• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Nearly correct – “Muslims built the fabric of our nation”

ChezC3

Relentless Thinking Fury
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Mr. Obama says this frequently – “Muslims built the very fabric of our nation.” He made the remark again just the other day.

That may well be true, but in the future, not the past or the present. Obviously he is thinking ahead.

Many of us share the hope and the promise when all this animosity will end and in the words of Micah:

“Each of us will sit under our vine and fig tree, and none shall make us afraid.”

Amen to that, but so far it’s been the Christians and the Jews who have made America exceptional and great. That’s why we’re called a Judeo/Christian nation. So a good word from the President as to that would be most welcome. The Christian contribution is well documented in all the books.

The Jewish contribution to our culture and to Western Civilization could also use a kindly reminder. Jews make up 0.2 percent of the world’s population; Muslims 23 percent. But we are still waiting for the first Muslim Einstein, today’s Jonas Salk or the next George and Ira Gershwin.

Nearly correct – “Muslims built the fabric of our nation� - Op-Eds - Arutz Sheva

Obama isn't the first to resort to historical revisionism to further his propaganda, but as the case with revisionists, his claims are easily refutable.

Entirely incorrect. People built the fabric of our nation, and every nation. Ideology and religion didn't do a thing.

Nearly correct – “Muslims built the fabric of our nation� - Op-Eds - Arutz Sheva

Obama isn't the first to resort to historical revisionism to further his propaganda, but as the case with revisionists, his claims are easily refutable.

"In the United States, Eid also reminds us of the many achievements and contributions of Muslim Americans to building the very fabric of our nation and strengthening the core of our democracy. That is why we stand with people of all faiths, here at home and around the world, to protect and advance their rights to prosper, and we welcome their commitment to giving back to their communities. "
Obama: 'Muslims Built the Very Fabric of Our Nation' : snopes.com

I can't really imagine what Obama was referring to when he said that. Our culture was mainly English, our government was based on Greece and European philosophers, and I'm fairly certain we have never had a large Muslim presence in the US.

There have been many notable Muslims like Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi, one of the fathers algebra and it is because of him we have decimals. He is one of many famous Muslim scholars.

I can't really imagine what Obama was referring to when he said that. Our culture was mainly English, our government was based on Greece and European philosophers, and I'm fairly certain we have never had a large Muslim presence in the US.

1.)Thats not what he said
2.)The actual correct statement was made during a celebration of Eid-al-Fitr

1.)Thats not what he said
2.)The actual correct statement was made during a celebration of Eid-al-Fitr

Yes, I read so in your link. I had already had serious misgivings about the OP's link in the beginning, but I tend to read through a source to the part that was quoted, then post my immediate thoughts before finishing.

There have been many notable Muslims like Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi, one of the fathers algebra and it is because of him we have decimals. He is one of many famous Muslim scholars.

History

Many ancient cultures calculated with numerals based on ten: Egyptian hieroglyphs, in evidence since around 3000 BC, used a purely decimal system,[12][13] just as the Cretan hieroglyphs (ca. 1625−1500 BC) of the Minoans whose numerals are closely based on the Egyptian model.[14][15] The decimal system was handed down to the consecutive Bronze Age cultures of Greece, including Linear A (ca. 18th century BC−1450 BC) and Linear B (ca. 1375−1200 BC) — the number system of classical Greece also used powers of ten, including, like the Roman numerals did, an intermediate base of 5.[16] Notably, the polymath Archimedes (ca. 287–212 BC) invented a decimal positional system in his Sand Reckoner which was based on 108[16] and later led the German mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss to lament what heights science would have already reached in his days if Archimedes had fully realized the potential of his ingenious discovery.[17] The Hittites hieroglyphs (since 15th century BC), just like the Egyptian and early numerals in Greece, was strictly decimal.[18]

The Egyptian hieratic numerals, the Greek alphabet numerals, the Hebrew alphabet numerals, the Roman numerals, the Chinese numerals and early Indian Brahmi numerals are all non-positional decimal systems, and required large numbers of symbols. For instance, Egyptian numerals used different symbols for 10, 20, to 90, 100, 200, to 900, 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, to 10,000.[19] The world's earliest positional decimal system was the Chinese rod calculus[20]

Another fallacy. I see his name nowhere. Maybe you can site a source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal

Another fallacy. I see his name nowhere. Maybe you can site a source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal

From Wikipedia:
In the 12th century, Latin translations of his work on the Indian numerals introduced the decimal positional number system to the Western world.[4] Al-Khwārizmī's The Compendious Book on Calculation by Completion and Balancing presented the first systematic solution of linear and quadratic equations in Arabic. He is often considered one of the fathers of algebra.[5][6] He revised Ptolemy's Geography and wrote on astronomy and astrology.

The Muslims did not invent algebra.

They did not invent everything but they contributed significant parts of it. That was not their only accomplishment, they also made advances in medicine, literature, etc.

You know these things: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0. Guess where they are form.

Last edited:
Well this op-ed seems like a giant dick measuring contest on whose religion is "better"...

1.)Obama did not say that

2.)Lets go through the article..

But we are still waiting for the first Muslim Einstein today’s Jonas Salk
Does he mean smart people who are Muslims? Well take your pick: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Muslim_scientists

or the next George and Ira Gershwin.
Successful musicians?
Cat Stevens and Ice Cube come to mind...
Ahmad Jamal famous jazz pianists. Ahmet Ertegun founder of Atlantic Records.

We await our Muslim neighbors to chip in.
They already have.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_Muslims

Muslims have won 7 Nobel Prizes.
Actually its 8

We await the next Muslim Rickover. Hyman (Chaim) Rickover is recognized as “The Father of the Nuclear Navy.”
How about Abdus Salam?

Throughout the land there are Muslim clinics, but no Muslim hospitals. Jewish hospitals number nearly 100, serving all.
Okay? I guess health clinics just arent good enough now?

Rabbi Abraham Heschel linked arms and marched with Martin Luther King. We see no imams in the picture – nor as yet in the big picture of America.
MLK with some muslims
2n668gi.jpg

2lldrgm.jpg

They did not invent everything but they contributed significant parts of it. That was not their only accomplishment, they also made advances in medicine, literature, etc.

You know these things: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0. Guess where they are form.

They stopped contributing anything meaningful, once they began their conquest of Caliphate. They would be stuck with the abacus if the world didn't drag them along.

Back when Islam wasn't anti-enlightenment, sure. But it's been a long time since then. And none of that has anything at all to do with the building of America.

Back when Islam wasn't anti-enlightenment, sure. But it's been a long time since then. And none of that has anything at all to do with the building of America.

I wonder what Farouk El-Baz and Aziz Sancar have to say to that?

I stand corrected. But Muslims actually invented very little.

Einstein did not invent anything either but instead he just contributed significantly to his field.

Because he didn't say that -- not exactly. See TDS' post right above yours. The entire premise of the thread is based on a lie.

They're both at least 2 centuries too late to have built our nation.

Which is irrelevant, since Obama didn't say they "built our nation." He said they contributed to "building the fabric of our nation," which is significantly different.

Which is irrelevant, since Obama didn't say they "built our nation." He said they contributed to "building the fabric of our nation," which is significantly different.

Then *EVERY* group built the fabric of our nation because you can find some person of pretty much every social, ethnic, religious or any other kind of group who did something of note somewhere, sometime. It makes the whole argument entirely pointless.

Then *EVERY* group built the fabric of our nation because you can find some person of pretty much every social, ethnic, religious or any other kind of group who did something of note somewhere, sometime.

Quite true.

The mangled, truncated, incorrect quote in the OP gets dragged out every so often by Muslim-haters, but it was specifically brought up at the end of Ramadan as part of the usual tribute ethnic and religious groups receive during their holy days or festivals. It's not like he just dropped this out of the blue.

It makes the whole argument entirely pointless.

The whole argument IS entirely pointless. Tell that to the OP and others who are butthurt that Obama might acknowledge the contributions of Muslim-Americans.

Back
Top Bottom