• We will be taking the forum down for maintenance at [3:30 PM CDT] - in 25 minutes. We should be down less than 1 hour.
  • This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Most Riot, Looting Cases From Last Year Dropped by NYC DAs

j-mac

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
One year ago, parts of New York City felt out of control as crowds of looters were seen smashing storefront after storefront.

The mayhem continued night after night from late May into June. At one point, there was even a so-called “looting dance party” on the streets of SoHo.

The mobs seemingly pillaged at will. Many were caught on tape, some with their faces visible. Others even posted on social their own videos of their actions those nights.

NYPD data reviewed by the NBC New York I-Team shows 118 arrests were made in the Bronx during the worst of the looting in early June.

Since then, the NYPD says the Bronx DA and the courts have dismissed most of those cases – 73 in all. Eighteen cases remain open and there have been 19 convictions for mostly lesser counts like trespassing, counts which carry no jail time.

Jessica Betancourt owns an eyeglass shop that was looted and destroyed along Burnside Avenue in the Bronx last June.

“Those numbers, to be honest with you, is disgusting,” Betancourt said when told of the few cases being prosecuted.

Betancourt is also vice president of a local merchants association. She says local business leaders are upset few are being held accountable for the destruction they caused.

Thread after thread in here speaks of the Jan 6 rioters, and what their fate should be. I don't think it is too far to say that most liberal progressives in here believe that those involved in the Capitol breech are traitors, and should be jailed, or worse...And some even hold the insane belief that anyone who supported President Trump should be jailed or worse...

Yet, when we see stories like this, there will be justifications, and or complete media silence on the fact that depending on ones political stance is looking like that determines how lady justice will judge your case....
“I was in total shock that everything is being brushed off to the side.”

Placing suspects at the scene of the crime doesn't seem to be a problem when it comes to prosecuting the insurrectionists, as it is with the New York rioters.

Thread after thread in here speaks of the Jan 6 rioters, and what their fate should be. I don't think it is too far to say that most liberal progressives in here believe that those involved in the Capitol breech are traitors, and should be jailed, or worse...And some even hold the insane belief that anyone who supported President Trump should be jailed or worse...

Yet, when we see stories like this, there will be justifications, and or complete media silence on the fact that depending on ones political stance is looking like that determines how lady justice will judge your case....
I know if I were a republican, I would be outraged.

Just read (I think on the Daily Mail website) that the authorities are dropping the looting & rioting cases in order to concentrate on their efforts to nail the Honorable Donald J. Trump on something, even jaywalking if necessary.

As the Dems have told us, Mr. Trump is worse than Messrs. Hitler, Stalin, or Mao.

So the New York authorities want to concentrate on getting that sucker.

Just read (I think on the Daily Mail website) that the authorities are dropping the looting & rioting cases in order to concentrate on their efforts to nail the Honorable Donald J. Trump on something, even jaywalking if necessary.

As the Dems have told us, Mr. Trump is worse than Messrs. Hitler, Stalin, or Mao.

you got one part wrong and one part right:
the wrong - Trump is NOT worse than Hitler, Stalin or Mao - and I wouldn't agree with anyone who says so.
the right - Trump is a sucker

wink_40x40.gif

In parts of the article that you didn’t quote the local DAs noted that many of the cases didn’t go forward because of lack of evidence, and some because of pandemic related backlogs (those would have probably not netted jail time anyway).

So it’s not a matter of being soft on looters as you seem to be implying.

More importantly trying to overthrow the government is just a bit more serious than swiping a Rolex.

The rioters from last year were opportunists unrelated to the Black Lives Matter protests as well as right wing provocateurs, whereas the insurrections were very specifically attacking democracy itself.

They're apples and oranges.

Now this is where you say, "Thank you for your opinion," because apparently you recently got it into your head that this is a brilliant debate rebuttal.

Placing suspects at the scene of the crime doesn't seem to be a problem when it comes to prosecuting the insurrectionists, as it is with the New York rioters.

"Vance told his office, “For many of these commercial burglaries, you will be asked to reduce the initial felony charge to a misdemeanor and to dispose of the case … with an eye towards rehabilitation.”

He also stressed the "continued goal to achieve consistency and equitable treatment in these cases."

A court spokesman says decisions to dismiss cases were primarily made by the district attorneys. “An application must be made by the district attorney or as they have done with hundreds of DATs, decline to prosecute them,” said Lucian Chalfen."

I think the evidence was there, this is virtue signaling from the Bronx, and Manhattan DA's that are politicizing their prosecution for crimes..."Equitable treatment"? What the hell is that?

