• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mom insisted there was no point in 'putting myself down' after allegedly killing her 3-year-old in botched exorcism

Spunkylama

Requested Profile Delete. Bye
Banned
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
On Tuesday, The Daily Beast reported that a three-year-old girl in California was fatally asphyxiated in a church exorcism gone wrong — and that her mother, now facing criminal charges, has not exactly expressed grief over what happened.

"In a video posted to YouTube on Jan. 27, 2022 and unearthed by The Daily Beast, Claudia Elisia Hernandez Santos, 25, told viewers, 'Like, I could sit here and be negative… be sad about the whole situation that she passed away, but it’s like, there’s no point, you know, because it is what it is. It is what it is. You know, she’s not here with me, it is what it is, you know? And it’s like, what’s the point, you know? I’m just gonna be… putting myself down when there’s no point for me to do that, you know? Like, I cannot change the past,'" reported Justin Rohrlich.

Hernandez now faces a charge of assault on a child with force likely to produce great bodily injury resulting in death.

"The charges against Hernandez can be traced back to Sept. 24, 2021, when Hernandez called police shortly after 8 p.m. to report that her daughter was dead," said the report. "When cops arrived at the Iglesia Apostoles y Profetas church, which is run out of a private home in San Jose, they found little Arely unconscious on the floor, states the affidavit, which was first obtained by the NBC Bay Area Investigative Unit. After attempting 'life-saving measures,' Arely was pronounced dead at an area hospital about 45 minutes later, the affidavit says."

According to the report, autopsy found she had died due to suffocation. Under the observation of the pastor, Arely's maternal grandfather, Hernandez allegedly forced her finger down the child's throat and squeezed her neck in an attempt to induce vomiting, as part of the procedure to expel an evil spirit.

snip

"It is what it is" is a phrase I used at work jokingly when a problem seemed intractable. If only I'd known it was a suitable murder defence...

Sorry about the gallows humour. This is really sad. Obviously the mother is insane and I'd be surprised if she made it to trial.

Why is something like this even allowed and supported by the church?

Mom is crazy...

I do believe that Catholic religion does perform, I should say takes money for exorcisms.
That's not a Catholic Church. I don't think the CC sanctions exorcisms any more. Too many screw ups.

That's not a Catholic Church. I don't think the CC sanctions exorcisms any more. Too many screw ups.
I see its an evangelical church. I was unaware they did them. I've been out of the religious loop for 20 plus years.

200w.webp
My goodness!
Well then consider yourself lucky they don't still do exorcisms. Heathen.

On Tuesday, The Daily Beast reported that a three-year-old girl in California was fatally asphyxiated in a church exorcism gone wrong — and that her mother, now facing criminal charges, has not exactly expressed grief over what happened.

"In a video posted to YouTube on Jan. 27, 2022 and unearthed by The Daily Beast, Claudia Elisia Hernandez Santos, 25, told viewers, 'Like, I could sit here and be negative… be sad about the whole situation that she passed away, but it’s like, there’s no point, you know, because it is what it is. It is what it is. You know, she’s not here with me, it is what it is, you know? And it’s like, what’s the point, you know? I’m just gonna be… putting myself down when there’s no point for me to do that, you know? Like, I cannot change the past,'" reported Justin Rohrlich.

Hernandez now faces a charge of assault on a child with force likely to produce great bodily injury resulting in death.

"The charges against Hernandez can be traced back to Sept. 24, 2021, when Hernandez called police shortly after 8 p.m. to report that her daughter was dead," said the report. "When cops arrived at the Iglesia Apostoles y Profetas church, which is run out of a private home in San Jose, they found little Arely unconscious on the floor, states the affidavit, which was first obtained by the NBC Bay Area Investigative Unit. After attempting 'life-saving measures,' Arely was pronounced dead at an area hospital about 45 minutes later, the affidavit says."

According to the report, autopsy found she had died due to suffocation. Under the observation of the pastor, Arely's maternal grandfather, Hernandez allegedly forced her finger down the child's throat and squeezed her neck in an attempt to induce vomiting, as part of the procedure to expel an evil spirit.

snip
It boggles the mind that people in this day and age still believe in demonic possessions or exorcism.

Has there been any reporting as to what evidence the poor child showed of being possessed to begin this?

Btw we have a fake priest around here who can probably cast out any demons for you. But sometimes he excommunicates people (@NewfieMom) so there's that. But it is what it is.
Could we have them come in here and weigh in?

snip

Religion rots the brain. There's no protection in the First Amendment that allows people to indoctrinate their children, so we really should start making that illegal.

Think about it...

dc313269747474f03493cc9b42f0b347.jpg

Religion rots the brain. There's no protection in the First Amendment that allows people to indoctrinate their children, so we really should start making that illegal.
Rights not specifically prohibited are ceded. Parents can indoctrinate their children and there are religious protections in the 1st.

Rights not specifically prohibited are ceded. Parents can indoctrinate their children and there are religious protections in the 1st.

The First Amendment doesn't say anything specifically about indoctrinating your children into your religion.

The First Amendment doesn't say anything specifically about indoctrinating your children into your religion.
It doesn't prohibit it. So therefore the right is ceded.

It doesn't prohibit it. So therefore the right is ceded.

Ceded to whom? If you mean to the legislatures of the federal and state governments, then I agree. Which frees them to religious indoctrination of children.

Ceded to whom? If you mean to the legislatures of the federal and state governments, then I agree. Which frees them to religious indoctrination of children.
Ceded to the people. I don't think you understand the Constitution. Just because a 'right' isn't specifically mentioned doesn't mean that right doesn't exist.

Back
Top Bottom