• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

More and more women are now dying in childbirth, but only in America

Then what's all that tax money doing that's being given to Planned Parenthood, and Medicaid, and the ObamaCare subsidies? /sarcasm

This is disturbing if it's accurate, which is questionable given the source (Vox). If I read the article correctly, the increase is due to women being fat, well, over weight and dying from complications derived from that condition, such as diabetes and heart disease.

In other words, more women are dying at child birth not because there's a lack of nutrition, but rather an over abundance of both nutrition and it's consumption.

More and more American women are fat, unhealthy, and undergoing unnecessary major procedures like C-sections which are inherently more risky than vaginal delivery. They're also waiting until later in life (their thirties and forties, rather than their twenties) to have children, which increases the risk of complications.

The calculus involved here really isn't hard to figure out.

Thirty years ago, cardiovascular diseases accounted for less than 10 percent of all pregnancy-related deaths, but as of 1998 to 2005, CDC researchers noted their increased prevalence as a leading cause of death.

Hmm...I wonder if the diet drug, Fen-phen has anything to do with it.

Hmm...I wonder if the diet drug, Fen-phen has anything to do with it.

Lol, that was taken off the market a long time ago.

More and more American women are fat, unhealthy, and undergoing unnecessary major procedures like C-sections which are inherently more risky than vaginal delivery. They're also waiting until later in life (their thirties and forties, rather than their twenties) to have children, which increases the risk of complications.

The calculus involved here really isn't hard to figure out.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hestat/obesity_adult_11_12/obesity_adult_11_12.pdf

I think that's interesting (content in the link given). "Overweight" women ranks have remained fairly stagnant, rising only a few percentages in the last decade. Obesity is on the rise, though - both men and women rising in tandem, only separated by a margin of 5-8.

Now the number of obese women ranks on par with the number of overweight men.

Sadly - it only matters when women are overweight, and no one cares about men.

--

But what I really see in all of this is:

When there's a 'leading cause of death due to pregnancy complications' - the medical community identifies the areas of great concern, steps up, increases research and improves care, and then reduces those numbers.

And I think that's all this will end in - better medical knowledge and care for those dealing with things like gestational diabetes.

Godammit guys. Stop ****ing fatties!

We seem to be at a point during which men who were once unwanted due to being overweight or obese are finding more available partners in life that want to settle down, marry, and have a family.

Fat guys should stop ****ing?

Guys should stop ****ing?

You can keep repeating it - but no man is going to turn down some ***** out of the potential non-existent concern that she'll end up pregnant. LOL

Seriously, though - I think one thing that's seriously lacking is real science and facts on weight control / loss - means and methods that work. Just a few decades ago women went to a gym to be jiggled to death because women who perspired were unladylike. And these days? The science that's out there about how to lose weight, especially when you start aging, is piss poor. Tests and studies are run by industries selling drugs more than hardcore science with serious facts.

Especially for women who are short, like me - real science for women who are petite doesn't really exist. What is your metabolic rate when you're the height of a child? LOL - Might as well stay home from the gym for all the good it'll do ya.

Aside that - a lot of guys don't like fit women. We're insulted and snarled at . . . so why bother? If you're fat you're fat.

I've been following Vox for awhile, and I don't find their headlines to match heir articles. If anything they are relabeled reprints. IOW, the wrong conclusions are just thrown out there in the title to get traffic.

Reading the headline leads one direction, reading the article leads you in another - looking at the cause of mortality shows death during childbirth to be incidentally caused by other risk factors. Nothing new here: high risk mothers have a high risk of dying in childbirth.

I've been following Vox for awhile, and I don't find their headlines to match heir articles. If anything they are relabeled reprints. IOW, the wrong conclusions are just thrown out there in the title to get traffic.

Reading the headline leads one direction, reading the article leads you in another - looking at the cause of mortality shows death during childbirth to be incidentally caused by other risk factors. Nothing new here: high risk mothers have a high risk of dying in childbirth.

How is the title misleading?

The article explores the statistics in the US and internationally regarding current causes of childbirth related deaths. yes - rates are on the rise only in the US and the article explains why this is the case.

years ago, on this forum, we debated this very topic and back then they had not concluded it was caused to different factors than before. It was very vague. So it's nice to see they've made progress on a scientific and medical level.

