• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama Border Patrol chief to Trump: ‘Stay the course’ on the border wall

It's not my wall.

Call it whatever you like. Call it a wall, call it a pony, call it The Sword in the Stone. You're not getting your wall.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...r-patrol-chief-trump-stay-course-border-wall/

So nice to hear from a for country before partisan fraud.
What say you?

Haha, he can see Trump is sinking in the polls, and is encouraging him to maintain his temper tantrum.

Did you know Trump's poll numbers haven't been this low since he publicly supported the KKK and Neo Nazis?

Trump Defends White-Nationalist Protesters: 'Some Very Fine People'

He ended up walking that back, even though it did upset a lot of his base (just look at all the denials that it even happened!). Do you think the same will happen with the shutdown?

If you hit a paywall here, open it in incognito mode. It's from Jan 26, 2017.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/26/us/politics/border-patrol-mark-morgan.html

I bet Trump is sorry he asked for the Obama holdover's resignation.
That said, I don't believe as the above poster said that Morgan's opinion is worthless despite how he became the head of border security during the Obama admin.
Mr. Morgan had expressed a desire to stay at the agency in the Trump administration, a Department of Homeland Security official said.

Haha, he can see Trump is sinking in the polls, and is encouraging him to maintain his temper tantrum.

Did you know Trump's poll numbers haven't been this low since he publicly supported the KKK and Neo Nazis?

Trump Defends White-Nationalist Protesters: 'Some Very Fine People'

He ended up walking that back, even though it did upset a lot of his base (just look at all the denials that it even happened!). Do you think the same will happen with the shutdown?

How about you take your off topic spamming link and go blabber elsewhere?

Call it whatever you like. Call it a wall, call it a pony, call it The Sword in the Stone. You're not getting your wall.

Does it make you feel better to keep repeating yourself?

"I found a dood!"

Allright. One guy. I don't claim to know what the stats are on polled border people - legit on the border - and other Americans. Anyone?

At the very least, there are gonna be some pissed off land owners fighting for several years to block various things. Not only did he not ask the GOP congress for his 5 billion in the last two years (THEY CONTROLLED), this is going to take forever via eminent domain suits and the like. That's just part of it.

Arrrrrgh!

And the worst bit is, we like border security! But not stupid bull. And better than either, reducing the incentive to come in the first place.

No you don’t. If you truly liked border security we’d be rounding up DACA “kids” and deporting them
On live TV. That would definitely stop many from trying to illegally be here

Nothing inherently wrong with the wall, if part of a coherent national security plan.

Much wrong with pulling a number out of your ass and doing untold damage to the nation if legislators don't hand over that much money ... money you promised you wouldn't ask for.

Well, hold on. What's inherently wrong with it is that it won't do anything meaningful. It apparently won't even stop end-of-term mothers climbing over it and immediately giving birth on the U.S. side.

If they were being honest about it they would talk about the trillion+ it would easily cost in a decade to fully patrol this wall (including building all the infastructure and supply-chains, etc, to support the patrols) along the entire 2,000ish mile length; even then, that would address only 25% of illegals in the country. But they're not. They're just talking about it as if building a wall will settle it.

It may not be "immoral" like Pelosi for some reason said. But it sure isn't going to work.

Does it make you feel better to keep repeating yourself?

Just letting you know that no matter what kinds of threads you start, no matter who you quote supporting your wall, no matter what you call your wall, you're not getting your wall.

Just letting you know that no matter what kinds of threads you start, no matter who you quote supporting your wall, no matter what you call your wall, you're not getting your wall.

You could easily go write in a journal the above instead of wasting your time thread-clogging.

You could easily go write in a journal the above instead of wasting your time thread-clogging.

You started a thread in the mistaken belief that it was somehow an argument in support of your wall. I was correcting that mistaken belief and, by extension, saving you valuable time in your day that you could have used to re-watch The Wire.

Well, hold on. What's inherently wrong with it is that it won't do anything meaningful. It apparently won't even stop end-of-term mothers climbing over it and immediately giving birth on the U.S. side.

If they were being honest about it they would talk about the trillion+ it would easily cost in a decade to fully patrol this wall (including building all the infastructure and supply-chains, etc, to support the patrols) along the entire 2,000ish mile length; even then, that would address only 25% of illegals in the country. But they're not. They're just talking about it as if building a wall will settle it.

It may not be "immoral" like Pelosi for some reason said. But it sure isn't going to work.
I don't recall ever hearing about the proposed wall being "fully patrolled". What does that even mean? "Boots on the ground" covering every linear foot of it in regular intervals? Cameras covering every linear foot of it which are constantly monitored? I'm asking because I have not read about this being part of any plan that has been proposed.

