• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ocasio-Cortez floats 70 percent tax on the super wealthy to fund Green New Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
She's looking to spend absurd sums of money on sheer poppycock while elderly folks starve and the homeless freeze to death (among the insane number of real problems such money could otherwise address) just to feel better about herself over maintaining an unrealistic preference for some non-existent environmental purity.

Smart people keep asking "why not", until they learn "why not".

She is harmless. Don't lose sleep over her.

AOC (nice that the Cons have elevated her to such status) is not the threat in Washington that should concern you.

By God she's brilliant!

A multi trillion dollar tax that will not even equal one tenth of one degree difference in global warming forecasts.

You liberals sure got yourself a winner there.

Yes.

I mentioned several things. Are those not worthy expenditures in your opinion?

Good, you keep investing in coal, while the rest of the world moves forward with actual job creation...

I heard she made a great cup of coffee when she was a barista, so yeah...she's accomplished that. I'm still stuck on drip coffee.

I thought I heard she'd flash you a boob if you tipped her a dollar.

By God she's brilliant!

A multi trillion dollar tax that will not even equal one tenth of one degree difference in global warming forecasts.

You liberals sure got yourself a winner there.

Does this at least mean people on a certain side are finally accepting that AGW is not some ****-tarded conspiracy of thousands and thousands of scientists to scrounge for the meager pay they get from grants - and yes the grants are big, but the actual amount of money one makes working for a university getting grants is **** for the person - and are switching to complaining about how to pay for it?

Most history shows the opposite. When taxes are raised to unreasonably high rates on the wealthy they adjust their affairs to avoid the tax. One of the classic ones was imposing a "luxury tax" on new yachts. Several years ago Washington thought they'd nail the super rich by imposing a large surcharge on the purchase of new yachts. Great theory, except people stopped buying yachts, boat builders lost business and had to lay off workers. Meanwhile the rich just puttered around on their old yachts.

Meaning all those yacht mechanics kept their jobs.

I love the fact that she keeps getting attention on this stuff. I wish we could deal with real problems and all, but if we are going to be drawn off topic, this is a good way. Might as well enjoy the show of everyone treating AOC and her crazy ideas that she worked up as a student and bartender.

It won't last long as she will either have to deal with realities or eventually just be ignored. I'm seeing 3 threads a day right now tho. Gonna enjoy it while it lasts.

Look at you job shaming her. Aside from being a woman, she's exactly what the founding fathers intended the house to be made up of.

Does this at least mean people on a certain side are finally accepting that AGW is not some ****-tarded conspiracy of thousands and thousands of scientists to scrounge for the meager pay they get from grants - and yes the grants are big, but the actual amount of money one makes working for a university getting grants is **** for the person - and are switching to complaining about how to pay for it?

Sure as long as some on your side admit how completely bats**** crazy some of the so called fixes are.

See it's not that many on my side are opposed to green energy or being good stewards to our planet, it's that you lose us with solutions that will do little to nothing to solve the problem and only hurt our economy and us. I mean how did some of you think we'd react when you wanted to tax us $500 billion a year to give away to underfunded, notoriously corrupt countries in the hope they might use it to curb carbon emissions?

Sure as long as some on your side admit how completely bats**** crazy some of the so called fixes are.

See it's not that many on my side are opposed to green energy or being good stewards to our planet, it's that you lose us with solutions that will do little to nothing to solve the problem and only hurt our economy and us. I mean how did some of you think we'd react when you wanted to tax us $500 billion a year to give away to underfunded, notoriously corrupt countries in the hope they might use it to curb carbon emissions?

bat****?

If you'd listened twenty years ago, we'd be well ahead on renewables. Europe and other countries are far ahead and in position to sell it to us, with the only counters people like Elon Musk who despite his unpredictability is actually pretty ****ing good, thank you "free market".

The longer you ignore a problem - especially if you name it hoax - the worse it gets, and thus the more expensive it gets to fix.

