• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Obama says he's keeping his promise to take all of the troops out of Iraq.

Don't make promises you can't or don't intend to keep. It was stupid of Obama to ever put a timetable on the withdrawal of troops. IMHO, he only did it to pander for votes from the anti-war crowd.

I'm sorry Oscar. Perhaps this thing: U.S.-Iraq Status of Forces Agreement was merely a delusion of mine. But what do i know? I'm just a rabid Obamabot.

Last edited:
I'm sorry Oscar. Perhaps this thing: U.S.-Iraq Status of Forces Agreement was merely a delusion of mine. But what do i know? I'm just a rabid Obamabot.

sorry charlie, but Obama's campaign promises were made well before that agreement was reached. got any other red herrings or strawmen you'd like to toss out?

and FWIW, I was one of those US troops who was STILL in an Iraqi city AFTER the end of 2009 deadline. I routinely conducted patrols in the city of Basrah up until May 2010.

so, either way, Obama's promise was bull****.

Considering that the SOFA was signed under Bush, it seems to me that he didn't have a lot of freedom regarding whether or not to pull out.

and FWIW, I was one of those US troops who was STILL in an Iraqi city AFTER the end of 2009 deadline. I routinely conducted patrols in the city of Basrah up until May 2010.

Right, so it's Obama's fault the Brits ******d out and you ended up there?

sorry charlie, but Obama's campaign promises were made well before that agreement was reached. got any other red herrings or strawmen you'd like to toss out?

Perhaps the dates are a little off but that's not an important detail when compared to the overall meaning of it.

Is it your opinion the troops (including yourself) should have been pulled out earlier than they were because Iraq no longer needed you, or are you just trying to score political points against Obama?

Don't make promises you can't or don't intend to keep. It was stupid of Obama to ever put a timetable on the withdrawal of troops. IMHO, he only did it to pander for votes from the anti-war crowd.

Boy, that would be a nice change for ALL politicians. Won't happen, but it would be nice.

Like Catawba stated earlier, I voted for Obama knowing we wouldn't be out of Iraq quickly, and that some element would always be there. That Base wasn't going to sit empty. The real Bush sin was going in in the first place. However, Obama was always going to be more true to ending our involvement in this conflict than McCain ever would have been. So while much has been disappointing, and there are areas I disagree with Obama, that is not equal to the recklessness Bush exhibited. If Obama ever invades a country without real and honest justification, I'll denounce him just as I did Bush.

Is it your opinion the troops (including yourself) should have been pulled out earlier than they were because Iraq no longer needed you, or are you just trying to score political points against Obama?

they still need us. pulling out due to some predetermined timeline that was set to pander for votes is beyond stupid. when Obama made his "promise" he was campaining for POTUS, he didn't have a freaking clue what the tactical situation on the ground in Iraq was like.

they still need us. pulling out due to some predetermined timeline that was set to pander for votes is beyond stupid. when Obama made his "promise" he was campaining for POTUS, he didn't have a freaking clue what the tactical situation on the ground in Iraq was like.

I see, you agree with Obama's decision to leave the troops in Iraq a few months longer based on the conditions on the ground that you saw, but you wish to hold that decision against him to try to score some political points. Got it!

Good thing McCain was not elected or you would still be there.

I see, you agree with Obama's decision to leave the troops in Iraq a few months longer based on the conditions on the ground that you saw, but you wish to hold that decision against him to try to score some political points. Got it!

Good thing McCain was not elected or you would still be there.

I doubt he would complain. Soldiers focus on the mission first, leave the politics to the asses in Washington. Soldiers don't enlist to live comfortably and not go to war.

I doubt he would complain. Soldiers focus on the mission first, leave the politics to the asses in Washington. Soldiers don't enlist to live comfortably and not go to war.

Oscar has already indicated he would not complain and I have no reason to doubt his sincerity. However, if every soldier felt that way about the Iraq war, the 60,000 stop loss orders that were issued to the troops in Iraq would not have been necessary.

While I am very disappointed in Obama for not bringing the the troops from Iraq home immediately, I knew he was a moderate hawk and much more pragmatic than myself when I voted for him. However, if he sticks to the agreement to have ALL troops out by the end of 2011, we are still better than we would have been under McCain, who was fine with having troops there for a hundred years, like in South Korea.

However, if he does not have all troops out of Iraq by the end of this year, he will face a difficult race in 2012.

I'd give pretty long odds on having all of the troops out of Iraq by the end of 2011.
Nevertheless, whether Obama gets reelected mainly depends on two things he has little if any control over: The economy, and who the Repuplicans nominate.

My QUESTION is.... after watching the damn interview.... did he mis-speak on afghanistan! I appreciate on everyones opinion but that not what I made this thread for. Please re-read the original post.

I'd give pretty long odds on having all of the troops out of Iraq by the end of 2011.
Nevertheless, whether Obama gets reelected mainly depends on two things he has little if any control over: The economy, and who the Repuplicans nominate.

Good points! I think you are right that the economy and who's running against him will be the main determinants but I still think if Obama doesn't have the troops out of Iraq by the end of this year he will lose many votes from his base.

Back
Top Bottom