• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

NBC does it again

Stinger

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Not satisfied that their attempted smearing of Christians with The Book of Daniel NBC has decided to mock the crucifixion of Jesus and even go so far as to do it the night before the Christian observence of Good Friday.

>NBC Offends Christians Again
By Susan Jones
CNSNews.com Senior Editor
February 02, 2006

(CNSNews.com) - A conservative advocacy group accuses NBC of "hitting back" at the Christian community in an upcoming episode of "Will and Grace."<

Seems Britney Spears will play a character in the show

>
When Jack's fictional TV network, Out TV, is bought by a Christian TV network, Spears hosts a cooking segment called "Cruci-fixin's."<

Why is it that Christians are open game but they wouldn't dare denigrate any other religion in such a manner. Do you think we will ever see a show on NBC denigrating the Muslim religion? How about a comedy set in a Concentration Camp?

Stinger said:
Not satisfied that their attempted smearing of Christians with The Book of Daniel NBC has decided to mock the crucifixion of Jesus and even go so far as to do it the night before the Christian observence of Good Friday.

&gt;NBC Offends Christians Again
By Susan Jones
February 02, 2006

(CNSNews.com) - A conservative advocacy group accuses NBC of "hitting back" at the Christian community in an upcoming episode of "Will and Grace."&lt;

&gt;
When Jack's fictional TV network, Out TV, is bought by a Christian TV network, Spears hosts a cooking segment called "Cruci-fixin's."&lt;

Why is it that Christians are open game but they wouldn't dare denigrate any other religion in such a manner. Do you think we will ever see a show on NBC denigrating the Muslim religion? How about a comedy set in a Concentration Camp?

There is a movie coming out by Albert Brooks, "Finding comedy in the Muslim world" I believe is the title. We can't be too sensitive about this, in it's setting, "out t.v" religious groups have been unkind, and intolerant of gays for some time now, if they want to hit back, they have the right. We need to clean our own house, and get rid of the Falwell's, Robertson's, and Baker's that give us all such a bad name. We also need more tolerance in our churches, and organizations, then we can feel we are not being hypocritical.

That said, two wrongs don't make a right, and I think it is in bad taste, and will just divide us further, but neither side will budge as it stands.

Stinger said:
(CNSNews.com) - A conservative advocacy group accuses NBC of "hitting back" at the Christian community in an upcoming episode of "Will and Grace."<

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

So are they offended because it's a show about gays or about Britney Spears?

Deegan said:
There is a movie coming out by Albert Brooks, "Finding comedy in the Muslim world" I believe is the title.
I saw that movie this weekend. P.U. It was horrible. I guess there are some muslims who are offended by the movie and I'm not sure why exactly. Most of it was shot in India and there weren't a whole lot of muslims involved. Just a lot of bad jokes, awkward timings and slow pacing.

As for the Will & Grace show, well, "Crucifixins" was already used on Arrested Development a couple weeks back. The line was:
I think I'm going to go get one of those "Corndog Crosses" - with all
the "Crucifixins"

So, the question is, why didn't the conservative advocacy group get offended and issue a press release for that one?

shuamort said:
I saw that movie this weekend. P.U. It was horrible. I guess there are some muslims who are offended by the movie and I'm not sure why exactly. Most of it was shot in India and there weren't a whole lot of muslims involved. Just a lot of bad jokes, awkward timings and slow pacing.

As for the Will & Grace show, well, "Crucifixins" was already used on Arrested Development a couple weeks back. The line was:
the "Crucifixins"

So, the question is, why didn't the conservative advocacy group get offended and issue a press release for that one?

Maybe they didn't know about that one.

shuamort said:

the "Crucifixins"

That's too bad, I thought it may do some good, to lighten up the mood just a bit, but if it stinks, I suspect that not many will see it.

Stinger said:

>NBC Offends Christians Again
By Susan Jones
February 02, 2006

>
When Jack's fictional TV network, Out TV, is bought by a Christian TV network, Spears hosts a cooking segment called "Cruci-fixin's."<

So how is it that The book of Daniel would have been a mockery of the christian faith? I would've thought the opposite seeing that christianity is so influencial even within broadcast programing.

I'm sorry to ignore so many posts but I just find the title of a cooking show called "cruci-fixins" to be really funny. If someone made fun of me, and made it that funny, I'D let it go.:lol:

jfuh said:
So how is it that The book of Daniel would have been a mockery of the christian faith? I would've thought the opposite seeing that christianity is so influencial even within broadcast programing.

You know, VH-1 censors the name: Jesus Christ. I was watching that show I Love the 80's and someone said on there said "Jesus Christ" at the end on a sentence. And I was offended that VH-1 would censor the Lord's name as if it were the word f**k! So now I refuse to watch VH-1. MTV did something similar, but it was the phrase "ohmigad", which should be writ "Oh my God". It was in a caption at the bottom of the screen because it was hard to understand what she was really saying, so thus the caption was used. But I don't find that as offensive, because how they spelt it was exactly how the girl pronounced it. So I just assume that that was why MTV spelt it the way they did.

Anywho, my point is that Christianity isn't a big influence on every station.

Mikkel said:
I'm sorry to ignore so many posts but I just find the title of a cooking show called "cruci-fixins" to be really funny. If someone made fun of me, and made it that funny, I'D let it go.:lol:

To be crucified is a horribly painful thing to go thru and should not be taken lightly. Crucifying someone was a form of capitol punishment. And Jesus wasn't the only one to have suffered from it. If I had to die today and I could only pick between hanging on a cross or dying on the gladitorial battlefield; I'd would rather be felled in the ring of battle. #1, it's quicker, and #2: it's a more glorious way to go out.

Donkey1499 said:
To be crucified is a horribly painful thing to go thru and should not be taken lightly. Crucifying someone was a form of capitol punishment. And Jesus wasn't the only one to have suffered from it. If I had to die today and I could only pick between hanging on a cross or dying on the gladitorial battlefield; I'd would rather be felled in the ring of battle. #1, it's quicker, and #2: it's a more glorious way to go out.

no doubt. I would too. It's just that 'gladitorial battlefield' isn't the best for puns.

Deegan said:
There is a movie coming out by Albert Brooks, "Finding comedy in the Muslim world" I believe is the title. We can't be too sensitive about this, in it's setting, "out t.v" religious groups have been unkind, and intolerant of gays for some time now, if they want to hit back, they have the right. We need to clean our own house, and get rid of the Falwell's, Robertson's, and Baker's that give us all such a bad name. We also need more tolerance in our churches, and organizations, then we can feel we are not being hypocritical.

That said, two wrongs don't make a right, and I think it is in bad taste, and will just divide us further, but neither side will budge as it stands.

You are dead on with this post.

Might I also add that I applaud NBC for taking a shot back at the idiot preachers that lead these crusades to circumvent the 1st amendment right to free speech. They cant have the theocracy they want, so they try to do an end run around the constitution. Might I also add, no one gets more whiny than a christian group when it comes to offense...and they are typically the most offensive force on the playing field.

Donkey1499 said:
How is gladitorial battlefield a pun? It was more of an example.

gladitorial battlefield ISN'T a pun. 'crici-fixin' is. I by no means find crucifixion funny, but the cooking show pun definitely is.

Donkey1499 said:
You know, VH-1 censors the name: Jesus Christ. I was watching that show I Love the 80's and someone said on there said "Jesus Christ" at the end on a sentence. And I was offended that VH-1 would censor the Lord's name as if it were the word f**k! So now I refuse to watch VH-1. MTV did something similar, but it was the phrase "ohmigad", which should be writ "Oh my God". It was in a caption at the bottom of the screen because it was hard to understand what she was really saying, so thus the caption was used. But I don't find that as offensive, because how they spelt it was exactly how the girl pronounced it. So I just assume that that was why MTV spelt it the way they did.

