if cops pull them over, the cops had better have a good excuse for having done so.

No I am not.

I was pointing out the flawed thinking of bigots of any persuasion, whether they are bigoted against blacks or cops.
IMOHO, there are more people bigoted against cops than against blacks.

If a criminal is shooting at the police, it is not panic, the criminal will be shot no matter what his color is.
But if the police shoot someone, it can be a panic and an "oops"?

I dont have to go back, I quoted it proving you wrong. It most certainly wasn't the main point.

proving a connection isn't necessary. It is a reasonable assumption among thinking people that less policing increases crime. How much of the increased murder rate is a result of that is debatable.
If you want to claim that there is a connection, yes, you need to prove the connection.

If you want to claim that there is a connection, yes, you need to prove the connection.
Not while discussing with reasonable people no I don't, any more than I need to prove the connection with morning and sunrise.

The Fergeson effect is no doubt real. And it's only going to get worse for urban minorities

Could you be straigh forward with this and plainly state what you mean?

Thanks

The connection is that crime is up in cities where there are movements to defund the police. Figure it out, just once.

The connection is that crime is up in cities where there are movements to defund the police. Figure it out, just once.
But that's not a causation.

Sigh...I'm growing weary of this. Go ahead and believe what fits your dogma. You're going to no matter what I say, aren't you? Facts and logic have no sway over you.

But that's not a causation.

Sigh...I'm growing weary of this. Go ahead and believe what fits your dogma. You're going to no matter what I say, aren't you? Facts and logic have no sway over you.
No one said there was a direct cause and effect. Your post is a strawman post.

Side note: But then again, you believe, for example, that too much CO2 in the 'sphere causes imminent climate change catastrophe w/o any direct evidence of the cause and effect of too much CO2 in the 'sphere.:rolleyes:

From the OP:
" police stops and arrests indeed declined, on average, 48% in 10 major cities from June 2020 to February 2021 relative to the previous nine-month period from 2019-2020. The results? Murders rose 56% in those cities."

I'll brake this down for you so that I hope you can understand...

Claimed fact -- police stops and arrests indeed declined, on average, 48% in 10 major cities from June 2020 to February 2021 relative to the previous nine-month period from 2019-2020
Claimed fact -- Murders rose 56% in those cities

The OP tries to claim that those two premises are connected...that the drop in arrests is the cause for the increase in murders.

That is a classic post hoc ergo proctor hoc fallacy. There is no reason to believe that one caused the other.

It would be like my saying that umbrellas cause rain because whenever you see all kinds of umbrellas, it's raining.

Are you sure you want to claim that in this case, correlation is not causation?

I imagine, that if you followed that graph at all times both happened (and used some common sense) , you would find they strictly correlate.
In any event, you should be aware and be in a hurry to fix those results.

Hint: You wouldn't drop law enforcement/presence further to fix it either.

Resolved: Less police presence results in more crime being committed.

Are you sure you want to claim that in this case, correlation is not causation?

I imagine, that if you followed that graph at all times both happened (and used some common sense) , you would find they strictly correlate.
In any event, you should be aware and be in a hurry to fix those results.

Hint: You wouldn't drop law enforcement/presence further to fix it either.

Resolved: Less police presence results in more crime being committed.
Look up the correlation between the economy and crime. Has the economy taken a serious hit while the pandemic has been raging?

Correlation, not causation.

Side note: But then again, you believe, for example, that too much CO2 in the 'sphere causes imminent climate change catastrophe w/o any direct evidence of the cause and effect of too much CO2 in the 'sphere.:rolleyes:
I believe that is the working scientific theory based on the evidence. I believe that they have also done much to show not only that the trends match, but WHY, scientifically, they should match given chemical reactions of the processes involved. They have shown not only correlation, but reason to believe in causation.

Police are only good at deterrence if there is a relative certainty that those who commit crimes will be caught and punished.

So if you really want to show causation, why don't you show the rate of solved crime before and during and some opinion polls from the citizens about their belief that they will be caught for doing crime, before and during.

Look up the correlation between the economy and crime. Has the economy taken a serious hit while the pandemic has been raging?

Correlation, not causation.

I agree that poor communities tend to have more crime. This also closely correlates to the amount of police interactions and where they happen. And that equates out to less cops = less interactions.

Methinks thou doth protest too much

I agree that poor communities tend to have more crime. This also closely correlates to the amount of police interactions and where they happen. And that equates out to less cops = less interactions.

Methinks thou doth protest too much
Methinks thou doth want to support your agenda.

I believe that is the working scientific theory based on the evidence. I believe that they have also done much to show not only that the trends match, but WHY, scientifically, they should match given chemical reactions of the processes involved. They have shown not only correlation, but reason to believe in causation.

Police are only good at deterrence if there is a relative certainty that those who commit crimes will be caught and punished.

So if you really want to show causation, why don't you show the rate of solved crime before and during and some opinion polls from the citizens about their belief that they will be caught for doing crime, before and during.
That's the thing. There is no scientific evidence that shows that too much CO2 in the 'sphere causes imminent climate change catastrophe.:ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom