• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Off Topic Poll - Place Your Bets, Where Will Hurricane Ian Make Landfall?

Where Will Hurricane Ian Make Landfall?

• Miami area

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Naples Area

• Fort Myers Area

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Sarasota Area

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Bradenton Area

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Tampa - St. Pete

• Clearwater - Hudson - Tarpon Springs - area

• Citrus Springs - Cedar Key area

• North of all that.

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MrNiceGuy

Symbiotic Pnemonic
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
My bet right now is Bradenton Area - by Ana Maria Island - not as far south as Sarasota, but not all the way to Tampa.

What say, y'all?

Tampa or Bradenton, right now I think Tampa. Potential of some very serious damage. Selfishly I hope it weakens significantly as it reaches our place just west of Orlando

Between Ft Myers and Brandenton - I'm guessing right around Siesta Key area is my guess.

Between Ft Myers and Brandenton - I'm guessing right around Siesta Key area is my guess.
I think that's a good guess. It seems to be veering east with that huge wind sheer area in the gulf pushing it a bit. That's bad for Ft. Myers and Bradenton, but good for the huge population center in Tampa/St. Pete. I am thinking that we will see a shift east again. That's selfish for me too, because I was right in the line of fire yesterday..... but even so, being 30-40 miles inland usually means the winds are significantly lower and we have homes rated for 150 mph winds since they were built in the last 3-5 years.

The catastrophic damage is not from wind, as they say. I'm sure you know already - but some here don't - it's the flooding. Obviously, a CAT 3-5 hitting a beach town is going rip some stuff apart too, but the real damage in Tampa/St Pete would come from flooding.

Tampa or Bradenton, right now I think Tampa. Potential of some very serious damage. Selfishly I hope it weakens significantly as it reaches our place just west of Orlando
I'm an hour northwest of orlando, not far from 'the villages'.

My bet right now is Bradenton Area - by Ana Maria Island - not as far south as Sarasota, but not all the way to Tampa.

What say, y'all?
Right into tampa bay straight to raymond james stadium.

I'm an hour northwest of orlando, not far from 'the villages'.
I'm southwest just off Hwy 27......not far from Mickey! It's our winter home so not there right now.

Oh, if you're just west of orlando, you probably wouldn't even lose power. That's 100+ miles inland. As it hits the west coast of florida, spinning counterclockwise, all that land and elevation slows the wind down. Very very very unlikely your location has significant damage. If it did, then very town from Bradenton/Sarasota through Lakeland and all the way to Orlando would be getting it much much worse than you, and it would look like a nuclear bomb went off.

Ian's already made landfall in Cuba. Where will it hit the U.S.?

20 miles north of Tampa.

Oh, if you're just west of orlando, you probably wouldn't even lose power. That's 100+ miles inland. As it hits the west coast of florida, spinning counterclockwise, all that land and elevation slows the wind down. Very very very unlikely your location has significant damage. If it did, then very town from Bradenton/Sarasota through Lakeland and all the way to Orlando would be getting it much much worse than you, and it would look like a nuclear bomb went off.
Landfall will slow it but there's not a whole lot of elevation.

I think that's a good guess. It seems to be veering east with that huge wind sheer area in the gulf pushing it a bit. That's bad for Ft. Myers and Bradenton, but good for the huge population center in Tampa/St. Pete. I am thinking that we will see a shift east again. That's selfish for me too, because I was right in the line of fire yesterday..... but even so, being 30-40 miles inland usually means the winds are significantly lower and we have homes rated for 150 mph winds since they were built in the last 3-5 years.

The catastrophic damage is not from wind, as they say. I'm sure you know already - but some here don't - it's the flooding. Obviously, a CAT 3-5 hitting a beach town is going rip some stuff apart too, but the real damage in Tampa/St Pete would come from flooding.
Yeah, I hope those that might now find themselves in the wrong quadrant/closer to the wrong qauadrant will reconsider evacuating if they had previously decided not to because they expected a more northern landfall. Are they shifting the track at all on weather broadcasts there yet?

I'm one block off too in the Four Corners area! We drive right by your door on our way down each year!

What say, y'all?
Classy . . .
also, how is this a political poll?

Bil says Cape coral

Classy . . .
also, how is this a political poll?
It's not - if it violates some rule I'm unaware of, then I sincerely apologize to the forum. It's just an off topic discussion, and I figured it might be of interest to some people to talk about it, since it's pretty much the only thing on the news around here now.

Classy? What's wrong with talking about the track of a hurricane?

I've only looked at the projection a couple times. Presuming it enters the Gulf of Mexico, the concern would be how long it spends there. The longer the storm is over the warm water of the Gulf, the worse it becomes. If it pauses over warm water, get out of the way.

Bil says Cape coral
Yep - it shifted toward cape coral and Port charlotte area, it seems. I feel for those folks - batten down the hatches, for sure.... but, that is lucky for the larger population center in Tampa/St.Pete. Hopefull, it will not be too rough on the coastal towns. A few years back, Port Charlotte got flattened by a hurricane which turned east unexpectedly and strengthened. Was that Hurricane Charlie? Can't remember.

Yeah, I hope those that might now find themselves in the wrong quadrant/closer to the wrong qauadrant will reconsider evacuating if they had previously decided not to because they expected a more northern landfall. Are they shifting the track at all on weather broadcasts there yet?
I think so - I follow it on an app, and I think the Governor announced it was tracking south of Bradenton - Venice or Cape Coral area, I think. People close to the water should evacuate, but they really don't recommend people evacuate when they are 20 miles inland - they prefer to keep the roads clear.

I think so - I follow it on an app, and I think the Governor announced it was tracking south of Bradenton - Venice or Cape Coral area, I think. People close to the water should evacuate, but they really don't recommend people evacuate when they are 20 miles inland - they prefer to keep the roads clear.
Yeah, get away from the surge. Other than that, stay put.

Back
Top Bottom