Bottom line: if you really think that, then at the least get behind massive investment in turning renewables into a profitable replacement. Fossils are bad. Period. We need to make this happen, even if it gets too late.

Here's my prediction: we punt it and then we cannot fix it even with expense. The results indirectly lead to strife, wars, and lots of death. But rich Americans generally get by, then say "meh". To the extent the human race has a future, it learns the wrong lesson.

1. She's not "powerful". Nancy is powerful. AOC isn't.

2. She doesn't frighten me. She makes me laugh.

3. Eisenhower lived in a very different age. His high taxes would cripple our country today.

AOC is a bimbo because she meets the definition of the word.

You'll have to forgive those of us who don't believe you have a clue as to how taxes works or what any given tax rate would do to the country today. :lol:

bat****?

If you'd listened twenty years ago, we'd be well ahead on renewables. Europe and other countries are far ahead and in position to sell it to us, with the only counters people like Elon Musk who despite his unpredictability is actually pretty ****ing good, thank you "free market".

The longer you ignore a problem - especially if you name it hoax - the worse it gets, and thus the more expensive it gets to fix.

Bottom line: if you really think that, then at the least get behind massive investment in turning renewables into a profitable replacement. Fossils are bad. Period. We need to make this happen, even if it gets too late.

Here's my prediction: we punt it and then we cannot fix it even with expense. The results indirectly lead to strife, wars, and lots of death. But rich Americans generally get by, then say "meh". To the extent the human race has a future, it learns the wrong lesson.

It's not a hoax. It's a wrong turn in science. I'm sure don't believe me, and that discussion is for another time anyway. The point here is that even on the terms the believers themselves would choose, the Paris Accords will have a negligible effect on the climate of 2100.

bat****?

Again, if you can get some on your side to tone down some of idiocy, it would be easier for some on my side to get onboard. When we hear the crazy talk, we lose any and all confidence that a viable plan will be put in place and we ignore everything else your side says.

And I agree on Elon Musk even though I hear he's a dick in real life. Especially to his employees. Easily overlooked because of his brilliance.

It's not a hoax. It's a wrong turn in science. I'm sure don't believe me, and that discussion is for another time anyway. The point here is that even on the terms the believers themselves would choose, the Paris Accords will have a negligible effect on the climate of 2100.

But it will help our liberal friends redistribute $500 billion/year from us evil rich countries to those poor backward countries Even if it does nothing for climate change, it's still a win for liberals.

sounds like a good idea, imo.

but, i'd be for extra brackets at the top.

Meaning all those yacht mechanics kept their jobs.
Except for the ones that were going be hired to take care of the new boats.

But it will help our liberal friends redistribute $500 billion/year from us evil rich countries to those poor backward countries Even if it does nothing for climate change, it's still a win for liberals.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[h=1]UK Secretary of State Michael Gove Announces Climate Cash Giveaways, Quotes WWF Report[/h][FONT=&quot]Guest essay by Eric Worrall Providing billions of pounds of cash to fund climate projects in poor countries is still a priority for the British Government, despite distracting local problems like dangerous failures in Britain’s broken healthcare system, or the urgent need to recruit more police to try to contain Britain’s wildly escalating violent crime…
[/FONT]

Ocasio-Cortez floats 70 percent tax on the super wealthy to fund Green New Deal

I dont see this going anywhere.

Except for the ones that were going be hired to take care of the new boats.

Those were new yachts. No need for mechanics to repair them right? Why do you hate yacht mechanics that fix yachts?

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[h=1]Climate Shakedown: Iran Demands Their Share of Paris Agreement Climate Cash[/h][FONT=&quot]Guest essay by Eric Worrall Iran’s deputy environment chief Karim Shafie has warned that Iran’s participation in the Paris Agreement is at risk if they don’t get their climate money. Is Iran pulling out of Paris Agreement? By Maryam Qarehgozlou May 20, 2018 Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif signed the Paris Agreement on climate change…
[/FONT]

May 20, 2018 in Climate cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom