• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Normal pregnancy should have no heath insurance coverage

Rick

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Pregnancy is not a disease - it is either the voluntary or negligent choice of parents. Non-parents shouldn't have to pay higher insurance premium rates to support some people's parenthood projects.

who cares if its a "disease"?

at the beginning of the 20th century, before the advent of modern aseptic medicine, cesarean section, prenatal care, fluid management, and blood transfusions, the maternal death rate was 1 death for every 100 births. 100 times higher than it is today.

but all of these things are expensive! vaginal delivery costs $7,737 on average, and that doesn't include prenatal care.

and who cares if its a choice? childbirth is a normal and even expected part of life. eating meat is also a choice that leads to heath problems that could be avoided by vegetarianism, but it would be rediculous to suggest that these health problems shouldn't be covered.

Pregnancy is not a disease - it is either the voluntary or negligent choice of parents. Non-parents shouldn't have to pay higher insurance premium rates to support some people's parenthood projects.

Pregnancy causes plenty of dis ease and dis comfort and even death. People shouldn't have to pay higher insurance premium rates to support some people's fertility problems. There are plenty of people in the world already, extreme measures to give infertile people what they want is unnecessary.

Of course it's not a disease - it is however a condition that we as a society have deemed worthy of medical coverage.

If you want to go find a health care provider that won't cover pregnancy in the hopes that it'll save you a couple bucks a month, go for it.

My insurance won't cover it unless I add on a maternity waiver.

Of course it's not a disease - it is however a condition that we as a society have deemed worthy of medical coverage.

If you want to go find a health care provider that won't cover pregnancy in the hopes that it'll save you a couple bucks a month, go for it.
Actually, it is required for company sponsored group policies. You can buy individual policies with out it and that is one reason they are much cheaper.

No so long ago, group insurance was much cheaper than an individual policy, but since the governemt put all the mandates on group coverage it is now much higher.

How stupid is it you ask. A woman that has had a tubal ligation still has to have pregnacy coverage under a group policy.

who cares if its a "disease"?

at the beginning of the 20th century, before the advent of modern aseptic medicine, cesarean section, prenatal care, fluid management, and blood transfusions, the maternal death rate was 1 death for every 100 births. 100 times higher than it is today.

but all of these things are expensive! vaginal delivery costs $7,737 on average, and that doesn't include prenatal care.

and who cares if its a choice? childbirth is a normal and even expected part of life. eating meat is also a choice that leads to heath problems that could be avoided by vegetarianism, but it would be rediculous to suggest that these health problems shouldn't be covered.

No no no my child. Pregnancy is voluntary - health insurance is designed to cover the unexpected occurence of disease or accident.

"Society" hasn't deemed it, parents, who want to loot the bank accounts of non-parents have deemed it.

"Society" hasn't deemed it, parents, who want to loot the bank accounts of non-parents have deemed it.

No, by voting for representatives who passed such a thing into law, society has deemed it.

No, by voting for representatives who passed such a thing into law, society has deemed it.

Deemed or not, I have as much business paying for parents' kiddie projects as they do paying for my ski vacation.

Deemed or not, I have as much business paying for parents' kiddie projects as they do paying for my ski vacation.

Then get a time machine and go back to take it up with Justice O.J. Roberts.

You have the choice of getting an individual policy without the maternity coverage.

The big problem is that the individual cannot generally deduct premiums while a company you work for can deduct the premiums they pay for you. Another consequence of using the tax code to influence social policy.

No no no my child. Pregnancy is voluntary - health insurance is designed to cover the unexpected occurence of disease or accident.

Well if at some point you do want the human race to continue, pregnancy does moves from voluntary to necessary.

What??? :shock:

US v. Butler was the case where the Justice Roberts, writing for the majority, explicated that Congress had the power to levy funds for the general welfare of the people. By voting to include pregnancy in these health insurance systems, Congress is exercising that right. If you say there's something terribly wrong with this idea, either take it up with your congressman or go back in time and duke it out with Roberts.

Well if at some point you do want the human race to continue, pregnancy does moves from voluntary to necessary.

I want the human race to continue, and I'm SURE that doesn't require a subsidy from me.

- health insurance is designed to cover the unexpected occurence of disease or accident.

Exactly, how does the woman know at the beginning of her pregnancy that she isn't going to have a blood clot ( peripartum pulmonary embolisms), transverse breach birth that requires a cesarean section, peripartum cardiomyopathy ( congestive heart failure that occurs with pregnancy) , hyperemisis gravidorium, eclampsia ( seizures during pregnancy), HELlP syndrome ( a form of life threatening syndrom affecting liver and platelets) etc etc. ?all conditions that can happen with pregnancy and very hard to predict. Does she take out an insurance policy only when her pregnancy becomes abnormal? (of course there is no such insurance policies).

Last edited:
Exactly, how does the woman know at the beginning of her pregnancy that she isn't going to have a blood clot ( peripartum pulmonary embolisms), transverse breach birth that requires a cesarean section, peripartum cardiomyopathy ( congestive heart failure that occurs with pregnancy) , hyperemisis gravidorium, eclampsia ( seizures during pregnancy), HELlP syndrome ( a form of life threatening syndrom affecting liver and platelets) etc etc. ?all conditions that can happen with pregnancy and very hard to predict. Does she take out an insurance policy only when her pregnancy becomes abnormal? (of course there is no such insurance policies).
Thanks bandaidwoman, your professional expertise, as always, makes for good reading and education.
There's always that segment that all they can see is 'what's in it for ME'

Protecting the health of the next generation of American citizens is the very heart of protecting the general welfare, and to argue that it is somehow outside the mandate of government is ludicrous.

That you're objecting to this policy because it costs you an extra couple of dollars per month takes it from ludicrous to sickening. Thankfully, neither our government nor the leaders of our insurance industry are quite so short-sighted.

US v. Butler was the case where the Justice Roberts, writing for the majority, explicated that Congress had the power to levy funds for the general welfare of the people. By voting to include pregnancy in these health insurance systems, Congress is exercising that right. If you say there's something terribly wrong with this idea, either take it up with your congressman or go back in time and duke it out with Roberts.

Levying funds for the general welfare doesn't at all imply plundering the bank accounts of non-parents for parents.

Read more carefully - the thread title said normal prenancy.

Read more carefully - the thread title said normal prenancy.

Poor naive child. She's describing "normal" pregnancy.
Baby-makin' is a risky occupation.
That's why most of us- those of us who live in times and places where we have a choice- only choose to do it once or twice.

Poor naive child. She's describing "normal" pregnancy.
Baby-makin' is a risky occupation.
That's why most of us- those of us who live in times and places where we have a choice- only choose to do it once or twice.

Want to engage in risky behavior? Take on the costs and consequences yourself.

Back
Top Bottom