• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obamacare exchange leaks data of 2,400 unsuspecting customers

WCH

Believer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
An employee of Minnesota’s Obamacare exchange, MNsure, sent an unencrypted file to the wrong person and left 2,400 people’s private information at the mercy of a nearby insurance agent.

One exchange staffer’s simple mistake gave insurance broker Jim Koester access to an Excel document of Social Security numbers, names, addresses and other personal data for whole a list of insurance agents. Luckily for the 2,400, Koester was cooperative — and unnerved.

“The more I thought about it, the more troubled I was,” Koester told the Minnesota Star Tribune. “What if this had fallen into the wrong hands? It’s scary. If this is happening now, how can clients of MNsure be confident their data is safe?”

Read more: Obamacare security breach leaks data of 2,400 customers | The Daily Caller

Only 20 hours of training then access to your life.

Only 20 hours of training then access to your life.

with out any background checks
Only reason this mistake was caught was because the one who had the personal information wrongfully sent to was an honest concerned citizen. how many more of these mistakes were made that wasn't caught? and this just was the first day

Last edited:
with out any background checks
Only reason this mistake was caught was because the one who had the personal information wrongfully sent to was an honest concerned citizen. how many more of these mistakes were made that wasn't caught? and this just was the first day
This is the reason Texas Gov. Perry wants policies implemented that require navigators to complete 40 hours of training in addition to their federal instruction and making them pass a test on privacy protections. He also wants them to be prohibited from selling, soliciting or negotiating health insurance, recommending plans or giving advice regarding benefits. They would have to regularly report the names of those they enroll to the Insurance Department

The Feds don't like it at all..

Texas and feds clash over health care 'navigators' » Abilene Reporter-News

An employee of Minnesota’s Obamacare exchange, MNsure, sent an unencrypted file to the wrong person and left 2,400 people’s private information at the mercy of a nearby insurance agent.

One exchange staffer’s simple mistake gave insurance broker Jim Koester access to an Excel document of Social Security numbers, names, addresses and other personal data for whole a list of insurance agents. Luckily for the 2,400, Koester was cooperative — and unnerved.

“The more I thought about it, the more troubled I was,” Koester told the Minnesota Star Tribune. “What if this had fallen into the wrong hands? It’s scary. If this is happening now, how can clients of MNsure be confident their data is safe?”

Read more: Obamacare security breach leaks data of 2,400 customers | The Daily Caller
The title of the Daily Caller's piece is wrong, it wasn't Customers, it was insurance agents.

Frankly if you're a member of ACORN or SEIU or any other union, I wouldn't trust you with my info. People need to keep in mind just who they are dealing with.

Frankly if you're a member of ACORN or SEIU or any other union, I wouldn't trust you with my info. People need to keep in mind just who they are dealing with.

why do people keep bringing up ACORN.

it is defunct, out of bussiness.

I think, to be fair, that any company or government we're obliged to give our private information to these days can and does have similar breaches of data security/control. It's the price we pay in an online, unlimited communications/technology environment we now live in. It's why I will never participate in any social media platform or site and why anyone who values their personal private integrity would never so freely and willingly pass it around.

The days of everyone's personal information being secure because it was held on paper in locked filing cabinets deep in the bureaucracy of either government or business are long gone.

That's just it, you don't know who you're dealing with and there's little you can do to find out. Even if you could find out I'm not sure what good it would do you.

Not surprised at all.....

The title of the Daily Caller's piece is wrong, it wasn't Customers, it was insurance agents.

LOL The Daily Caller got something wrong? I just always believe the opposite of what they say and haven't been wrong yet.

That's just it, you don't know who you're dealing with and there's little you can do to find out. Even if you could find out I'm not sure what good it would do you.
You know you're dealing with the FedGov. That's scary enough.

LOL The Daily Caller got something wrong? I just always believe the opposite of what they say and haven't been wrong yet.

They're suppose to give UNBIASED info and not be associated with any particular insurance agents/companies.

It was a major breech no matter how you frame it.

Because the nimrods didn't just disappear. SSDD.

Spot on. The implementation of this atrocious program will set a new record for government incompetence, and some folks are likely to be stuck with a lifetime of stolen identity.

So you don't think that can happen at a corporate level? I do the ETL work in the insurance industry and to think that a mistake like this don't happen at the corporate level is straight foolish.

I think, to be fair, that any company or government we're obliged to give our private information to these days can and does have similar breaches of data security/control. It's the price we pay in an online, unlimited communications/technology environment we now live in. It's why I will never participate in any social media platform or site and why anyone who values their personal private integrity would never so freely and willingly pass it around.

The days of everyone's personal information being secure because it was held on paper in locked filing cabinets deep in the bureaucracy of either government or business are long gone.

Remember when facebook accidentally leaked out personal information of 6 million individuals?

You are not surprised that the story was false?

The story isn't false. The personal information of 2400 people was indeed leaked by a nimrod at the Min. Health Exchange.

The story isn't false. The personal information of 2400 people was indeed leaked by a nimrod at the Min. Health Exchange.

Link please and I don't mean from the Caller.

[quote="Star Tribune]“But the gorilla in the room is that they sent me something that’s not even encrypted. It’s unsecured, on an Excel spreadsheet — which is using outdated technology to transfer that information in the first place. They’ve got to realize they have a huge problem.”[/quote]

That's is some scary stuff right there.

Back
Top Bottom