• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Oh Flori-duh!

Just curious, but what 'challenge(s)' did Cuomo face which forced him to issue the EO forcing COVID infected elderly into elderly care facilities that were ill-equipped to properly care for them, and properly isolate them from infecting non-infected elderly, while COVID field hospitals went essentially unused, or at least severely underutilized?
As was described in a post above, NYC's intrinsic nature makes it highly susceptible to Covid spread like essentially no other place in the States. It's in a class by itself.

But I have no idea how you are tying that to Cuomo's disastrous decision concerning the elderly, because the two are not related besides adding additional stress & chaos to Cuomo's decision making process.

I hear ya but what happens when we hit that threshold of less than 5%? When we open up the virus is still here and cases will likely increase again. Are we forever to be wearing masks, see half-filled seating in restaurants to accommodate social distancing?

Exactly. Herd immunity is what must, and will take place. The timeframe is what has become the political football. As I’ve stated previously, the election will have a profound effect on that front.
Agreed! Though since it will entail a large number of vaccinated, it might not technically be called "herd immunity". I might do some research in that!

And any vaccine will probably get you there.
Hopefully. But good luck getting the entire populous onboard!

(BTW - Dr. Fauci said he'd be good releasing a 50% effective vaccinne)

I stand by my argument and for real reality.
I stand by my governor. He's done a great job managing this crisis.

BTW I know for a fact that many of the covid deaths are not from covid. A friends father was covid positive but doing fine. He was killed in a car wreck. His death was listed as from covid. I have heard similar on the news.

BTW I know for a fact that many of the covid deaths are not from covid. A friends father was covid positive but doing fine. He was killed in a car wreck. His death was listed as from covid. I have heard similar on the news.

Look at you repeating debunked talking points.

(BTW - Dr. Fauci said he'd be good releasing a 50% effective vaccinne)

50% isn't bad. It means that your risk of getting it is reduced by 50%.

On top of which what many don't realize is that typically what happens is that the trajectory of the course of your disease is such that you're essentially starting the battle second base.

Flu vaccination has been shown in several studies to reduce severity of illness in people who get vaccinated but still get sick.

A 2017 study showed that flu vaccination reduced deaths, intensive care unit (ICU) admissions, ICU length of stay, and overall duration of hospitalization among hospitalized flu patients.

A 2018 study showed that among adults hospitalized with flu, vaccinated patients were 59 percent less likely to be admitted to the ICU than those who had not been vaccinated. Among adults in the ICU with flu, vaccinated patients on average spent 4 fewer days in the hospital than those who were not vaccinated.

---------------

Yes, that's flu, but hopefully the people vaccinated who still get covid (and that WILL happen), will suffer far less from it.

50% isn't bad. It means that your risk of getting it is reduced by 50%.

On top of which what many don't realize is that typically what happens is that the trajectory of the course of your disease is such that you're essentially starting the battle second base.

Flu vaccination has been shown in several studies to reduce severity of illness in people who get vaccinated but still get sick.

A 2017 study showed that flu vaccination reduced deaths, intensive care unit (ICU) admissions, ICU length of stay, and overall duration of hospitalization among hospitalized flu patients.

A 2018 study showed that among adults hospitalized with flu, vaccinated patients were 59 percent less likely to be admitted to the ICU than those who had not been vaccinated. Among adults in the ICU with flu, vaccinated patients on average spent 4 fewer days in the hospital than those who were not vaccinated.

---------------

Yes, that's flu, but hopefully the people vaccinated who still get covid (and that WILL happen), will suffer far less from it.
Agreed, 50% isn't that bad for what we've got to do, considering where we're starting from. We need to remember Fauci is thinking in societal terms, not individual terms. You or I may not be thrilled with a 50-50 chance of individually being immune, but Fauci would be thrilled to see half the country immune!

And the important thing, is even if we don't personally become immune, half the country being immune greatly diminishes the virus' presence and rate of infection, making us less likely to contact it - immune or not!

i continue to stand by my argument. however, i'm sorry to hear about anyone dying in a car wreck.

then why don't you! Biden has already said he will raise taxes, get rid of social security, medicare, guns and support planned parenthood an abortion factory! defund police, military, support BLM, Biden needs to come out of his basement and tell the truth! Trump has done more for this country n 47 months than Biden in 47 years!

Yeah, that's an insane post. When you feel calmer, you'll understand that I am telling you the truth.

But you will never feel calmer, so never mind.

I hear ya but what happens when we hit that threshold of less than 5%? When we open up the virus is still here and cases will likely increase again. Are we forever to be wearing masks, see half-filled seating in restaurants to accommodate social distancing?

Exactly. Herd immunity is what must, and will take place. The timeframe is what has become the political football. As I’ve stated previously, the election will have a profound effect on that front.

Yes, the virus is still present although the threshold of 5% is achieved. Masks and social distancing will be necessary until enough people are vaccinated. If people adhered to masks and social distancing, then a resumption of a more normal economic life is possible.

It is unknown whether “herd immunity” is possible for Covid-19. There’s been documented reinfection, although very small, depletion of antibodies in a matter of months, and no concrete evidence herd immunity is possible. So, you are seeking to attain a goal that may not exist and may not be unattainable.

“Another question is what it would take to achieve 50% population immunity, given that we currently do not know how long naturally acquired immunity to SARS-CoV-2 lasts (immunity to seasonal coronaviruses is usually relatively short lived), particularly among those who had mild forms of disease, and whether it might take several rounds of re-infection before robust immunity is attained. Re-infection has only been conclusively documented in a very limited number of cases so far and it is unclear whether this is a rare phenomenon or may prove to become a common occurrence. Likewise, how a previous infection would affect the course of disease in a re-infection, and whether some level of pre-existing immunity would affect viral shedding and transmissibility, is unknown.”

“For COVID-19, which has an estimated infection fatality ratio of 0.3–1.3%1,5, the cost of reaching herd immunity through natural infection would be very high, especially in the absence of improved patient management and without optimal shielding of individuals at risk of severe complications. Assuming an optimistic herd immunity threshold of 50%, for countries such as France and the USA, this would translate into 100,000–450,000 and 500,000–2,100,000 deaths, respectively.” https://www.nature.com/articles/s41577-020-00451-5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As was described in a post above, NYC's intrinsic nature makes it highly susceptible to Covid spread like essentially no other place in the States. It's in a class by itself.

But I have no idea how you are tying that to Cuomo's disastrous decision concerning the elderly, because the two are not related besides adding additional stress & chaos to Cuomo's decision making process.

Why force COVID infected elderly into places where they'd infect others and couldn't be properly cared for?

Next time bring facts. Your BS stinks.

That’s your answer? Ignore the facts and data I did reference? That’s the BS. Your continued ignorance of the facts and data is the BS. Comparing two states which aren’t comparable. That’s BS. Ignoring the data and facts of Florida, that’s the BS. Making no intelligent argument of how over 14,000 dead and over 600,000 positive cases is doing well, that’s the BS.

Looking over your posts, it is conspicuously devoid of any supporting facts, data, or reasoned argument as to how Florida has done well, and typically when people make those types of ponderous arguments, the best they have is to allege BS by the other side. Your claim of BS is as vacuous as your argument at the moment.

Don't ask me. Follow the numbers, which say that Florida did well.

That’s your answer. 14,000 dead and over 600,000 infections “say Florida did well”? How exactly are those staggering numbers evidence “Florida did well”? Especially when compared to countries, entire countries, who have better numbers than the state of Florida, such as South Korea, Ice Land, NZ, Taiwan, Canada, and others.

Those are entire countries with lower numbers than Florida. The numbers from those countries is what “did well” looks like. Florida’s numbers pale in comparison to the numbers collectively from those countries and show Florida did not do “well.”

But go ahead, in the information available, argue who Florida’s over 14,000 dead and over 600,000 positive cases is “Florida did well.” You haven’t persuasively argued the numbers for that conclusion yet, let’s read you do it.

Was there a point here.

Have a difficulty understanding?

South Korea and Taiwan treated the virus as a biological attack. Even Florida did not go to that extreme. Japan was more successful in following the same science.

First, other nations have shown what a successful approach to handling COVID looks like, as their numbers are much lower than Florida’s. The numbers are the evidence, the hard data, of how well a nation or state has addressed the pandemic. A simple comparison of that hard data illustrates Florida, with its much higher numbers, has not done well at all.

Second, it is mystifying you reference Japan as following “the same science” as Florida, because Japan’s numbers much are better. Japan has 81,690 positives, and 1,545 deaths, compared to Florida’s over 14,000 dead and over 600,000 positive cases. But both of them followed “the same science”? That isn’t reflective of both “following the same science.” Those numbers are Japan “following the” science while Florida didn’t “follow the same science.”

Third, different methodologies may be successful to achieving a low number of positive cases and low number of deaths. The fact remains the method used by South Korea and Taiwan was a success, as the numbers show, and whatever methodology Florida used wasn’t succsssful as reflected by their own numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be concerned if my grandparents lived there. Even worse, I don’t know what I would if my grandparents live in Florida and believed Trump and DeSantis.

Agree, but I would be concerned for grandparents no matter where they are living.

Three weeks.

With all the seniors down there, this is unconscionable.

Perhaps it's the seniors who are most sick of the lock downs?

yeah, we see them flocking to the bars and beaches.... brilliant

Last edited:
Florida is not a hot spot. There are no hot spots nationally. We are long past the point where hospitals can be overwhelmed, so we should be treating this like, say, N1H1.

Compared to New York, which you mentioned, Florida is now much hotter. New York overall is roughly 3 per 100,000, Florida is in the 40s and 50s per 100,000 in the states hotspots. Hospitalizations are no longer declining in Florida.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/healt...cases-tick-up-in-september-stalling-progress/

That’s your answer? Ignore the facts and data I did reference? That’s the BS. Your continued ignorance of the facts and data is the BS. Comparing two states which aren’t comparable. That’s BS. Ignoring the data and facts of Florida, that’s the BS. Making no intelligent argument of how over 14,000 dead and over 600,000 positive cases is doing well, that’s the BS. Looking over your posts, it is conspicuously devoid of any supporting facts, data, or reasoned argument as to how Florida has done well, and typically when people make those types of ponderous arguments, the best they have is to allege BS by the other side. Your claim of BS is as vacuous as your argument at the moment. That’s your answer. 14,000 dead and over 600,000 infections “say Florida did well”? How exactly are those staggering numbers evidence “Florida did well”? Especially when compared to countries, entire countries, who have better numbers than the state of Florida, such as South Korea, Ice Land, NZ, Taiwan, Canada, and others. Those are entire countries with lower numbers than Florida. The numbers from those countries is what “did well” looks like. Florida’s numbers pale in comparison to the numbers collectively from those countries and show Florida did not do “well.” But go ahead, in the information available, argue who Florida’s over 14,000 dead and over 600,000 positive cases is “Florida did well.” You haven’t persuasively argued the numbers for that conclusion yet, let’s read you do it. Have a difficulty understanding? First, other nations have shown what a successful approach to handling COVID looks like, as their numbers are much lower than Florida’s. The numbers are the evidence, the hard data, of how well a nation or state has addressed the pandemic. A simple comparison of that hard data illustrates Florida, with its much higher numbers, has not done well at all. Second, it is mystifying you reference Japan as following “the same science” as Florida, because Japan’s numbers much are better. Japan has 81,690 positives, and 1,545 deaths, compared to Florida’s over 14,000 dead and over 600,000 positive cases. But both of them followed “the same science”? That isn’t reflective of both “following the same science.” Those numbers are Japan “following the” science while Florida didn’t “follow the same science.” Third, different methodologies may be successful to achieving a low number of positive cases and low number of deaths. The fact remains the method used by South Korea and Taiwan was a success, as the numbers show, and whatever methodology Florida used wasn’t succsssful as reflected by their own numbers.
Interesting fact free rant, but every bit of that was straight off a fake news site. Do you ever think for yourself?

Compared to New York, which you mentioned, Florida is now much hotter. New York overall is roughly 3 per 100,000, Florida is in the 40s and 50s per 100,000 in the states hotspots. Hospitalizations are no longer declining in Florida. https://www.tampabay.com/news/healt...cases-tick-up-in-september-stalling-progress/
From your own cite, there is a "tick up" as the state reopens. You literally cannot get past the headline before it refutes you.

It's good to get out of your shell, but you need to read things you post.

Don't hold your breath. Most of these people still think trickle down economics works and the Earth is only 6000 years old.

If this doesn't wake them up, nothing will.

From your own cite, there is a "tick up" as the state reopens. You literally cannot get past the headline before it refutes you.
It's good to get out of your shell, but you need to read things you post.

Nope.
You're the one who said compared to New York, so that's what it is. No longer declining is not a good thing since now they (Florida) are headed into flu season with further loosened restrictions.

There's actually a lot of truth to that. My wife works at a senior facility (not in Fla) that has instituted and still maintains the harshest of protocols since March. People have been moving out because they are sick and tired of it. Most realize this is the twilight of their life and they can't even see their families. So they are moving out to more friendly facilities or in with family. The facility is now less than half occupied.

Back
Top Bottom