• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Nobody wants to work anymore':

'Nobody wants to work anymore':

• Government handouts

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Millennials just don't want to work

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poor pay and working conditions

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • Other

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters
I have to laugh at those who voted poor pay and working conditions. Typical leftist bullshit "I'm not going to work anywhere because of low pay and bad working conditions". Meanwhile, they take in government benefits and become couch potatoes. Take their government benefits away and see if they would rather live in this world with zero income.

I must admit: I recently got signed up on a BidenCare™ Healthcare plan. NO COMPLAINTS!!!

I have ZERO premiums, ZERO deductibles, its better than paid Medicare. Now that I've got a taste of FREE BidenCare™, I'll be dug in on that deeper than a tick on a hound!!

I believe its supposed to be like a pandemic medicaid expansion (I didnt hardly work at all last year), but now that I'm on it they'll have to pry me off with a crowbar!!
LOL!! NOT HAPPENING!

Thank you Mr. President!!! (y) 💯 :LOL:

My company is seeing this, its a very large tech company. Last month most of us got raises, and the company is giving out bonuses to most of the American employees next month. It was a nice surprise! Gonna spend it on some needed home improvement. My mate got headhunted back to her previous employer with a matching salary, and a nice starting bonus, and no on-call, no weekends, and no expectation to work extra hours.

Gotta take care of your employees, or they are gone.

Interested in what everyone thinks

Why are so many jobs going unfilled

When emergency benefits pay better than your old job, that's a pretty sad statement about your old employer.
By the way, in the intervening year, lots of people DID get jobs, better ones, some of them got REMOTE jobs that paid better, so that bunch will NEVER return to their old professions and apparently not a lot of people are eager to fill them now.

Dear employers:
Up the pay and offer security and benefits, and stop crying and whining about it being an employee's market, you old scrooges.

In some cases, the nature of jobs has changed.

I know that the restaurants around my area that used to operate seven days a week may only be operating five days a week due to lack of help. When you do find a restaurant that is open you will probably have to wait 15 to 25 minutes to be seated. It's not that tables are not available but there aren't enough servers to wait on everyone.

There are plenty of jobs out there, restaurant or otherwise. By why would someone work when I can work only to have my income confiscated and handed over to the lazy bastards who are "so much better than me" that they won't work.

I have to laugh at those who voted poor pay and working conditions. Typical leftist bullshit "I'm not going to work anywhere because of low pay and bad working conditions".
It seems to me that negotiating higher pay and/or better working conditions is exactly how capitalism is supposed to work. If your worldview treats it as an honor to work shitty jobs for shitty pay, then you'll probably get exactly what you bargained for.

Last edited:
Interested in what everyone thinks

Why are so many jobs going unfilled
It's clearly a combination of all three but you did not allow multiple choices.

Millenniums are most defiantly what we called bums in the 60's.

$300 a week extra does make unemployment as good as working a low end job.

Poor pay creates no desire to get off the sofa.

One thing I think you omit is the reduction in migrants. This hurts small businesses mightily.

There are plenty of jobs out there, restaurant or otherwise. By why would someone work when I can work only to have my income confiscated and handed over to the lazy bastards who are "so much better than me" that they won't work.

Why would someone expose themselves to so much potential Covid as a public facing employee does? (think of the red state ignoring of Covid safeguards)
This coupled with a lack of immigrants are the reason you have no wait staff at your restaurants.

I have know tons of lazy people who were not lazy at all when the job paid well. ;)

It seems to me that negotiating higher pay and/or better working conditions is exactly how capitalism is supposed to work. If your worldview treats it as an honor to work shitty jobs for shitty pay, then you'll probably get exactly what you bargained for.
You are exactly right. But, you don't collect government benefits solely because you don't want to work at crappy low paying jobs. If you choose not to work then fine, earn zero money and live on zero money. We are currently at a time now where if you are worth more you can certainly earn more and people are quitting in droves and moving to higher paying jobs. But, we aren't going to pay you any government benefits because you choose not to work. Working for $7.25 per hour should always be more beneficial than collecting government benefits. Liberals just fail to get a clue that their policies wipe out the backbone of America - small employers. Their policies wipe out the little guy so that only the McDonalds and the Walmarts and Amazons are left standing.

