• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ocasio-Cortez floats 70 percent tax on the super wealthy to fund Green New Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raising taxes on the ultrarich, who have a disproportionate amount of America's wealth?

Steering us towards a green economy?

Tell me without using histrionics exactly why this isn't a good idea.

The tax is fine. Encouraged actually.

It's what it's being spent on that is ridiculous.

There are so many better things to fund than the nonsense she wants to waste this money on.

Didn't someone else try this "tax the rich" thing in the last couple years? Oh...yeah...the French with their 75% tax on rich people. As I recall, that didn't work out so well and the French dumped the law in the trash.

Maybe Bimbo-Dancer should get an education with a historical focus before she spouts off with stupid ideas.

Huh. How is she a bimbo?

Why do powerful women who are far more successful than you are so frightening to you?

And do you know who else supported tax rates that high? Dwight Eisenhower. Was he a bimbo, too?

The tax is fine. Encouraged actually.

It's what it's being spent on that is ridiculous.

There are so many better things to fund than the nonsense she wants to waste this money on.

So a green economy is "nonsense." Got it.

Tell me, what should we waste money on? The prison-industrial complex? Multi-million-dollar fighter jets that will never make it into battle? Even more tax cuts for people who do not deserve them?

What's pitiful is that you somehow translated this into "buying people teslas."

I mean that's just ****in ​dumb.

This is a very strange post. What do Teslas and Priuses have to do with anything?

The money is for the "Green New Deal" to eliminate fossil fuels.

The money is for the "Green New Deal" to eliminate fossil fuels.

Yes, I know what the Green New Deal is. Maybe I should have been more clear. What does this stupid comment have to do with anything:

use it to buy Teslas and Priuses for her yuppie peers

Does the OP believe she is proposing this so she can buy other people (yuppie peers) new cars?

She seems to have trouble with numbers. Remember this?

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's $21 trillion mistake - The Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/.../alexandria-ocasio-cortezs-trillion-mistake/

Claim: $21T in Pentagon accounting errors. Medicare for All costs ~$32T. That means 66% of Medicare for All could have been funded already by the Pentagon."
Claimed by: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Fact check by Washington Post: Four Pinocchios

She's staking out her territory as the Sarah Palin of the left. By the end of 2019 she'll be a punchline.

^
Defends any Trump action, no matter how vile; acts like someone dancing in college is sinful.

Try to be less predictable.

I've already expressed, in another thread, that she is a better dancer than politician. Every time she opens her mouth she proves that. Hence, the "Bimbo" part.

Yes, I know what the Green New Deal is. Maybe I should have been more clear. What does this stupid comment have to do with anything:

use it to buy Teslas and Priuses for her yuppie peers

Does the OP believe she is proposing this so she can buy other people (yuppie peers) new cars?

Presumably it is a reference to subsidies for purchase of non-fossil-fuel-powered automobiles. Pretty easy to follow, actually.

Presumably it is a reference to subsidies for purchase of non-fossil-fuel-powered automobiles. Pretty easy to follow, actually.

You think she is going to buy her "yuppie peers" cars? Now that's funny.

When the Republicans proposed farm subsidies, did you assume they did it so they can buy their country club peers tomatoes?

Didn't someone else try this "tax the rich" thing in the last couple years? Oh...yeah...the French with their 75% tax on rich people. As I recall, that didn't work out so well and the French dumped the law in the trash.

Maybe
Bimbo-Dancer should get an education with a historical focus before she spouts off with stupid ideas.

^
Defends any Trump action, no matter how vile; acts like someone dancing in college is sinful.

Try to be less predictable.

I've already expressed, in another thread, that she is a better dancer than politician. Every time she opens her mouth she proves that. Hence, the "Bimbo" part.

Ah, the immeasurable depth of your views. One stands in awe....

:roll:

You think she is going to buy her "yuppie peers" cars? Now that's funny.

Not my comment. With allowances for rhetorical excess, it's OK. Fact is Prius and Tesla sales have been boosted by subsidies, so the idea that the Green New Deal would include those is not far fetched.

Huh. How is she a bimbo?

Why do powerful women who are far more successful than you are so frightening to you?

And do you know who else supported tax rates that high? Dwight Eisenhower. Was he a bimbo, too?

1. She's not "powerful". Nancy is powerful. AOC isn't.

2. She doesn't frighten me. She makes me laugh.

3. Eisenhower lived in a very different age. His high taxes would cripple our country today.

AOC is a bimbo because she meets the definition of the word.

bimbo [bim-boh]

noun, plural bim·bos, bim·boes. Slang.

a foolish, stupid, or inept person.

a man or fellow, often a disreputable or contemptible one.

an attractive but stupid young woman, especially one with loose morals.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/bimbo

Not my comment. With allowances for rhetorical excess, it's OK. Fact is Prius and Tesla sales have been boosted by subsidies, so the idea that the Green New Deal would include those is not far fetched.

