• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Neighbors Want Family's Handicap Ramp Removed

A couple of things come to mind here. Choosing to use massive amounts of concrete/steel for the ramp makes it very permanent (industrial looking?) and more expensive to build (or to later remove) than had it been constructed of pressure treated wood and the solid construction makes it affect drainage on the lot. The use of landscaping to conceal/decorate the ramp seems to have been attempted yet, as in any new planting scheme, it requires a lot more expense to add large plants initially - note that even the trees in the yard are still very small and supported by stakes/wires as is done in nearly all new construction.

Completely agree with what you say. I would note that landscaping is usually where people cut corners. For example, that twig of a tree probably cost roughly $75, whereas a noticeably nicer tree would have been roughly $300. In the same vein, they probably spent $20 each on those starter plants when $75 plants would have looked better and bigger from the beginning. Granted, we don't know their financial constraints, I'm just pointing out that this is where most people cut corners. These differences aren't all that huge when factored into the cost of the overall project.

Completely agree with what you say. I would note that landscaping is usually where people cut corners. For example, that twig of a tree probably cost roughly $75, whereas a noticeably nicer tree would have been roughly $300. In the same vein, they probably spent $20 each on those starter plants when $75 plants would have looked better and bigger from the beginning. Granted, we don't know their financial constraints, I'm just pointing out that this is where most people cut corners. These differences aren't all that huge when factored into the cost of the overall project.

Common landscaping mistakes are choosing fast growing, yet short lived and high maintanence, "instant shade" trees and planting the trees/shrubs too close to each other and to the home's foundation.

https://www.austintreeexperts.com/blog/all-about-bradford-pears/

Quick! I need a fast-growing shade tree . . . | The Lazy Gardener | a Chron.com blog

You should have read a bit further into your supplied link:

Thanks for finding that info.

I thought there was a federal law which would prohibit aHOA from making rules that will not allow a disabled person to enjoy their home or unit especially at their own expense .

I know that federal laws and state laws override HOA rules.
Such as an HOA may have a rule that says no fences allowed in the sub but if a homeowner puts a pool in their yard they must install a fence around the pool.

The state or federal law overrides the HOA rules in cases like that.

Back
Top Bottom