• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nearly 40% of Gen Zs identify as LGBTQ

This seems very high to me. None of us know what it is like to be someone else, so when someone identifies somewhere on the LGBTQ spectrum, we should accept it. However, when you have a generation that identifies as LGBTQ at this high of a rate, that just seems really high and you have to think that some of it may be more social trend than actual sexual and/or gender identification.

Seems to me it's more a social acceptance rather than a social trend. This generation is not as fearful to admit to it's sexuality.

We all have male and female chromosomes. In truth we all fall somewhere between male and female.

Seems to me it's more a social acceptance rather than a social trend. This generation is not as fearful to admit to it's sexuality.

We all have male and female chromosomes. In truth we all fall somewhere between male and female.
You honestly think that a generation all of a sudden having off the charts identification as pansexual, gender fluid and so on is simply due to social acceptance, that we would have seen the same thing throughout human history if it would have been socially acceptable?

Two things can be true, you can have higher identification as the Q part of LGBTQ due to higher social acceptance and due to it being trendy in a generation.

is 20% really a believable number? sounds like a social trend to me. society can't reproduce itself if 20% of people are actually gay, and multiple generations have succeeded in doing so until now. so yes, we should ask what's going on here.
Sexual desire is a spectrum. I've posted some material below so you can read up on it.

The poll question was:

"Thinking about your commitments, would you describe yourself as ...."

"Searching for purpose in your life,"
"Believe all religious faiths are of equal value."
"An American patriot"
"Often feel anxious, depressed or unsafe"
"Deeply committed to practicing your faith."
"LGBTQ"

It's a bad question. I don't even know what the question wants. Based on my 'commitments' I'm searching for a purpose? I would describe myself as, "believe all religious faiths are of equal value? Those responses don't make any sense. Thinking about my commitments" would I describe myself as LGBT? Are they asking if I am LGBT or that one of my commitments is to LGBT persons?

Garbage in, garbage out.
Yeah, that poll sucks.

No one seems to be addressing the point of the thread, that men and women are not lining up to date those identifying as a Bs and Qs portion of LGBTQ, and this is a problem for this generation.

Even if the number is closer to 20% rather than 40%, that is still 1 in 5 people.

LGBTQ includes a lot more than just homosexuality. If you have higher numbers identifying as gay, that really isn't an issue in terms or relationship formation as gay people date other gay people. I think it's more of an issue for those identifying as the B and Q parts of LGBTQ.
Allow me to rephrase that for you: Your anecdotal experience aside, 1 in 5 is 20%. But, I'm thinking the more societies stigmas concerning lgbtq lessen, the more folks are going to feel comfortable admitting it. But, who knows, maybe 40% is shorting the actual numbers.....

men and women are not lining up to date those identifying as a Bs and Qs portion of LGBTQ, and this is a problem for this generation.
IMHO, All that has changed is the lessening of the social stigma against being LGBTQ which has led to more people feeling comfortable enough to openly admit it. I think the human race will survive.

Allow me to rephrase that for you: Your anecdotal experience aside, 1 in 5 is 20%. But, I'm thinking the more societies stigmas concerning lgbtq lessen, the more folks are going to feel comfortable admitting it. But, who knows, maybe 40% is shorting the actual numbers.....
Okay, lets say its 1 in 5, with the vast majority of the gains coming from those identifying as Bs and Qs, do you think that changes the points laid out in the opening post? You still have the problem that a solid majority of women are unwilling to date a man identifying as bisexual, and even lower numbers are willing to date someone gender fluid or pansexual.

The kids I know, it seems to be "trendy".

But I don't know, they are just kids who look things up on the internet to self diagnose. They think they know it all these days and need to get off my lawn.
Yeah. I was talking to a friend's teenage kid a while back and she mentioned that more than half the kids in her class identified as something other than straight. When I asked if that was more reality or more attention seeking they just grinned and said they figured the vast majority of it was attention seeking or acceptance seeking.

There is so much hostility coming from the gay rights side that a lot of people, seeking to avoid conflict, make public claims that aren't 100% in line with their private lives.

Okay, lets say its 1 in 5, with the vast majority of the gains coming from those identifying as Bs and Qs, do you think that changes the points laid out in the opening post? You still have the problem that a solid majority of women are unwilling to date a man identifying as bisexual, and even lower numbers are willing to date someone gender fluid or pansexual.
Is it your claim that all these folks identifying as LGBTQ is going to be detrimental to man's survival?

I didn't just quote Newsweek. Even if you cast aside their number, other studies/polls put it at 20% or more for Gen Z, which is much higher than previous generations.

So.

Your original source cites double what the other sources have.

Is it your claim that all these folks identifying as LGBTQ is going to be detrimental to man's survival?
Of course not, and I never said that in the opening post either. My point is that most people instinctually want a romantic relationship - at some point, gay or straight, we all want to pair up with someone and build a relationship. When you have a large percentage of a generation identifying as a B or Q (whether it is 20% or 40% really doesn't matter that is a lot of people either way), and that identification of B or Q makes them much less appealing to date and form romantic relationships by most people (right or wrong, that is the case), then that is a problem.

