• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

My Truly Radical Views: I Am Calling A Revolution To Bring About Equality For ALL!

Troodon Roar

Reaction score
I have truly radical political views. I believe in complete equality for absolutely *everyone*. And by everyone, that is exactly what I mean: *every*one. I believe that every living organism — from bacteria to plants to fungi to all animals to humans — should have equal rights.

Now, you may be thinking that this is impossible or absurd. And I can’t really blame you for thinking that. But I’ll explain how it could be done.

An obvious problem is that we need to eat some living organisms to survive. If all organisms, including plants, have equal rights, what will we eat? Well, this problem is not totally irresoluble. Perhaps in the future, it will be possible to engineer food directly from molecules, without having to kill any living thing. Whether you wanted corn on the cob or a nice juicy steak, it could be engineered for you from scratch, basically, without any living organism being involved or killed in the process.

And what about the implications for our health? If bacteria and viruses are granted full personhood, how will we possibly use vaccines or antibiotics to treat infectious diseases? Well, first of all, as far as it is possible, non-lethal ways to treat diseases caused by these microorganisms will be pursued as much as they can be. And if all else fails, killing these pathogens could be justified as self-defense, as they are trying to harm or kill us, in the same way that killing a human who is trying to harm or kill you can be justified as self-defense.

So what do y’all think? Does anyone here agree with me (I can already guess the probable answer, but hey, never give up hope, right? There could always be one or two out there who do).

If a steak is generated from molecules, like the "replicator" on Star Trek, isn't it still a steak.

You might not be eating part of an animal, but you're eating something that looks like a part of animal, walks like part of an animal and quacks like part of an animal.

I have truly radical political views. I believe in complete equality for absolutely *everyone*. And by everyone, that is exactly what I mean: *every*one. I believe that every living organism — from bacteria to plants to fungi to all animals to humans — should have equal rights.

Now, you may be thinking that this is impossible or absurd. And I can’t really blame you for thinking that. But I’ll explain how it could be done.

An obvious problem is that we need to eat some living organisms to survive. If all organisms, including plants, have equal rights, what will we eat? Well, this problem is not totally irresoluble. Perhaps in the future, it will be possible to engineer food directly from molecules, without having to kill any living thing. Whether you wanted corn on the cob or a nice juicy steak, it could be engineered for you from scratch, basically, without any living organism being involved or killed in the process.

And what about the implications for our health? If bacteria and viruses are granted full personhood, how will we possibly use vaccines or antibiotics to treat infectious diseases? Well, first of all, as far as it is possible, non-lethal ways to treat diseases caused by these microorganisms will be pursued as much as they can be. And if all else fails, killing these pathogens could be justified as self-defense, as they are trying to harm or kill us, in the same way that killing a human who is trying to harm or kill you can be justified as self-defense.

So what do y’all think? Does anyone here agree with me (I can already guess the probable answer, but hey, never give up hope, right? There could always be one or two out there who do).

Hmmm...

Interesting theory.

Perhaps you should go out and proselytize among the various flora and fauna.

I'm sure sharks, wolf packs, and all the other myriad carnivores and omnivores would be won over by your theory. :coffeepap:

Or go the other direction. Kill people as casually as beef or beets or bacteria. All life is equally vulnerable and forfeit. That's equality.

I

Isn’t this rank bigotry against the unliving? You would deny rocks personhood?

An obvious problem is that we need to eat some living organisms to survive.

That's not just a "problem." That's, literally, a fatal flaw in your goal. You don't get to live in a hypothetical future with magic replicators. You have to live in the real world, today.

Are you going to starve yourself to death?

The one food that doesn't involve killing another organism is fruit. Pick an apple, save and plant the seeds, or if you're fanatical about it, wait under the tree for one to fall. Eat the meat. Some people might claim that eating fruit rather than letting it rot on the ground is starving the dirt of its nutrients, but lets be serious...

Back
Top Bottom