• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nearly 40% of Gen Zs identify as LGBTQ

Even if its just 20%, that is an exceptionally high number. It seems your point is that 40% would be a big deal but 20% of a generation having trouble dating and forming romantic relationships is not a problem.

First it was 40%. Now it's 20%.

And at what point do LGBT folks have trouble dating and forming romantic relationships?

When did I argue that? In fact, I pointed out that its not an issue for gay people as gay people want to date other gay people.

Here is the problem. Gay men typically don't want a long term romantic relationship with bisexual men. Women statistically are not willing to date bisexual men. Bisexual men, often want to date women even though they have some level of sexual attraction to their own sex. The same is even more the case with pansexuals and gender fluid people. So that is the problem. If you all of a sudden have huge numbers of people identifying as a B or Q, those people just like anyone else will want romantic relationships - the problem is that there are not enough people willing to date and build romantic relationships with those that identify as B or Q as there are people that are now identifying as B or Q.

Let's say in a society than 10 million people identify as B or Q (the number is certainly higher), but only 5 million people are willing to date someone that is B or Q, you don't see that as a problem for them?
Nope.... I really don't.

There is a huge difference in prior generations. You didn't have between 2 and 4 in 10 identifying as B or Q (LGBTQ). This generation is having sex and dating far less than previous generations, there is a reason for that.
So?

I don’t understand what the issue is.

Let’s say you are correct and they’re having sex less and dating less.

Why does that matter in any significant way?

First it was 40%. Now it's 20%.

And at what point do LGBT folks have trouble dating and forming romantic relationships?
Gay and lesbian people don't have trouble at all. If you are gay or lesbian, then other gay or lesbian people are willing to date you. The problem, as I pointed out with links to studies in the opening post, is that the large jump in the number of Gen Zs identifying as Bs and Qs may make it difficult for them all to date and for romantic relationships. Why, because while gay men date other gay men, many gay men are unwilling to form long term romantic relationships with bisexual men. While straight men date women, few are willing to date gender fluid women or pansexual women. While straight women will date straight men, few are willing to date bisexual men, and fewer still are willing to date pansexual or gender fluid men.

So?

I don’t understand what the issue is.

Let’s say you are correct and they’re having sex less and dating less.

Why does that matter in any significant way?
You don't think people want sex and want to date? That is universal to the human condition, not generational.

I think that is kind of the point. We have a generation that thinks they can have it all, but you can't, that is the point. If you are gender fluid, pansexual, or bisexual, and you want to form long term romantic relationships, which most people do, at some point, you may realize you can't have it all, you have to pick a preference and go with it. For example, if you are bisexual and want to marry a woman, than at some point, you are probably going to have to decide that you are going to be functionally heterosexual otherwise you will have a hard time finding someone to date. If you are a gender fluid female but you want to marry or date a man some day, you are going to have to pick the female gender to identify as. This is far from true for everyone, but a significant number of Bs and Qs in Gen Z will end up figuring out they have pick something.
You're repeating yourself. Are you trying to predict something? What have "B's and Q's" been doing up until now?

is 20% really a believable number? sounds like a social trend to me. society can't reproduce itself if 20% of people are actually gay, and multiple generations have succeeded in doing so until now. so yes, we should ask what's going on here.
The biggest threat to reproduction in America right now isn't the LGBTQ community, it's the abortion ban. Nobody wants to become pregnant when it's dangerous and we are removing life-saving measures. The rise in sterilization since the bans will tell you that much. Women tell me daily that this decision for them to have a family in this country is a no. They already could barely afford to do so with a two-family income, and now it's also riskier. Immigration is necessary to grow a country, and we all know how you feel about that.

Republicans have no idea how to encourage population growth in this country, and they seem to naturally prevent it.

this already happens. my generation is ****ed because of it, and Gen Z has it worse
It's always been this way and you've been fine. You just don't want to know who these people are. The only thing that's spread is awareness.

They just think relationships are more about the other person than the sex of the other person.

This seems very high to me. None of us know what it is like to be someone else, so when someone identifies somewhere on the LGBTQ spectrum, we should accept it. However, when you have a generation that identifies as LGBTQ at this high of a rate, that just seems really high and you have to think that some of it may be more social trend than actual sexual and/or gender identification.

I don't think such high rates of LGBTQ identification serves Generation Z well in terms of dating and relationships. This is evidenced by the fact that they both have sex less than other generations and are less apt to be in relationships than other generations. https://www.gq.com/story/gen-z-puriteens

What follows is my personal opinion, but I think its backed pretty well by real world experience and some studies: There is a percentage of the population that is willing to enter serious relationships with someone that is bisexual, pansexual, polysexual and so on, however, it is not anywhere near 40% of the population and I very much doubt it is even 40% of the Gen Z population. As the vast majority of people instinctively want romantic relationships, this is a societal problem.