Of course not, and I never said that in the opening post either. My point is that most people instinctually want a romantic relationship - at some point, gay or straight, we all want to pair up with someone and build a relationship. When you have a large percentage of a generation identifying as a B or Q (whether it is 20% or 40% really doesn't matter that is a lot of people either way), and that identification of B or Q makes them much less appealing to date and form romantic relationships by most people (right or wrong, that is the case), then that is a problem.
What's the problem?

So.

Your original source cites double what the other sources have.
Even if its just 20%, that is an exceptionally high number. It seems your point is that 40% would be a big deal but 20% of a generation having trouble dating and forming romantic relationships is not a problem.

What's the problem?
Humans almost universally instinctually want romantic relationships. That is a psychological need that the vast majority of people have. You don't see an issue with large numbers of a generation may not be able to meet that need?

Even if its just 20%, that is an exceptionally high number. It seems your point is that 40% would be a big deal but 20% of a generation having trouble dating and forming romantic relationships is not a problem.
Oh, so you believe that LGBTQ folks don't form romantic relationships? I'm sorry, but there's no evidence of this.

No one seems to be addressing the point of the thread, that men and women are not lining up to date those identifying as a Bs and Qs portion of LGBTQ, and this is a problem for this generation.

Even if the number is closer to 20% rather than 40%, that is still 1 in 5 people.
Why is it a problem?

They won’t date. 🤷‍♀️

So they’ll either change their behavior to be more attractive to those they want to date…or they won’t date.

Humans almost universally instinctually want romantic relationships. That is a psychological need that the vast majority of people have. You don't see an issue with large numbers of a generation may not be able to meet that need?
LGBTQ folks are just like everyone else. The same needs and wants and desires. Where did you ever get the idea they were so different from straight folks?

Oh, so you believe that LGBTQ folks don't form romantic relationships? I'm sorry, but there's no evidence of this.

When did I argue that? In fact, I pointed out that its not an issue for gay people as gay people want to date other gay people.

Here is the problem. Gay men typically don't want a long term romantic relationship with bisexual men. Women statistically are not willing to date bisexual men. Bisexual men, often want to date women even though they have some level of sexual attraction to their own sex. The same is even more the case with pansexuals and gender fluid people. So that is the problem. If you all of a sudden have huge numbers of people identifying as a B or Q, those people just like anyone else will want romantic relationships - the problem is that there are not enough people willing to date and build romantic relationships with those that identify as B or Q as there are people that are now identifying as B or Q.

Let's say in a society than 10 million people identify as B or Q (the number is certainly higher), but only 5 million people are willing to date someone that is B or Q, you don't see that as a problem for them?

Why is it a problem?

They won’t date. 🤷‍♀️

So they’ll either change their behavior to be more attractive to those they want to date…or they won’t date.
I think that is kind of the point. We have a generation that thinks they can have it all, but you can't, that is the point. If you are gender fluid, pansexual, or bisexual, and you want to form long term romantic relationships, which most people do, at some point, you may realize you can't have it all, you have to pick a preference and go with it. For example, if you are bisexual and want to marry a woman, than at some point, you are probably going to have to decide that you are going to be functionally heterosexual otherwise you will have a hard time finding someone to date. If you are a gender fluid female but you want to marry or date a man some day, you are going to have to pick the female gender to identify as. This is far from true for everyone, but a significant number of Bs and Qs in Gen Z will end up figuring out they have pick something.

LGBTQ folks are just like everyone else. The same needs and wants and desires. Where did you ever get the idea they were so different from straight folks?
Show in the thread where I made that argument. The fact they have the same needs, wants and desires is exactly my point.

I think that is kind of the point. We have a generation that thinks they can have it all, but you can't, that is the point. If you are gender fluid, pansexual, or bisexual, and you want to form long term romantic relationships, which most people do, at some point, you may realize you can't have it all, you have to pick a preference and go with it. For example, if you are bisexual and want to marry a woman, than at some point, you are probably going to have to decide that you are going to be functionally heterosexual otherwise you will have a hard time finding someone to date. If you are a gender fluid female but you want to marry or date a man some day, you are going to have to pick the female gender to identify as. This is far from true for everyone, but a significant number of Bs and Qs in Gen Z will end up figuring out they have pick something.
You mean eventually they will have to “settle down” if they want to be in a long term monogamous relationship?

Well, that’s pretty self explanatory. 🤷‍♀️

I don’t see much difference than in prior generations.

You mean eventually they will have to “settle down” if they want to be in a long term monogamous relationship?

Well, that’s pretty self explanatory. 🤷‍♀️

I don’t see much difference than in prior generations.
There is a huge difference in prior generations. You didn't have between 2 and 4 in 10 identifying as B or Q (LGBTQ). This generation is having sex and dating far less than previous generations, there is a reason for that.

Back
Top Bottom