I don't recall ever hearing about the proposed wall being "fully patrolled". What does that even mean? "Boots on the ground" covering every linear foot of it in regular intervals? Cameras covering every linear foot of it which are constantly monitored? I'm asking because I have not read about this being part of any plan that has been proposed.

:sigh:

When did I claim "any plan that has been proposed" contains patrolling the wall? I didn't.

In fact, the entire point that merely building a wall will do jack **** unless the wall were patrolled like that.

The idea that if you just build a wall and leave it there, it will stop illegals is retarded. Even partially monitored parts of the wall do not stop illegals now. It would have to be fully patrolled to accomplish its goal of actually stopping illegals, and even if it were a perfect barrier, it would only stop 25% of them. The wall, in itself, is pointless. I can't put it any more clearly.

Last edited:
:sigh:

When did I claim "any plan that has been proposed" contains patrolling the wall? I didn't.

In fact, the entire point that merely building a wall will do jack **** unless the wall were patrolled like that.

The idea that if you just build a wall and leave it there, it will stop illegals is retarded. Even partially monitored parts of the wall do not stop illegals now. It would have to be fully patrolled to accomplish its goal of actually stopping illegals, and even if it were a perfect barriers, it would only stop 25% of them. The wall, in itself, is pointless. I can't put it any more clearly.

Don't misunderstand what I am asking.

At this moment, the fight is over 5.7 billion for "a wall". You threw out a figure in the Trillions for "patrol" of this wall and then went on to claim that proponents of the wall were being dishonest for not talking about it. My question asked you to clarify exactly what this Trillion dollar "patrol" plan was because I have never heard of it.

My next question then becomes...

If this Trillions dollar patrol plan hasn't even been proposed, how can you claim that proponents of the wall are being dishonest for not talking about it?

Of course, walls are effective.

Israel and Hungary, for example, have had spectacular success in protecting their nation's security.

Nancy and Chuck, no doubt, have fences around their houses, as do millions of ordinary Americans.

A shoutout to Chief Morgan, a very brave man. No doubt the Democrats will seek to punish him when they seize the government in 2020 (or earlier if their coup against President Trump succeeds).

Israel isn't the example of success in protecting their border....it is like 20 miles long first off...second they have daily terrorist attacks.

How about you take your off topic spamming link and go blabber elsewhere?

Sorry, you're the only one babbling in this conversation. This is about the wall, and obviously Trump's lowering poll numbers may affect his decision to keep the government shut down. It is completely valid to point out that his poll numbers haven't been this low since he publicly supported the KKK and Neo Nazis. I'm sorry this triggers you, but it's a fact. So don't be afraid of discussing Trump's racist past, let's have a conversation.

Why not answer the question: Trump had to back down on publicly supporting the KKK and Neo Nazis after his poll numbers tanked. Do you think he will back down on funding for the wall if his numbers get low enough?

Last edited:

I know this wasn't directed at me, but what a bunch of nonsense. Everyone is discussing the wall, sorry you don't like that others have a different opinion than you, but so what?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...r-patrol-chief-trump-stay-course-border-wall/

So nice to hear from a for country before partisan fraud.
What say you?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/us/politics/border-patrol-wall-immigration-trump-senate-democrats.html

What Border Agents Say They Want (It’s Not a Wall)

WASHINGTON — President Trump has called for a wall along the border with Mexico to stop undocumented immigrants and drugs from entering the United States. But Border Patrol agents on the front lines say they need more technology and additional personnel to curb the illegal traffic, according to a report released on Thursday by Democrats on the Senate Homeland Security Committee.

The report was based on internal Customs and Border Protection documents from the 2017 fiscal year. It concluded that less than one half of 1 percent of the agents’ suggestions to secure the Southwest border mentioned the need for a wall.

The documents show that the Border Patrol identified what it called 902 “capability gaps,” or vulnerabilities, on the Southwest border. The word “wall” was suggested as a possible solution for just three of those gaps.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/us/politics/border-patrol-wall-immigration-trump-senate-democrats.html

WASHINGTON — President Trump has called for a wall along the border with Mexico to stop undocumented immigrants and drugs from entering the United States. But Border Patrol agents on the front lines say they need more technology and additional personnel to curb the illegal traffic, according to a report released on Thursday by Democrats on the Senate Homeland Security Committee.

The report was based on internal Customs and Border Protection documents from the 2017 fiscal year. It concluded that less than one half of 1 percent of the agents’ suggestions to secure the Southwest border mentioned the need for a wall.

The documents show that the Border Patrol identified what it called 902 “capability gaps,” or vulnerabilities, on the Southwest border. The word “wall” was suggested as a possible solution for just three of those gaps.

Oh noes!!! Facts!!!!

LOL, kidding. Great job of research, completely discrediting the premise of this thread.

Funny you didn't include this excerpt from the same story...

