• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New Zealand - 2nd round of gun buyback

Artymoon

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
What to know about second gun buyback and all the other gun law changes | Newshub

The group of additional prohibited items:
  • Centre-fire pump-action rifles capable of being used with a detachable magazine
  • Centre-fire pump-action rifles with one or more non-detachable magazines capable of holding more than 10 cartridges
  • Semi-automatic pistols excluding those defined as a "small semi-automatic pistols" as mentioned on the police website.

The Auditor-General was unable to determine if New Zealanders were any safer as a result of the Government's gun buyback scheme because police did not know for sure how many firearms and parts were in the community. "Without this information, we do not yet know how effective the scheme was and whether implementing the scheme has delivered value for money."

National's police spokesperson Simeon Brown described the gun buyback scheme as "merely a marketing exercise", given that after spending more than $100 million, the Government couldn't confirm if it had made New Zealand safer or if it had collected all prohibited firearms. "That's because most law-abiding New Zealanders handed in their now-prohibited firearms, but gangs and criminals, those who pose the greatest risk to our safety, did not." There are plans to establish a firearms register, but Brown doubts it will help because even if it's put in place, prohibited firearms will never appear in it.

------------------------------------------------

What? You mean criminals won't follow the mandate? Shocker.

National's spokesman? LOL

It always amazes me that Americas Democrats are against personal freedoms.

It always amazes me that Americas Democrats are against personal freedoms.
Try to ban smart phones and you'd see them come out in droves.:)

New Zealand is an interesting case; island that has complete control of its borders. Does it progress to 3rd, 4th rounds and eventually into forced confiscations? Will this lower crime and make them safer or is it a case of the gov't keeping the people under their thumb?

I don't think New Zealand has gangs or criminals.
If gun grabbing wasn't such a threat in this country I think I'd actually find this comment funny.

New Zealand is an interesting case; island that has complete control of its borders. Does it progress to 3rd, 4th rounds and eventually into forced confiscations? Will this lower crime and make them safer or is it a case of the gov't keeping the people under their thumb?
How does New Zealand and Australia get their illegal drugs one has to inquire?

I did a bit of checking. https://druginfo.sl.nsw.gov.au/drugs/a-to-z-of-drugs

How does New Zealand and Australia get their illegal drugs one has to inquire?

I did a bit of checking. https://druginfo.sl.nsw.gov.au/drugs/a-to-z-of-drugs
No doubt some illegal guns would make their way into the country as do illegal drugs. But, not in the kind of numbers that people could point to and say "it's not us,
it's the people bringing guns in that are the problem". If it were ever able to reach those kind of numbers, then that shows an inability or unwillingness to manage your borders.

No doubt some illegal guns would make their way into the country as do illegal drugs. But, not in the kind of numbers that people could point to and say "it's not us,
it's the people bringing guns in that are the problem". If it were ever able to reach those kind of numbers, then that shows an inability or unwillingness to manage your borders.

I have yet to understand any nation on earth banning guns.

Government can be the tool to help, but nobody can damage you like your own Government can.

How does not having a certain type of gun keep anyone under the thumb?

An ever expanding thumb, eh?

National's police spokesperson Simeon Brown described the gun buyback scheme as "merely a marketing exercise", given that after spending more than $100 million, the Government couldn't confirm if it had made New Zealand safer or if it had collected all prohibited firearms.

First buyback came and went. Now 2nd round is to include some additional types of weapons. When they realize that this round won't make a difference, they'll move to another and beyond. Eventually, it will be a total ban with the same head scratching as to why they aren't any safer.

Your country though, if you're cool with it then more power to you.

An ever expanding thumb, eh?

National's police spokesperson Simeon Brown described the gun buyback scheme as "merely a marketing exercise", given that after spending more than $100 million, the Government couldn't confirm if it had made New Zealand safer or if it had collected all prohibited firearms.
National would they are the opposition and it is there job to oppose.

I thought National's job was to say horribly condescending things about the Maori.

Thanks for the insight as I don't know much about the political structure there. As for the ones who are gun control advocates, did they list reason(s) why a 2nd buyback with additional items listed was necessary?

Messenger only slightly wounded....

Message still stands....

Fear drove the New Zealanders to the ban.... Feel good legislation that did little to make people safer.

Messenger only slightly wounded....

Message still stands....