In parts of the article that you didn’t quote the local DAs noted that many of the cases didn’t go forward because of lack of evidence, and some because of pandemic related backlogs (those would have probably not netted jail time anyway).

More importantly trying to overthrow the government is just a bit more serious than swiping a Rolex.

Well, as long as we have "equitable treatment", right?

You need better sources.

The Manhattan County DA is looking into Trump so that reasoning doesn’t apply in the Bronx.

As for Manhattan - they are investigating Trump but do you really think they can’t handle that and the looters - which would likely be handled by conpletely different departments within the office?

Oh, it absolutely IS being light on those rioting for causes that are in the "popular culture" today....Cy Vance, the Manhattan DA who is obsessed with going after the former President, is the same one who made a statement saying that these rioters had to recieve "equitable treatment" in a memo to prosecutors in his charge....

And there was NO concerted effort to "overthrow" the government, as much as your hyperbolic rhetoric claims...We should have "equal justice under the law" and this smacks of something else...

If these DA's can't handle the load of cases, then maybe they're in the wrong job...

The rioters from last year were opportunists unrelated to the Black Lives Matter protests as well as right wing provocateurs, whereas the insurrections were very specifically attacking democracy itself.

They're apples and oranges.

Now this is where you say, "Thank you for your opinion," because apparently you recently got it into your head that this is a brilliant debate rebuttal.

It's smarter than trying to engage nonsense that has no end....You want to believe that, you are entitled to...I, on the other hand, don't, and I don't have to....And that irks you.

It's smarter than trying to engage nonsense that has no end....You want to believe that, you are entitled to...I, on the other hand, don't, and I don't have to....And that irks you.
Thank you for your opinion.

Oh, it absolutely IS being light on those rioting for causes that are in the "popular culture" today....Cy Vance, the Manhattan DA who is obsessed with going after the former President, is the same one who made a statement saying that these rioters had to recieve "equitable treatment" in a memo to prosecutors in his charge....

And there was NO concerted effort to "overthrow" the government, as much as your hyperbolic rhetoric claims...We should have "equal justice under the law" and this smacks of something else...

If these DA's can't handle the load of cases, then maybe they're in the wrong job...

If "Stop the steal" wasn't an effort to overthrow the government, what was it?

Well, as long as we have "equitable treatment", right?

Congress passed very specific laws for what the insurrectionists did on Jan 6th. Why do you suppose they made these laws?

Congress passed very specific laws for what the insurrectionists did on Jan 6th. Why do you suppose they made these laws?

I'd first have to see what laws you are talking about to determine if they fit what these rioters did....But, this really isn't about the Jan 6th events, even though it is an interesting comparison, that's where it ends...With that said do you have any thoughts on why these DA's in NY are turning a blind eye to the destruction and those responsible?

Seems kinda stupid to prosecute cases in which even the prosecutor doesn't think they can present proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

But this thread is about pushing an agenda, not honesty

You need better sources.
Many people (including me) trust the Daily Mail more than the so-called news sources here in the United States, which are nothing more but puppets of the woke Democrats.

I agree, of course, that the Dems have the advantage: MSNBC, CNN, NPR, the three networks, and that rag in New York City and that rag in D.C. all parrot the woke Democratic line.

I'd first have to see what laws you are talking about to determine if they fit what these rioters did....But, this really isn't about the Jan 6th events, even though it is an interesting comparison, that's where it ends...With that said do you have any thoughts on why these DA's in NY are turning a blind eye to the destruction and those responsible?

Congress, many years ago, understood the seriousness of disrupting the proceedings of congress and passed specific laws prohibiting such acts. Despite recent absentia from conservatives, it is a MUCH more serious offense to disrupt congress. Disagree if you want, the laws are already there and federal prosecutors will make felons out of hundreds of the idiots.

Congress, many years ago, understood the seriousness of disrupting the proceedings of congress and passed specific laws prohibiting such acts. Despite recent absentia from conservatives, it is a MUCH more serious offense to disrupt congress. Disagree if you want, the laws are already there and federal prosecutors will make felons out of hundreds of the idiots.

That is for another thread....Do you have any thoughts about why the NY DA's are dropping so many of the cases in their jurisdictions?

That is for another thread....Do you have any thoughts about why the NY DA's are dropping so many of the cases in their jurisdictions?

Your own article explains why.. Don’t expect such treatment for insurrectionists.. The DOJ isn’t playing and I fully support their prosecutions. 150 years ago most of these idiots would have been treated much differently.. They are lucky they live in more forgiving times..

Back
Top Bottom