For example, a majority of women would not consider dating a bisexual man and even bisexual women are less attracted to bisexual men: https://bi.org/en/articles/bi-men-are-not-considered-attractive-new-study-says

Now think about it, if a solid majority of women would not date a bisexual man, what percentage do you think would date a pansexual man, or a gender fluid man? I think we can safely say that number is likely much, much lower. People tend to want clarity in relationships. Long term relationships are difficult to begin with as one has to consider the wants and needs of another person. This is why people, right or wrong, tend to want simplicity in relationships. If you throw in something like gender fluid or pansexuality into a relationship, the emotional complexities of that relationship seemingly grow exponentially, which likely is why they are considered "less attractive", for relationships. I would suspect one could find studies where this was the case in same sex relationships as well. Ask many gay men to describe their perfect man, and likely he will be the stereotypical "perfect man". Ask most women to describe their perfect man, and he will likely be a handsome man's man that treats them as equals and contributes equally around the house and in the raising of their children. Ask most men to describe their perfect woman, and while she might be petite or really curvy, she will be feminine in either case.

My point is that regardless of what one thinks of such high numbers of Gen Z identifying as LGBTQ, it will likely lead to a lot of challenges for many of them in forming long term romantic relationships.

I am curious what others think, and please do not turn this into an LGBTQ bash thread. That is not my intention at all.
Hmm im curious how a high number would hurt someone’s ability to form long term relationships?

You honestly think that a generation all of a sudden having off the charts identification as pansexual, gender fluid and so on is simply due to social acceptance, that we would have seen the same thing throughout human history if it would have been socially acceptable?

Two things can be true, you can have higher identification as the Q part of LGBTQ due to higher social acceptance and due to it being trendy in a generation.
To say that that is just trendy is…. Really not understanding people’s experiences…. In fact it will lead to people not believing others when they are telling the truth. You cant convert out nor convert into any of those categories. You just are.

Barna produced the 124-page study in conjunction with the Cultural Research Center at Arizona Christian University and Foundations of Freedom, a non-profit entity that promotes traditional American values.

Biiig ooofh…. Yeah….. no…

Humans almost universally instinctually want romantic relationships. That is a psychological need that the vast majority of people have. You don't see an issue with large numbers of a generation may not be able to meet that need?
Is it romantic relationships or sex? You can have a romantic relationship without caring much for the dirty work :p.

Gay and lesbian people don't have trouble at all. If you are gay or lesbian, then other gay or lesbian people are willing to date you. The problem, as I pointed out with links to studies in the opening post, is that the large jump in the number of Gen Zs identifying as Bs and Qs may make it difficult for them all to date and for romantic relationships. Why, because while gay men date other gay men, many gay men are unwilling to form long term romantic relationships with bisexual men. While straight men date women, few are willing to date gender fluid women or pansexual women. While straight women will date straight men, few are willing to date bisexual men, and fewer still are willing to date pansexual or gender fluid men.
The poll in question is highly flawed.

I like blonds and redheads. I married a blond.

You are arguing that I could not give up redheads for the blond I married, basically.

You're repeating yourself. Are you trying to predict something? What have "B's and Q's" been doing up until now?
I am repeating myself because someone was arguing a straw man. Bs and Qs have been a much smaller percentage of the population until now. Example, lets say 3% of the population used to openly identify as B or Q, that number wasn't high enough for there not to be to few people willing to date them. When you get up around 20%, or higher as some estimates now show, then that is an issue because there are not that many men and women willing to date someone that is B or Q, so some of them are going to have a hard time forming romantic relationships - and that is what we are seeing, Gen Z is the least apt to have sex or date than any generation in anyone's lifetime.

I like blonds and redheads. I married a blond.

You are arguing that I could not give up redheads for the blond I married, basically.
Do you honestly think that a preference for hair color is the same as a sexual preference or gender identity? Come on.

To say that that is just trendy is…. Really not understanding people’s experiences…. In fact it will lead to people not believing others when they are telling the truth. You cant convert out nor convert into any of those categories. You just are.
I never argued that it is just trendy, in fact I pointed out in the opening post that you have to accept what people tell you they are as none of us have any idea what it is to be someone else. However, two things can be true. More people can come out as B and Q because it is socially acceptable to, and more people can come out as B or Q because it is a trend.

You are making the kind of argument that bigots made against gays all the time, that it was choice and no different than preferring blondes to brunettes.

Is it romantic relationships or sex? You can have a romantic relationship without caring much for the dirty work :p.
Very true, but most people still want romantic relationships as well at some point. Gen Z is getting less of both sex and romantic relationships.

You are making the kind of argument that bigots made against gays all the time, that it was choice and no different than preferring blondes to brunettes.

Except that's bullshit. At no time did I *decide* that I was attracted to redheads and blonds.

I just was.

Please attempt to be more honest.

Except that's bullshit. At no time did I *decide* that I was attracted to redheads and blonds.

I just was.

Please attempt to be more honest.
It is a flawed comparison. How many people live their whole life as a lie because society pushed them to date a brunette rather than a blonde? It is a trait you like, not a sexual preference like homosexuality or bisexuality. If you married a brunette, your experience would not be the same as a lesbian woman that married a man out of social pressure or family pressure.

Your anecdotal experience aside, 1 in 5 is 20%. But, I'm thinking the more societies stigmas concerning homosexuality lessen, the more folks are going to feel comfortable admitting it. But, who knows, maybe 40% is shorting the actual numbers.

More than likely at the high school level it is more about being trendy rather than being truly being LGBTG

Back
Top Bottom