• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nurse practitioner says CVS fired her for refusing to give abortion drugs

As a private employer, they have the right to set policy. So...follow store policy or find another place to work.

Nobody is forcing anyone to work where their religious beliefs are offended. What's the conservative refrain? "Don't like it? Find another job."

Paige Casey says the company accommodated her Catholic beliefs for years, then changed course​

A former nurse practitioner who worked at an Alexandria, Va., MinuteClinic is suing CVS Health, alleging that the company fired her because she refused to give certain contraceptives or abortion-inducing drugs in keeping with her religious beliefs.

Attorneys for Paige Casey said in a lawsuit filed in Prince William County Circuit Court that CVS, which owns MinuteClinic, exempted the nurse for more than 2½ years from prescribing certain contraceptive drugs or devices that cause an abortion. It specifically cited Plan B and Ella, which are commonly referred to as morning-after pills. Casey was granted the accommodation after she wrote a request to the company based on her Catholic beliefs, the lawsuit said.

That changed in August 2021, when the Rhode Island-based company announced that its employees could no longer avoid prescribing abortion-inducing drugs and other forms of birth control, the lawsuit said.

“We are entering some dangerous territory if corporations can fire someone for exercising their religious beliefs,” said Denise Harle, senior counsel at Alliance Defending Freedom, a Christian, conservative legal group representing Casey in the case. “Tolerance goes two ways.”

Our current reactionary SCOTUS will back her up 100%.
I don't have an issue with CVS choosing to or not to accommodate someone's religious beliefs. It's their company, it's their choice. I would not care if they refused to sell the plan B pill or refused to let kids under 18 into their store unless accompanied with an adult, etc...

CVS is owned by Aetna now, isn't it? Maybe the nurse needs to check their policies.

If religious beliefs cause you to deny service to some, then find a new line of work.
I had a flight attendant that didn't want to serve alcohol because of her religion. She lost that battle.

Reminds one of Kim Davis. She was a train wreck.

Seriously, when you deal with the public, you can't really extend special rights to everyone based on their religion. I get that religion has some protection, but it should not affect the public.

I didn't have an issue with the cake maker who didn't sell the cake years ago. It was his own business, let him sell according to his biases. But if you are just another employee, you need to provide the same public services as any other employee (within bounds, for instance minors selling alcohol).

GOD will provide a better place to work. And as long as Christian organizations and companies can deny employment for denying Biblical teaching and indecent behavior, I have no problem with secular companies firing religious people for noncompliance. It is called freedom.

Back
Top Bottom