• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Netanyahu's deadline coming up

joluoto

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
He needs to form a government by tonight, he probably won't be able to.

Israel’s Netanyahu faces midnight deadline to form coalition

Still he has more lives than a cat, if there is no government he'd still lead the caretaker government until either someone else is able to have a Knesset majority, unlikely and old Benny will make sure no one else has, or new elections are called (again). The old grifter will try to stay in power ad infinitum to make sure the corruption charges against him goes nowhere.

So since Netanyahu did not come up with some miracle in the last hours, his deadline to form a government has now expired. It's now up to President Reuven Rivlin to announce what's next.

It's such an interesting way of setting up a government.
It's normal in most countries with parliamentarism. The government must have the confidence of parliament. So if the largest party of parliament can't form a government with parliamentary confidence, the second largest party gets a chance. And if no one can form a government that would have parliamentary backing, new elections it is.

It's normal in most countries with parliamentarism. The government must have the confidence of parliament. So if the largest party of parliament can't form a government with parliamentary confidence, the second largest party gets a chance. And if no one can form a government that would have parliamentary backing, new elections it is.

Truly, but I think the problem with such a system is over-representation in which extremist parties such as what could be considered Israeli fascists and Israel-hating Arab revanchists become tie-breaking powerbrokers with their one or two seats. but I wonder if the Israelis would have done better to adopt Semi Pesidential system like that of France so that the workings of the civil service and security forces could continue without uncertainty.

Truly, but I think the problem with such a system is over-representation in which extremist parties such as what could be considered Israeli fascists and Israel-hating Arab revanchists become tie-breaking powerbrokers with their one or two seats. but I wonder if the Israelis would have done better to adopt Semi Pesidential system like that of France so that the workings of the civil service and security forces could continue without uncertainty.
Well, then the other parties needs to take their responsibility for the country and work together or they chooses to govern with the help of those parties. ..

I'm a bit familiar with that process I just find it an interesting one. Isn't this a 2nd election in Israel now where Bibi struggles to form a government? Sounds like that country is divided that the U.S. Unless the right wing Likud loves suppressing votes over there as much as Republicans do here skewing results.

I'm a bit familiar with that process I just find it an interesting one. Isn't this a 2nd election in Israel now where Bibi struggles to form a government? Sounds like that country is divided that the U.S. Unless the right wing Likud loves suppressing votes over there as much as Republicans do here skewing results.
Israeli politics has become a hornet nest (as in even more than before), some of Netanyahu's former allies now hates his guts. And some of his allied parties hate each other, such as neither the secular nationalists nor the orthodox fundies has anything against Netanyahu, but they hate each other so much that they refuse to enter the same coalition. Of course the only reason Netanyahu even tries to hold on to power is because he wants to keep dodging corruption charges, and everyone knows that.

Fifth!

Fifth!
Typical response of an authoritarian.

"NEED MOAR WAR WITH MOOSLIMS TO SOLIDIFY PEOPLE'S FEARS AND VOTE FER MEEEE!"​

Especially one that's been tagged with so many corruption indictments that he needs to retain his position of power to avoid them.

The man has more political lives than a cat. And always seem to get a crisis exactly when he needs one.

The man has more political lives than a cat. And always seem to get a crisis exactly when he needs one.
How Bibi came to power in 2009. December 2008, war in Gaza.

September 2008 Prime Minster Ehud Olmert ousted as leadership of his party
October 2008 deadline to form new government
December 23rd 2008, 43 parties sign up for election. (33 ended up running in the election)
December 27th 2008, Gaza war breaks out.

Began on 27 December 2008 and ended on 18 January 2009 with a unilateral ceasefire. The conflict resulted in between 1,166 and 1,417 Palestinian and 13 Israeli deaths (including 4 from friendly fire).​
Although the Likud party placed second in the 2009 elections, the right-wing parties won a majority; thus, Netanyahu managed to form a coalition government after the elections, and thus became the new Prime Minister.​
Amazing how war with Palestinians breaks out every time right wingers, in the case Bibi, needs an election victory.

Last edited:
How Bibi came to power in 2008. December 2008, war in Gaza.

September 2008 Prime Minster Ehud Olmert ousted as leadership of his party
October 2008 deadline to form new government
December 23rd 2008, 43 parties sign up for election. (33 ended up running in the election)
December 27th 2008, Gaza war breaks out.

Began on 27 December 2008 and ended on 18 January 2009 with a unilateral ceasefire. The conflict resulted in between 1,166 and 1,417 Palestinian and 13 Israeli deaths (including 4 from friendly fire).​
Although the Likud party placed second in the 2009 elections, the right-wing parties won a majority; thus, Netanyahu managed to form a coalition government after the elections, and thus became the new Prime Minister.​
Amazing how war with Palestinians breaks out every time Bibi needs an election victory.
No coincidence, naturally. Similarly with Trump; any time he needed votes he invented a crisis replete with a tsunami of lies.

Israel: Netanyahu rival agrees to join coalition to unseat him

Seems like Bibi's rivals are putting their own differences aside (which is huge, some of them absolutely detest each other) in order to make sure his time is up. Will be interesting to see how he digs himself up of this hole. If he is not PM anymore he will face corruption charges.

And of course Netanyahu has nothing to back up this ludicrous piece of scare mongering. Most political commentators agree his time is up.
Then again, never underestimate him, he has more lives than a cat. Somehow he manages to win despite losing, and it wouldn't be the first time.

Then again, never underestimate him, he has more lives than a cat. Somehow he manages to win despite losing, and it wouldn't be the first time.
We can but hope his time is up. It's time a more moderate government took over from the far-right's belligerence and intransigence over Palestine.

We can but hope his time is up. It's time a more moderate government took over from the far-right's belligerence and intransigence over Palestine.
Considering Naftali Bennet is involved in the coalition talks I dunno if it's more moderate. He is further right than Bibi.

I know, but in a coalition all sides have a voice so with luck cooler heads will prevail.
My predicition is still: Wednesday deadline comes up, no coalition in sight. President Rivlin will throw the the formation directly to parliament and give parliament a couple of weeks to come up with some black horse compromise minority government, and when that fails: new elections again.

I hope for Israel's sake that this won't happen, this inability to form a long- term government is hurting them, but returning Bibi to power would likewise hurt them, especially since he's just in to save his own ass.

My predicition is still: Wednesday deadline comes up, no coalition in sight. President Rivlin will throw the the formation directly to parliament and give parliament a couple of weeks to come up with some black horse compromise minority government, and when that fails: new elections again.

I hope for Israel's sake that this won't happen, this inability to form a long- term government is hurting them, but returning Bibi to power would likewise hurt them, especially since he's just in to save his own ass.
Netanyahu is as poisonous to Israel as Trump is to American

I hope we can look back in a few years and see both in jail where they belong.

So Israel maybe has a coalition, or maybe not?

Israel's fragile coalition faces early survival test

Also the only thing that the parties agreeing to this coalition has in common is that they hate Bibi. Once he is out of the picture, as in not politically relevant anymore, it will probably crumble.

Back
Top Bottom