His comment was that she proposed them to buy Tesla and Priuses for her yuppie peers. So again, when the Republicans proposed farm subsidies, it was to buy tomatoes and corn for their country club friends?

1. She's not "powerful". Nancy is powerful. AOC isn't.

Of course she is. She's in the US HOR. That's powerful. I can see that it really frustrates you.
2. She doesn't frighten me. She makes me laugh.

IOW, she and other powerful women scare you to death.
3. Eisenhower lived in a very different age. His high taxes would cripple our country today.

A bull**** claim for which there is exactly no credible evidence. Yet again you simply have no idea what you're talking about.
AOC is a bimbo because she meets the definition of the word.

She doesn't fit that definition, nor can you demonstrate that she does. She's already accomplished more in life than you ever will.

Thanks for eating your words in public. Hankie? Napkin?

His comment was that she proposed them to buy Tesla and Priuses for her yuppie peers. So again, when the Republicans proposed farm subsidies, it was to buy tomatoes and corn for their country club friends?

Farm subsidies establish price floors to safeguard production. You're comparing apples & oranges.

Of course she is. She's in the US HOR. That's powerful. I can see that it really frustrates you.

IOW, she and other powerful women scare you to death.

A bull**** claim for which there is exactly no credible evidence. Yet again you simply have no idea what you're talking about.

She doesn't fit that definition, nor can you demonstrate that she does. She's already accomplished more in life than you ever will.

Thanks for eating your words in public. Hankie? Napkin?

I heard she made a great cup of coffee when she was a barista, so yeah...she's accomplished that. I'm still stuck on drip coffee.

Farm subsidies establish price floors to safeguard production. You're comparing apples & oranges.

I'm talking about the same thing. A politician proposing subsidies. How often do they do it so their "peers" can buy a product. This is not apples and oranges.

I would like evidence that she did this so she can buy her "yuppie peers" Teslas and Priuses. Pretty simple. That was the OP's contention.

Ocasio-Cortez floats 70 percent tax on the super wealthy to fund Green New Deal

Underfunded Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid; homeless people starving in droves on the streets of this country's wealthiest cities; and a million other real problems and this useless sack of bones wants to take what would amount to one of the most expansive and progressive wealth taxes ever and use it to buy Teslas and Priuses for her yuppie peers.

Where's the liberalism, here? Where is the genuine caring about the human condition and how it can be improved?

Instead, with her focus on money-pit pet projects and buzzwording Ocasio-Cortez looks more and more like just another swamp creature.

Pitiful...

It amazes me how a frosh congressman, one of 235 Democrats, threatens you so..... There are plenty of wack-a-doos on the other side of the aisle. As long as they are in check by party leadership, who cares? Junior politicians can do little but make noise. Bear in mind, however, that often good policy starts with ideas on the fringe, and are culled and cultivated by those that understand politics.

Speaking of wack-a-doos on the other side of the aisle, your friends put one in the White House. Now that is something do worry about. It seems 55% of Americans share that worry.

BTW... I fail to see anything "swampy" about her. The "swamp" are people that do nothing and just exist in Washington for themselves. She just seems enthusiastic and naive.

Last edited:
I'm talking about the same thing. A politician proposing subsidies. How often do they do it so their "peers" can buy a product. This is not apples and oranges.

I would like evidence that she did this so she can buy her "yuppie peers" Teslas and Priuses. Pretty simple. That was the OP's contention.

As I said, rhetorical excess. It's already been shown she's an airhead when it comes to finance, so you never know.

The newbie member really has the Republicans rattled! Anyone would think she was President!

So a green economy is "nonsense."

Yes.

Tell me, what should we waste money on? The prison-industrial complex? Multi-million-dollar fighter jets that will never make it into battle? Even more tax cuts for people who do not deserve them?

I mentioned several things. Are those not worthy expenditures in your opinion?

Maybe Bimbo-Dancer should get an education with a historical focus before she spouts off with stupid ideas.

But I love it every time she opens her mouth! :lol:

The "swamp" are people that do nothing and just exist in Washington for themselves. She just seems enthusiastic and naive.

She's looking to spend absurd sums of money on sheer poppycock while elderly folks starve and the homeless freeze to death (among the insane number of real problems such money could otherwise address) just to feel better about herself over maintaining an unrealistic preference for some non-existent environmental purity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom