• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Northern Irish politics - which sort of political parties would you favour?

• those who want the region to remain part of the United Kingdom

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • those who want a united Ireland

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • those who want an independent Northern Irish state

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

There are exactly 3 kinds:

those who want the region to remain part of the United Kingdom
those who want a united Ireland
those who want an independent Northern Irish state

I favour those who want a united Ireland

Now:

1 x those who want the region to remain part of the United Kingdom​

1 x those who want a united Ireland​

interesting! :)

While I'd like Northern Ireland to remain part of the UK I'd have no objection to them splitting after a vote to do so.

It's their choice, not mine as I'm English.

It's their choice, not mine as I'm English.
This here is just an INTERNET POLL.
NOT a referendum or an election.
Only your personal opinion is asked.

This here is just an INTERNET POLL.
NOT a referendum or an election.
Only your personal opinion is asked.

I know.
I'm of the same opinion when it comes to Scotland.

My only objection is that they said that the last vote was a once in a generation vote but as soon as they lost the independence side called for another vote.
I have a feeling they will do so again if they lose again.

I know.
I'm of the same opinion when it comes to Scotland.

My only objection is that they said that the last vote was a once in a generation vote but as soon as they lost the independence side called for another vote.
I have a feeling they will do so again if they lose again.
I'm very leery of the declaration of "only once (this time)" as an instrument of "and then you and your kids and grand kids will have to shut up forever".

If that principle had even been applied in permanence, we'd all still be swinging from the trees.

Just an observation on how change of circumstance should be allowed to deal a new deck, but beyond that I agree with you that it's up to the people that are truly affected by any of it.

Historically I think that the splitting of Ireland was an abomination already but, despite my Granddad having been Irish, I'm an outsider on this and don't qualify for anything.

As a Brit I'd turn it all over to Dublin on the principles voiced above.

I think that´s a slight mischaracterization. I´m not aware of any significant party that wants an independent Northern Irish state but Alliance, Northern Irish Green party, and a number of others don´t have a strong position on the constitutional status of Northern Ireland.

I don´t have any dog in this fight in terms of national identity etc. Honestly, if I were in Northern Ireland my main concern about unification would be having to pay 30 Euros to see a doctor, and my main concern about staying in the UK would be that NI is closer economically to Ireland than it is to the UK so it seems stupid to risk isolating them.

Honestly, I think the main priority should be finding a solution that works and has the support of both communities. I think the current power-sharing system works a lot better than what was in place before (basically one-party rule by the Ulster Unionist Party) but now that there is a demographic shift toward a bigger catholic population and now that younger generations are moving away from sectarian politics in general a new solution needs to be found.

I reckon the third option doesn't really float.

And you forgot "Guinness" :D

I think that´s a slight mischaracterization. I´m not aware of any significant party that wants an independent Northern Irish state
Maybe not a significant party - but I am sure that there are some people there who have this idea.

The re-unification of Germany was defined this way:
Not as a merger of GDR and FRG, but so that the 5 Länder of the East joined the 11 Länder of the West.
So maybe once the 6 of the 9 counties of Ulster will join those other counties in the Republic.

Maybe not a significant party - but I am sure that there are some people there who have this idea.

Sure but historically when this has been proposed it´s been a plan B for Unionists. I.E if the UK no longer supports them they can still avoid becoming part of Ireland by becoming independent.

I like the idea of something in between independence and joint sovereignty. I.E Northern Ireland is a separate territory to both the UK and Ireland with access to the single market and is allowed to do its own thing as long as power-sharing continues but with the UK and Ireland as guarantors who can step in if power-sharing breaks down. Or something like the Belfast agreement but in reverse. So Northern Ireland would be a part of Ireland with a degree of autonomy and a power-sharing administration. A united Ireland sounds romantic but if around half of the population doesn´t want it it´s unlikely to be a lot of fun unless they are taken into account.

A united Ireland sounds romantic but if around half of the population doesn´t want it it´s unlikely to be a lot of fun unless they are taken into account.
Is it really 50 %?

Of all Ireland?

Brexit has changed the calculus, but why would you go to the trouble of escaping the yoke of London in order then to subsume yourself into Dublin?

Is it really 50 %?

Of all Ireland?
Northern Ireland.

Still more or less split down the middle but demographics are not working in favor of the Unionists, long term speaking.

Brexit has changed the calculus, but why would you go to the trouble of escaping the yoke of London in order then to subsume yourself into Dublin?
Would Dublin be the same "yoke" as London?

Would Dublin be the same "yoke" as London?
Not the same, no. But still an extra level of administrative yoke imposed from elsewhere.

The Irish Times had an article today about how the Union isn’t going too well for the North.

Nobody can seriously claim Northern Ireland is thriving in the UK

Emma DeSouza: With public services buckling, poor educational outcomes and no functioning executive, the union is an increasingly hard sell

link

4 of 8 favour ....

those who want a united Ireland​

Back
Top Bottom