Most people WANT to work.

Not only for the money.

Work identifies a person.

It gives structure to one's life.

Some people have nothing else in their life but work.

They do not want to "retire."
I wouldn't go that far. Working almost every day of the year and feeling guilty for taking like a week off sucks. The US work until you drop thing is stupid. That being said, it's better than being broke, and I'm glad that I am still physically able to do it.

Lets not forget the cost of child care. The wage has to be substantially better than minimum or the govt has to make up the difference in order for someone with kids to benefit. As a society, we still have not decided whether we want parents of young kids in or out of the job market, or staying home, what we are willing to sacrifice to help make that happen. It seems to me, we want them in two places for 12 years.

Poor work habits didn't just begin after covid. Before I retired I could tell that millenials were NEVER capable of being as hard working and industrious as worker over 50 are. Much of that is due to how all are permanantly tethered to a smart phone 24/7. That one thing ends up being their number one priorty thoughut the work day... it is very distracting. Try mandating that employees turn off their cell phones or leave them in their cars or lockers, and you end up with a mutiny. It would be easier to make a crackhead put his pipe away for an hour.

Well it seems that those who have raised their wages are having no problem finding workers.

And those who refuse are having problems.

Law of supply and demand

Wages in America have been too low for decades. Glad to see the workers having a little power. Unions are the answer but the wealthy have spent a ton of money to convince working class Americans that unions are bad for them. I don't understand how they do it.

Regardless of why people don't want to work, the situation will spur automation big time. The rush is on to automate. You think automation has already been in full swing, just watch and wait.

A couple of years ago, Cerner, a medical records company, built a large campus here. Two big buildings and hundreds of workers. Now the campus is up for sale. Cerner is trimming down the workforce, allowing many to work from home permanently, and automating wherever they can. A friend of mine in management there told me they never want to be dependent again on an excessively large workforce.

Why would someone expose themselves to so much potential Covid as a public facing employee does? (think of the red state ignoring of Covid safeguards)
There are quite a number of people working those "public-facing-employees" that show-up everyday that do the same job that so many others are simply too proud to do.
This coupled with a lack of immigrants are the reason you have no wait staff at your restaurants.
Nah, there never were any immigrants around here so that ain't it.

But with Biden sending them all around the country...maybe soon.
I have know tons of lazy people who were not lazy at all when the job paid well. ;)
Sitting at home while my taxes pay for them to sit at home ain't much of a business plan.

I think we should cut-off all aid immediately.

I understand hunger is a helluva motivator.

Poor work habits didn't just begin after covid. Before I retired I could tell that millenials were NEVER capable of being as hard working and industrious as worker over 50 are. Much of that is due to how all are permanantly tethered to a smart phone 24/7. That one thing ends up being their number one priorty thoughut the work day... it is very distracting. Try mandating that employees turn off their cell phones or leave them in their cars or lockers, and you end up with a mutiny. It would be easier to make a crackhead put his pipe away for an hour.
funny you should mention that. Besides my regular job, I owned a small construction company. I can remember looking over at the painters and seeing one young man holding a paint brush in one hand, swiping at the wall he was supposed to be painting, and looking at his cell phone in the other hand. He was definitely more focused on the cell phone. Another time I looked up at a worker supposed to be nailing shingles on a roof and saw that he was sitting there smoking a joint. I made him get off the roof. I didn't need a big workman's comp case to deal with if he slid off because he was high on pot. Both of these workers were millennials. There are some good millennials out there, but probably few and far between.
Hispanic workers are another story. The ones who come up from the South are usually great workers. Their born here "Americanized" offspring not so much. More like millennials.

Back
Top Bottom