• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Neighbor Tried To Kill My Dogs

Geoist

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
So wife and I had a stressful couple of days last week. On Friday morning my 5 month old mini dachshund started throwing up violently. While I know from experience puppies will sometimes vomit, this was particularly concerning because of how bad it was.

Coincidentally, he had a vet visit scheduled the very same morning for a rabies shot. Of course, because he was under the weather, he did not get the shot. They couldn't confirm what was going on but they provided some medicine for nausea.

Once I brought him home, he seemed a bit more himself. I let him and his brother out on the deck (we live on the second floor of an apartment). About a minute in, I noticed he was very attentive to something on the floor. I called him over and he brought an empty packet. Immediately, I saw that it was rodenticide.

From there, I contacted the vet and rushed him to the animal hospital. Luckily, it was a poison that had an antidote and they treated him.

He's doing much better now, though he has to be medicated over the next month.

While in the waiting room, I wondered who could have placed that packet on the 2nd floor deck. It had to be one of three options: 1. maintenance put it there. 2. someone from the ground threw it onto the deck, or 3. the 3rd floor neighbors dropped it through the space on their deck.

Because of my history with the upstairs neighbors (its a family), I was leaning towards the third option. They would make a LOT of noise, especially a couple years ago. It would sound like they were dropping heavy furniture on the floor. It got bad enough that I knocked on their door and asked them to keep it down. The dad did not respond well and the banging continued, so I contacted the office about it. Ever since then, we're certain they are the ones who have vandalized my wife's car. They've spit on it, spread food/sauce on it, and even vomited on it.

To be sure, I checked with the complex office to see if they use rodenticide packets. They confirmed they did not. They only use a spray.

So now it's just option 2 and 3. It's possible someone else threw the packet onto the deck from the ground, but very unlikely. Since we have netting on the deck it would have to be a pretty good throw. So we're 98% sure it was the psychotic neighbors upstairs.

We considered filing a complaint with the police, but my wife is worried word would get back to these psychos and things would get worse. Additionally, there's not much they can do without solid evidence. We will likely file one when we move so they cannot retaliate against us.

But right now we're frikkin' pissed. :mad:

20231112_115418 (1).jpg

^The little buddy on the left was the one poisoned.

That is terrible! Put a camera on your deck. They're cheap and if it happens again you'll have evidence.

Lots of cops (and judges) have dogs and they'd take great joy in ****ing up this guy's day.

Either keep your dogs indoors except when you can guard them or move. They are too precious to risk. If they were mine, I think I might file a complaint and move at the same time. Actually move first to keep my dogs safe. The neighbors deserve the worst punishment, but your precious, beautiful babies cannot be allowed to pay the price of being tortured and murdered-as your neighbors will find a way to do to do them-because you stood up to them.

I am so sorry. I cannot tell you how angry I am on your behalf.

Yeah. I'd go with the camera. The next time you see a packet come down from above...you have your evidence.

That is terrible! Put a camera on your deck. They're cheap and if it happens again you'll have evidence.

Lots of cops (and judges) have dogs and they'd take great joy in ****ing up this guy's day.
It's too risky, Allan. He cannot leave the dogs on the deck unguarded again.

Just curious. Is there more to the story? Why attack your dogs? Are they noisy? I've had similar instances with people who are not very good neighbors, they are loud, create trouble in the neighborhood, invade others space. Sounds like they may have been that way but usually they respond against the human adult neighbors, often with some violence. Just wondering if the dogs bark alot when outside on the deck? Maybe that sparked the attack on the dogs.

1704314343338.jpeg

In all seriousness as has been suggested a camera is probably the best option. But seeing the picture of your little puppy and reading your post is just horrible. I'm glad you and your dogs are safe for now but if your neighbors were really willing to do that to your puppy who knows what else they are willing to do. Until you can move it could be prudent to invest in some kind of home security and at least carry pepper spray around.

Geoist, I'm so so sorry you had to go through this. I agree with Allan, a security camera is the best idea, but if it were my dogs, I would definitely file a police report. You never know, these horrible people could have a history of tormenting their neighbors. Guard those precious babies! I hope you are able to move to a friendlier complex! Best of luck to you two and those beautiful pups!

No. You need to move. NOW.

In all seriousness, lawyers are our only protection against the government and our fellow two-legged animals.

(I never liked Shakespeare. But I read somewhere that his famous line about doing harm to lawyers was actually said by a bad character who -- of course -- did not like lawyers.)

To elaborate on this, if you have an inactive cell phone you can download apps that will allow it to be used as a security camera. Alfred is one I have used.

So wife and I had a stressful couple of days last week. On Friday morning my 5 month old mini dachshund started throwing up violently. While I know from experience puppies will sometimes vomit, this was particularly concerning because of how bad it was.

Coincidentally, he had a vet visit scheduled the very same morning for a rabies shot. Of course, because he was under the weather, he did not get the shot. They couldn't confirm what was going on but they provided some medicine for nausea.

Once I brought him home, he seemed a bit more himself. I let him and his brother out on the deck (we live on the second floor of an apartment). About a minute in, I noticed he was very attentive to something on the floor. I called him over and he brought an empty packet. Immediately, I saw that it was rodenticide.

From there, I contacted the vet and rushed him to the animal hospital. Luckily, it was a poison that had an antidote and they treated him.

He's doing much better now, though he has to be medicated over the next month.

While in the waiting room, I wondered who could have placed that packet on the 2nd floor deck. It had to be one of three options: 1. maintenance put it there. 2. someone from the ground threw it onto the deck, or 3. the 3rd floor neighbors dropped it through the space on their deck.

Because of my history with the upstairs neighbors (its a family), I was leaning towards the third option. They would make a LOT of noise, especially a couple years ago. It would sound like they were dropping heavy furniture on the floor. It got bad enough that I knocked on their door and asked them to keep it down. The dad did not respond well and the banging continued, so I contacted the office about it. Ever since then, we're certain they are the ones who have vandalized my wife's car. They've spit on it, spread food/sauce on it, and even vomited on it.

To be sure, I checked with the complex office to see if they use rodenticide packets. They confirmed they did not. They only use a spray.

So now it's just option 2 and 3. It's possible someone else threw the packet onto the deck from the ground, but very unlikely. Since we have netting on the deck it would have to be a pretty good throw. So we're 98% sure it was the psychotic neighbors upstairs.

We considered filing a complaint with the police, but my wife is worried word would get back to these psychos and things would get worse. Additionally, there's not much they can do without solid evidence. We will likely file one when we move so they cannot retaliate against us.

But right now we're frikkin' pissed. :mad:

View attachment 67485513

Glad they are okay. Just lost my buddy on Christmas Eve. I was away all day and when I got home she wasn't there. All the doors were still closed but when I called the police they said a dog matching her description had gotten hit by a car. She was taken to the emergency vet by the local shelter and was paralyzed from the accident. Had no choice but to put her down because of her age. Give those two a precious hug for me and be thankful for every day you have with them. Best of luck. ☮️

In all seriousness, lawyers are our only protection against the government and our fellow two-legged animals.
Close, but I'd give credit to judges.

Glad they are okay. Just lost my buddy on Christmas Eve. I was away all day and when I got home she wasn't there. All the doors were still closed but when I called the police they said a dog matching her description had gotten hit by a car. She was taken to the emergency vet by the local shelter and was paralyzed from the accident. Had no choice but to put her down because of her age. Give those two a precious hug for me and be thankful for every day you have with them. Best of luck. ☮️
Sorry Poppopfox 😔

Back
Top Bottom