• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nurse practitioner says CVS fired her for refusing to give abortion drugs

Loulit01

What We've Got Here is a Failure to Communicate
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

Paige Casey says the company accommodated her Catholic beliefs for years, then changed course​

A former nurse practitioner who worked at an Alexandria, Va., MinuteClinic is suing CVS Health, alleging that the company fired her because she refused to give certain contraceptives or abortion-inducing drugs in keeping with her religious beliefs.

Attorneys for Paige Casey said in a lawsuit filed in Prince William County Circuit Court that CVS, which owns MinuteClinic, exempted the nurse for more than 2½ years from prescribing certain contraceptive drugs or devices that cause an abortion. It specifically cited Plan B and Ella, which are commonly referred to as morning-after pills. Casey was granted the accommodation after she wrote a request to the company based on her Catholic beliefs, the lawsuit said.

That changed in August 2021, when the Rhode Island-based company announced that its employees could no longer avoid prescribing abortion-inducing drugs and other forms of birth control, the lawsuit said.

“We are entering some dangerous territory if corporations can fire someone for exercising their religious beliefs,” said Denise Harle, senior counsel at Alliance Defending Freedom, a Christian, conservative legal group representing Casey in the case. “Tolerance goes two ways.”

Our current reactionary SCOTUS will back her up 100%.

Last edited:
If religious beliefs cause you to deny service to some, then find a new line of work.

I'd like to see where in the Bible God said "plan B is an affront to me" when it's not even an abortion pill.

This is the problem with religious folk, give them an inch and they'll take a mile with their ****ing made-up bullshit.

In any case, there's nothing preventing her from finding a different line of work.

Paige Casey says the company accommodated her Catholic beliefs for years, then changed course​

A former nurse practitioner who worked at an Alexandria, Va., MinuteClinic is suing CVS Health, alleging that the company fired her because she refused to give certain contraceptives or abortion-inducing drugs in keeping with her religious beliefs.

Attorneys for Paige Casey said in a lawsuit filed in Prince William County Circuit Court that CVS, which owns MinuteClinic, exempted the nurse for more than 2½ years from prescribing certain contraceptive drugs or devices that cause an abortion. It specifically cited Plan B and Ella, which are commonly referred to as morning-after pills. Casey was granted the accommodation after she wrote a request to the company based on her Catholic beliefs, the lawsuit said.

That changed in August 2021, when the Rhode Island-based company announced that its employees could no longer avoid prescribing abortion-inducing drugs and other forms of birth control, the lawsuit said.

“We are entering some dangerous territory if corporations can fire someone for exercising their religious beliefs,” said Denise Harle, senior counsel at Alliance Defending Freedom, a Christian, conservative legal group representing Casey in the case. “Tolerance goes two ways.”

Can't abide by company policy?

change companies.

It's really just that easy.

I had a devoutly Muslim employee, from Sudan, here as a refugee.

We retailed alcohol. Frat-party amounts of alcohol.

Think I ever had to terminate her employment? Think she ever refused to sell alcohol? Or clean up broken bottles and spills?

We came across a few who actively refused to, i.e., take someone off life support. They were asked to let someone else step in. That worked well for all involved.

I had a devoutly Muslim employee, from Sudan, here as a refugee.

We retailed alcohol. Frat-party amounts of alcohol.

Think I ever had to terminate her employment? Think she ever refused to sell alcohol? Or clean up broken bottles and spills?

Minneapolis had some problems when Somali immigrants working at Target would refuse to ring up bacon, pork chops, or alcohol, and cab drivers would refuse to take fares who had alcohol or seeing eye dogs.
I believe Keith Ellison had to finally step in and inform these immigrants that they had to either do their job or find other work.
It was a while ago so I am a bit fuzzy on the deets now, but I am pretty sure Ellison addressed the cabbie issue and Target simply followed suit soon after.

Minneapolis had some problems when Somali immigrants working at Target would refuse to ring up bacon, pork chops, or alcohol, and cab drivers would refuse to take fares who had alcohol or seeing eye dogs.
I believe Keith Ellison had to finally step in and inform these immigrants that they had to either do their job or find other work.
It was a while ago so I am a bit fuzzy on the deets now, but I am pretty sure Ellison addressed the cabbie issue and Target simply followed suit soon after.
Young adults can't ring up alcohol. Of course that's by law and not religion.

I'd like to see examples of a major chain store selling alcohol that has minors working checkout lines.
I doubt that Target would have any difficulty finding an adult to ring up the sale.

If your religious beliefs will not allow you to do your job, you gotta' go.

All those good christians complaining about sharia law as they try to impose their religious beliefs on the nation. I don't believe in the christian god so stop trying to force your religion on me.

You correctly recall everything except Ellison. He was a US Representative at that point, and in no position to "step in" as any kind of authority figure.

You correctly recall everything except Ellison. He was a US Representative at that point, and in no position to "step in" as any kind of authority figure.

No, you're wrong because I think at the time he was still in state government.

I'd like to see examples of a major chain store selling alcohol that has minors working checkout lines.
I doubt that Target would have any difficulty finding an adult to ring up the sale.
Yeah, the minor calls for assistance on their register, someone else logs the minor out, logs in and makes the sale. Target's plan B is on the shelf in the feminine products aisle, no CVS employee (CVS is in Target) has anything to do with the sale.

History is full of changes to laws and policies. From seatbelts to slavery, who uses which bathroom, tax rates to rebates, all can change.

She needs to get on board, go to confession, pray for forgiveness, or find another place to work. Plenty of hospitals in my state need all manner of nurses- course the work is much more intense than dispensing pills in a clinic.

No, you're wrong because I think at the time he was still in state government.
All the articles I saw were from 2007; he assumed office on 03 January. Regardless, even if it were slightly earlier, he was still just a state House representative, and in no position of authority to "step in" then, either.

Local Walmart has 18 year olds. Not a big deal, they call the head cashier or manager as soon as they see booze on the belt.

All the articles I saw were from 2007; he assumed office on 03 January. Regardless, even if it were slightly earlier, he was still just a state House representative, and in no position of authority to "step in" then, either.

"...just a state House representative but no authority"
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Tough toenails. Go find a job at a place that allows assistants to replace the doctors decisions.

"...just a state House representative but no authority"
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
It does if you:
A: don't omit part of the sentence, and
B: think about what authority a representative in a state legislature could possibly have over a Target employee. You know, the thing we're talking about.

It does if you:
A: don't omit part of the sentence, and
B: think about what authority a representative in a state legislature could possibly have over a Target employee. You know, the thing we're talking about.

I said earlier that Ellison spoke about the issue with the cab drivers at the airport.
But hey, if scrambling my words makes you feel like you won something...

I said earlier that Ellison spoke about the issue with the cab drivers at the airport.
But hey, if scrambling my words makes you feel like you won something...
Whatever, guy. Ellison had no authority to step in and do anything, whether at Target or the airport.

End of story.

They certainly can. You only have to be 21 years old to ring up alcohol.

What the heck is she doing in a job that goes along with prescribing contraceptives, etc? It's like being a vegan and working in a meat market and having a fit over selling meat.

As an employee of CVS she should be expected to follow CVS policy.
If her 'religious beliefs' conflict with that then she has the freedom to find another job.

Back
Top Bottom