Solution - Close all fast food outlets and close Coco-Cola and Pepsi then taxpayer's money can be put to better use

Ain't Spiker said:
How is the title misleading?

Like click bait, it's technically accurate. So you go there thinking there is something new, and it's the same old story - unhealthy people die in childbirth.

Actually, they don't usually due in childbirth but hours or a few days after. So neener, neener! ;)

Like click bait, it's technically accurate. So you go there thinking there is something new, and it's the same old story - unhealthy people die in childbirth.

Actually, they don't usually due in childbirth but hours or a few days after. So neener, neener! ;)

It is new.

Only a few years ago they knew that the number of women dying in childbirth was on the rise - but didn't quite understand why.

Now they've done more research within that time frame and have come up with some solid answers.

You might not realize it, but it's rather new information. And it's rather important women are aware that this is a growing concern. Dying in child birth might not matter to you, but it does matter to women like me who'd much rather NOT.

So what are you going to do? Set a health threshold for pregnancy? People are free to poison themselves and get pregnant.

So what are you going to do? Set a health threshold for pregnancy? People are free to poison themselves and get pregnant.

The point of the thread is obviously to point out how horrible our capitalist peeg medical system is. And how desperately we need single payer. ;)

The point of the thread is obviously to point out how horrible our capitalist peeg medical system is. And how desperately we need single payer. ;)

Single payer might help a little in terms of better access. But it won't help at all unless there is a willingness on the part of people to go in and get care and change their lifestyles. That won't come easy.

Single payer might help a little in terms of better access. But it won't help at all unless there is a willingness on the part of people to go in and get care and change their lifestyles. That won't come easy.

Single payer might provide better access, but it certainly won't improve the quality of healthcare. In fact, it will diminish it.

Single payer might provide better access, but it certainly won't improve the quality of healthcare. In fact, it will diminish it.

Give the devil its due. Single payer is good for treatment of chronic diseases like hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, etc. As long as people are willing to sit in waiting rooms for hours, that is.

Give the devil its due. Single payer is good for treatment of chronic diseases like hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, etc. As long as people are willing to sit in waiting rooms for hours, that is.

The devil is due nothing.

Speaking as a man, and taking into consideration that women have completely isolated men from being part of her pregnancy. I could care less if they are dropping like flies or why. Its none of my buisiness nor is it any of my concern. If they are afraid of dying they should all go F_themselves or keep their legs shut.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

We seem to be at a point during which men who were once unwanted due to being overweight or obese are finding more available partners in life that want to settle down, marry, and have a family.

Fat guys should stop ****ing?

Guys should stop ****ing?

You can keep repeating it - but no man is going to turn down some ***** out of the potential non-existent concern that she'll end up pregnant. LOL
Not only that but if you get tired of her fat ass, knock her up and you got a shot of getting rid of her without losing your shjrt and maybe collecting a little loot from her life insurance policy. This study is good news for the mens movement.

Seriously, though - I think one thing that's seriously lacking is real science and facts on weight control / loss - means and methods that work. Just a few decades ago women went to a gym to be jiggled to death because women who perspired were unladylike. And these days? The science that's out there about how to lose weight, especially when you start aging, is piss poor. Tests and studies are run by industries selling drugs more than hardcore science with serious facts.

Especially for women who are short, like me - real science for women who are petite doesn't really exist. What is your metabolic rate when you're the height of a child? LOL - Might as well stay home from the gym for all the good it'll do ya.

Aside that - a lot of guys don't like fit women. We're insulted and snarled at . . . so why bother? If you're fat you're fat.
Im actually battling the weight that comes with age. Excercise really is not the answer. It treats the sympton not the cause. The answer is in your diet, bot quanity and quality.

1. You have to know how many calories you burn in a day. Myself i burn 2500-3500 on active days and as low as 1500 on seditary days. If i eat more than that im eating too much.

2. Limit your carbs, sugars, and alchol or you end up feeling hungry a lot and it increases your risk for diabetes because of the unstable blood sugar levels.

Do those two things and you dont need to do anything else to maintain a bealthy weight.

I can tell you i have basically cut out eating out completely aling with prepared meals from grocery stores. The portions are generally too large and packed with the wrong nutreints for my body.

Back
Top Bottom