• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

On Georgia Senate Elections

Yes, I can agree with that. It is insane. That money could have done wonders for those suffering from the economic hardships due to COVID.

It actually does... It gets spent just like any other money....

Yes, I can agree with that. It is insane. That money could have done wonders for those suffering from the economic hardships due to COVID.

That money could have done wonders for those suffering from the economic hardships due to COVID.

Remember Libertarian, that was self inflicted

I live here

having to endure the ads on billboards, in papers, on radio, and on TV,, endless ads over weeks and weeks has gotten ridiculous

all to get a job that pays a couple hundred grand a year?

politics is about power and graft and the ability to get rich while in office

i have become very cynical as you can tell
You'd be saying the opposite if the republicans won, tell the truth.

My proposal is leave it the way it is...

The way it is sucks, but I am not sure there is a better way.

I had this pipe dream that as broadcast TV became less of a thing and more people were only watching streaming services that the money would become less important.

I was naive.

Remember Libertarian, that was self inflicted

Yes it was, the ****ed up dealing with the pandemic for the first 2 months made the rest inevitable.

It actually does... It gets spent just like any other money....

It is spent on a very small number of people/companies that does not really help out the rest.

Can we all agree that $1/2 Billion Dollars$ for the senate elections is just ridicules?

Most of it from outside of Georgia?
Yes it is ridiculous as was all the money spent on the Presidential and congressional elections last year.

Gee, and you turn a blind eye to all the secret pac money funneled to republicants over the last 20 years from scum like the Koch Brothers? Sucks when all the money and filthy-rich American influence behind your failed party isn't enough to keep your death grip on power, eh, my friend?

But... But...

I heard that DEMOCRATS out spent REPUBLICANS 2 to 1?

Oh my.....

Yes it is ridiculous as was all the money spent on the Presidential and congressional elections last year.

True

But this Georgia Senate run off is RECORD breaking

Is what it is, as sad as this sounds with control over the next Senate on the line I am surprised the spending was not more.

I live in the Atlanta area, and see the nonstop advertisements everywhere. The sheer number of PACs buying airtime was insane.

Can we all agree that $1/2 Billion Dollars$ for the senate elections is just ridicules?

Can we agree that billions of dollars syphoned through PACS and SUPERPACs are essentially bribes and politicians should be held accountable and acknowledge significant conflict of interest?

Point being....big money in politics only assures the greediest assholes get the best chance.

It is spent on a very small number of people/companies that does not really help out the rest.

Is that any different than lots of other spending?

Is that any different than lots of other spending?

Of course it is.

If an extra $1/2 Billion Dollars was spent on restaurants during this time period it would have a far larger impact or if it had been spent at local small businesses.

Of course it is.

If an extra $1/2 Billion Dollars was spent on restaurants during this time period it would have a far larger impact or if it had been spent at local small businesses.

Do you think the people being paid with this money just put it in their wallets and don't spend it on rent, groceries, restaurants, etc.? A lot of this money was from outside of Georgia and would never have been spent in Georgia without the campaigns.

Do you think the people being paid with this money just put it in their wallets and don't spend it on rent, groceries, restaurants, etc.? A lot of this money was from outside of Georgia and would never have been spent in Georgia without the campaigns.

I would say most of the money went to large advertising firms that do not even have offices in Ga and to TV networks. Do you really think this money made its way down to the normal folks?

That's what the citizens united decision gets ya

I would say most of the money went to large advertising firms that do not even have offices in Ga and to TV networks. Do you really think this money made its way down to the normal folks?

All the advertising was spent on local advertising in Georgia, not the networks. Here is another example of how it was spent locally that I thought this was pretty creative:

There was no advertising on NBC or ABC or CBS or Fox or CNN or FoxNews?

That is pretty shocking to me

It would have been spent on LOCAL affiliates... Why would someone advertise in Nebraska for a Georgia senate race?

It would have been spent on LOCAL affiliates... Why would someone advertise in Nebraska for a Georgia senate race?

Who owns the local affiliates? Do you think they are all owned "locally"?

An article on the subject....

Advertising Tobe Berkovitz, an associate professor of advertising at Boston University, says the big winners from campaign spending are radio and television stations. However, Berkovitz says most of the money cushions corporate coffers, impacting the bottom lines of big media conglomerates, rather than trickling down to boost local economies.

If anything, election years can prove tough for local businesses looking to advertise. With a surplus of campaign ads, networks don’t rely on local businesses for advertising dollars. When networks raise their prices, it could make it more difficult for small enterprises to purchase airtime. Try searching filings from local stations through Federal Communications Commission databases to explore the impact of election-year spending on television networks in your metro area.

Back
Top Bottom