Anywho, my point is that Christianity isn't a big influence on every station.
Honestly I can understand this, and the opposite view of why Christianity is a big influence on broadcasts.
Ten commandments : Thou shalt not take thy lord's name in vain. Thus most likly the reason for the "editing" of Oh my god, or Jesus Christ.
There are many fundamentalist mega church groups with strong influences on the media that will indeed be "offended" if they hear such uses. Particularily in time slots designated as "family programing time slots".

americanwoman said:
So are they offended because it's a show about gays or about Britney Spears?

The article was quite clear about why.

The episode is being rewritten to exclude the reference to the Cruxificition.

Well, THAT's a relief. The pre-offended people should be breathing easier now. I mean, it was pretty close, they almost had to change the channel.

shuamort said:
Well, THAT's a relief. The pre-offended people should be breathing easier now. I mean, it was pretty close, they almost had to change the channel.

Again why does NBC seem to have it out for Christians and shows no respect for them yet I bet we won't see such an attempt at humor at the expense of Muslim's. The Cruxifiction is the most sacrite event in Christian history.

Stinger said:
Again why does NBC seem to have it out for Christians and shows no respect for them yet I bet we won't see such an attempt at humor at the expense of Muslim's. The Cruxifiction is the most sacrite event in Christian history.
I'm sure for a lot of reasons. The majority of the country is Christian and thusly can relate to humor. (Satire works best when one is familiar with the subject. In other words, are you going to laugh at a joke about a muslim who is late getting to the top of minaret? Most likely not because you won't get the reference).

Another reason might be that Christians won't go crazy and burn down an embassy if you make fun of 'em.

A third reason, the joke's already been done. Yawn. (Once, recently, in Arrested Development and then in the Simpsons where a church ice cream social had "Crucifixins"). So there are two Fox shows, now why is NBC getting singled out here?

A fourth reason, there are Christians out there that not only do this type of humor but also do these types of things not knowing it's humorous too. The good ol' Reverend Fred Phelps and his www.godhatesamerica.com might be a good example.

Fifth, we're living under a government in the US who has some wacky ideas of what a person's belief system should entail:
(Of course, Bush is an idiot in this instance who ignored that Washington, Jefferson, and Lincoln weren't really Christians.)

So the way to win Christians as an audience is to mock their deepest religious beliefs? Doesn't seem to be working so well for them.

Stinger said:
So the way to win Christians as an audience is to mock their deepest religious beliefs? Doesn't seem to be working so well for them.

As a member of a christian family, I think most christians don't take a joke like this as an attack on their religious beliefs. The only people who DO care are the Radical Relgious Right, and unfortunately they always make the most noise. If you asked the average Christian america, I don't think they'd give a crap.

Stinger said:
SATIRE:
Satire is a mode of challenging accepted notions by making them seem ridiculous. It usually occurs only in an age of crisis, when there exists no absolute uniformity but rather two sets of beliefs. Of the two sets of beliefs, one holds sufficient power to suppress open attacks on the established order, but not enough to suppress a veiled attack.

Further, satire is intimately connected with urbanity and cosmopolitanism, and assumes a civilized opponent who is sufficiently sensitive to feel the barbs of wit leveled at him. To hold something up to ridicule presupposes a certain respect for reason, on both sides, to which one can appeal. An Age of Reason, in which everyone accepts the notion that conduct must be reasonable, is, therefore, a general prerequisite for satire.
So yes. The people that are going to be so deeply offended by satire most likely aren't going to be watching Will and Grace due to their heavy use of satire. YMMV.

There is really no need for you to waste time posting the definition of satire, we can stipulate that we all know they are using satire.

Stinger said:
There is really no need for you to waste time posting the definition of satire, we can stipulate that we all know they are using satire.

Come on now, there's no need to repeat, we got it the first time. ;)

As a member of a christian family, I think most christians don't take a joke like this as an attack on their religious beliefs. The only people who DO care are the Radical Relgious Right, and unfortunately they always make the most noise. If you asked the average Christian america, I don't think they'd give a crap.

Back
Top Bottom