Customs and Border Protection officials said Border Patrol agents were asked to identify “gaps” in border security, not to propose solutions. They said that Border Patrol sector chiefs, from San Diego to the Rio Grande Valley in Texas, have voiced support for a border wall.

Days after his inauguration last year, Mr. Trump ordered construction to begin immediately on a border wall. Customs and Border Protection then created a process to help decide where a wall was most needed on the border, and for how many miles.

“The U.S. Border Patrol has been very clear that a border wall is essential to gaining operational control of the Southwest border,” said Benjamine Huffman, the chief of the Border Patrol’s strategic plan and analysis directorate. “The fact is, when it comes to border security, the border walls system works. Suggestions that the Border Patrol believes otherwise are false.”

So as a source, you provide an article titled "What Border Agents Say They Want (It’s Not a Wall)"... which directly contradicts itself.

You should really read your own sources.

So as a source, you provide an article titled "What Border Agents Say They Want (It’s Not a Wall)"... which directly contradicts itself.

I did include the first paragraph.

Oh noes!!! Facts!!!!

LOL, kidding. Great job of research, completely discrediting the premise of this thread.

Great job of research?

From the same source...

Customs and Border Protection officials said Border Patrol agents were asked to identify “gaps” in border security, not to propose solutions. They said that Border Patrol sector chiefs, from San Diego to the Rio Grande Valley in Texas, have voiced support for a border wall.

Days after his inauguration last year, Mr. Trump ordered construction to begin immediately on a border wall. Customs and Border Protection then created a process to help decide where a wall was most needed on the border, and for how many miles.

“The U.S. Border Patrol has been very clear that a border wall is essential to gaining operational control of the Southwest border,” said Benjamine Huffman, the chief of the Border Patrol’s strategic plan and analysis directorate. “The fact is, when it comes to border security, the border walls system works. Suggestions that the Border Patrol believes otherwise are false.”

The source concludes that border agents want a wall. You really should read beyond the headline.

If I was the President of the United States, I bet I could convince people to get behind me and support replacing the American Bald Eagle with a turkey as the U.S. National emblem. The same goes for Trump's wall. He brings the NBPC representatives to Washington to say what he wants them to say, not what the majority of their union believes. As you can see, there is a lot more to this story than just a few Border Patrol agents say "we need a wall" then others say "we need more security and a fence in vulnerable area where it's needed".

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/01/trump-nbpc/580237/
Why Did the Border Patrol Union Switch Its Position on the Wall?

The NBPC once opposed “wasting taxpayer money on building fences and walls along the border.”

In advocating for border security, President Donald Trump has repeatedly sought to enlist Border Patrol agents and their union, the Washington Post reports, even bringing union leaders for Border Patrol and Immigration and Customs Enforcement to the White House “to tout the wall.”

That isn’t surprising in one sense: Lots of politicians use uniformed law-enforcement officers as political props.
Why would union officials representing men and women who patrol the border be in favor of a barrier intended to stop migration better than humans?

Border Patrol agents are not a monolith, of course, and there are individual union members on both sides of the policy debate. In the mid-aughts, when I blogged about immigration for the Los Angeles Newspaper Group, I interviewed Border Patrol agents who literally rolled their eyes at the mention of a border wall and others who favored one.

Still,as recently as January 4, the website for the Border Patrol union stated, “The NBPC disagrees with wasting taxpayer money on building fences and walls along the border as a means of curtailing illegal entries into the United States.”

NBPS stands for National Border Patrol Strategy; the union argues that the overarching strategy needs to change. The archived website says:

The NBPC disagrees with wasting taxpayer money on building fences and walls along the border as a means of curtailing illegal entries into the United States. However, as long as we continue to operate under the current NBPS and ignore the problem that is causing illegal immigration, we realize fences and walls are essential.

Walls and fences are temporary solutions that focus on the symptom (illegal immigration) rather than the problem (employers who knowingly hire illegal aliens).

Walls and fences are only a speed bump. People who want to come to the United States to obtain employment will continue to go over, under, and around the walls and fences that are constructed.

Walls and fences will undoubtedly result in an increase in fraudulent documents and smuggling through the Ports of Entry.

Walls and fences do not solve the issue of people entering the country legally and staying beyond the date they are required to leave the country, a problem which will undoubtedly increase as more walls and fences are constructed.

The NBPC position regarding walls and fences is not due to a concern of losing our jobs if fences and walls are built. On the contrary, the NBPC realizes that walls and fences require just as much manpower to protect them. Border Patrol Agents witness what happens to walls and fences when there are not enough Border Patrol agents to protect them.

Judd’s statement is reasonable on its face. Over time, unions change their leadership and their stances on discrete issues. ”When the AP asked Judd himself if he had ever recommended a border wall prior to Trump’s candidacy, he said, “I do not know. I believe I have testified 21 times, and I don’t have time to go through each hearing.”

Back
Top Bottom