Fear drove the New Zealanders to the ban.... Feel good legislation that did little to make people safer.
I do not recognise where this fear you say is coming from. Nor do i recognise your silly opinion on why the ban. There your opinions and nothing more. You cannot give any links that would demonstrate such a fear exists. Yet links abound of the fear that exists in america. Because it has been bred into the people that they should fear.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/09/donald-trump-and-the-politics-of-fear/498116/

People are scared,” Donald Trump said recently, and he was not wrong.

Fear is in the air, and fear is surging. Americans are more afraid today than they have been in a long time: Polls show majorities of Americans worried about being victims of terrorism and crime, numbers that have surged over the past year to highs not seen for more than a decade. Every week seems to bring a new large- or small-scale terrorist attack, at home or abroad. Mass shootings form a constant drumbeat. Protests have shut down large cities repeatedly, and some have turned violent. Overall crime rates may be down, but a sense of disorder is constant.

Fear pervades Americans’ lives—and American politics. Trump is a master of fear, invoking it in concrete and abstract ways, summoning and validating it. More than most politicians, he grasps and channels the fear coursing through the electorate. And if Trump still stands a chance to win in November, fear could be the key.

Your throwing your own reflection back at me. You can pretend nz has a fear of a gun but you cannot show it exists in any other way than to simply make the claim. Which makes it a very weak claim.

And Yes you are partly correct. It is feel good legislation but not for the silly purpose you pretend it is for. There is very little anyone can do to stop a person determined to cause harm except to start to live by the principle that we should not do harm. The legislation sets forth that sort of determination.

Where as what do you have? With trump you can be sure it will be even more reasons why you desperately need guns that are good for killing other americans if you want to be free.

Thanks for the insight as I don't know much about the political structure there. As for the ones who are gun control advocates, did they list reason(s) why a 2nd buyback with additional items listed was necessary?
We are al gun control advocates. A handful of idiot right wing libertarians is about all you have over here that object.

The laws are old they needed updating for a long time and the government finally got around to it. It' is apparently how our political structure works.

I do not recognise where this fear you say is coming from. Nor do i recognise your silly opinion on why the ban. There your opinions and nothing more. You cannot give any links that would demonstrate such a fear exists. Yet links abound of the fear that exists in america. Because it has been bred into the people that they should fear.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/09/donald-trump-and-the-politics-of-fear/498116/

Your throwing your own reflection back at me. You can pretend nz has a fear of a gun but you cannot show it exists in any other way than to simply make the claim. Which makes it a very weak claim.

And Yes you are partly correct. It is feel good legislation but not for the silly purpose you pretend it is for. There is very little anyone can do to stop a person determined to cause harm except to start to live by the principle that we should not do harm. The legislation sets forth that sort of determination.

Where as what do you have? With trump you can be sure it will be even more reasons why you desperately need guns that are good for killing other americans if you want to be free.

As I stated... You cannot wake a man that is pretending to sleep.

Fear... Nothing but cold, hard fear was the driving factor in the New Zealand gun ban. The same fear you demonstrate when you speak of the US.

Fear....

Tell us why the ban was instituted.

Fear.

One bad guy kills a bunch of good people in NZ and the nation goes into a spasm of fear.

Oh, and the TRUMP CARD doesn't play....

Find another shtick.

We are al gun control advocates. A handful of idiot right wing libertarians is about all you have over here that object.

The laws are old they needed updating for a long time and the government finally got around to it. It' is apparently how our political structure works.

Fear driven.

What to know about second gun buyback and all the other gun law changes | Newshub

• Centre-fire pump-action rifles capable of being used with a detachable magazine
  • Centre-fire pump-action rifles with one or more non-detachable magazines capable of holding more than 10 cartridges
  • Semi-automatic pistols excluding those defined as a "small semi-automatic pistols" as mentioned on the police website.

The Auditor-General was unable to determine if New Zealanders were any safer as a result of the Government's gun buyback scheme because police did not know for sure how many firearms and parts were in the community. "Without this information, we do not yet know how effective the scheme was and whether implementing the scheme has delivered value for money."

National's police spokesperson Simeon Brown described the gun buyback scheme as "merely a marketing exercise", given that after spending more than $100 million, the Government couldn't confirm if it had made New Zealand safer or if it had collected all prohibited firearms. "That's because most law-abiding New Zealanders handed in their now-prohibited firearms, but gangs and criminals, those who pose the greatest risk to our safety, did not." There are plans to establish a firearms register, but Brown doubts it will help because even if it's put in place, prohibited firearms will never appear in it.

I think it is disgusting. Criminals that don't follow the law should be illegal.;)

Back
Top Bottom