• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Microzoft has kidnapped my PC.

Greetings, PoS. :2wave:

I am so happy to hear that I wasn't the only one this happened to! My computer guy switched me back to Win7! What's going on?
Hi polgara,

Win 10 likes to add stuff into your PC without even asking you anymore. It's just another way for MS to control its own product and you have no say over it. Stick with Win7, there's no real reason why you need to switch to Win10 since the former can do the same things as the latter version.

I was one of the first to welcome our new digital master. "The Powerful One" has smiled on me and gave me something for free!

At first I thought it came from Obama, or Bernie, but nope. Bill Gates himself. But they had to be talking.

It's a great operating system, BTW.

Yea, I think I turned off a lot of the sharing but, I'll let my SiL take a look to see if it can be made more secure.

I use the Chrome browser and it seems to like it.

You should ask your SiL which passes on more personal info...Win10 or Chrome.

Wait they put ads on your 'puter?

I'm on Apple so I really don't understand.

I've been using Win10...on 3 different devices...since the day it was released and I've never seen these ads that people keep talking about.

I came home today to Windows X being installed on my desktop without permission.

Cyberkidnapping

There's a way to stop the harassment that a lot of people who have earlier PC MS Operating Systems. It can wreak havoc on your machine trying to download, it's a huge file.

If you live in a rural area where you have wireless radio type service, or even a satellite service, with limited bandwidth, bad news. Microsoft doesn't offer a thumb drive or even a disc version to load on a computer.

In my case, I live in a rural area. I have a Internet wireless service (radio transmitted). I only have like 3 Mgs down and 1 up. That's terrible for large files or trying to download movies or games. I got so tired of both my laptop and desktop from popping up with the "Get Your Free Copy Now" and catching it trying to download on my computer, I had to call Microsoft to find out how to stop it.

I also have a Mac laptop, but I don't get any messages or attempts to change the OS.

But if anybody wants to know how to stop MS's harassment, let me know, but it does require a small tweak in the Registry. You'd have make a backup copy before making changes and of course...you're own you own if I give you instructions I got from an MS tech.

There's a way to stop the harassment that a lot of people who have earlier PC MS Operating Systems. It can wreak havoc on your machine trying to download, it's a huge file.

If you live in a rural area where you have wireless radio type service, or even a satellite service, with limited bandwidth, bad news. Microsoft doesn't offer a thumb drive or even a disc version to load on a computer.

In my case, I live in a rural area. I have a Internet wireless service (radio transmitted). I only have like 3 Mgs down and 1 up. That's terrible for large files or trying to download movies or games. I got so tired of both my laptop and desktop from popping up with the "Get Your Free Copy Now" and catching it trying to download on my computer, I had to call Microsoft to find out how to stop it.

I also have a Mac laptop, but I don't get any messages or attempts to change the OS.

But if anybody wants to know how to stop MS's harassment, let me know, but it does require a small tweak in the Registry. You'd have make a backup copy before making changes and of course...you're own you own if I give you instructions I got from an MS tech.

For my Mac I did get a notice that there was an update available.

For my Mac I did get a notice that there was an update available.

Yeah, Mac's do that much like iPhones and iPads give notices that there are updates, I haven't yet seen where they are requesting a complete operating system upgrade. PC's are driving people crazy with the entire OS upgrade.

I personally would upgrade if I had windows 8 or 8.1, but I'm staying with 7.

Me too.

I got it to the point where the upgrade installer are still in my windows update file without being loaded. Used the GWX tool so, we'll see if they stay there.

You should ask your SiL which passes on more personal info...Win10 or Chrome.

He said we really can't blame MS because FB, Google, etc. all do it. [telemetry] The Windows program just covers *everything you type.

I've been using Win10...on 3 different devices...since the day it was released and I've never seen these ads that people keep talking about.

It's tracking every key stroke you make.

Do you use an ad blocker?

no thanks on 10, but i appreciate the rest of you early adopters doing a free beta test for me, i'll download it once you're done.

Was it the GWX tool?

no thanks on 10, but i appreciate the rest of you early adopters doing a free beta test for me, i'll download it once you're done.

Don't wait too long, they start charging for it soon, but at least the constant nagging to upgrade free will end.

Was it the GWX tool?

No. There is a Windows Update file that has to be deleted. They all start with something like "KB yadda yadda". In the control panel, under Programs and Features (where you delete unwanted programs) that also contains all MS update files.

And then there are two files in the Registry that has to have values changed from 1 to 0.

That's was about it, WCH.

Don't wait too long, they start charging for it soon, but at least the constant nagging to upgrade free will end.

Manc...some people like me who live in a rural area, stuck with low bandwidth IPSs, it's almost impossible to download. But as I stated in two previous posts there's a way to kill the nagging message to upgrade. And MS doesn't offer the OS upgrade in Disc or Thumb drive form. The file is huge.

No. There is a Windows Update file that has to be deleted. They all start with something like "KB yadda yadda". In the control panel, under Programs and Features (where you delete unwanted programs) that also contains all MS update files.

And then there are two files in the Registry that has to have values changed from 1 to 0.

That's was about it, WCH.

I uninstalled all 3 of those updates and they reloaded when I turned off the PC. (three times) They are waiting in my windows update file. Hopefully they won't update themselves.

After using the GWX tool, the notification and icon are gone.

Download GWX Control Panel - MajorGeeks

I uninstalled all 3 of those updates and they reloaded when I turned off the PC. (three times) They are waiting in my windows update file. Hopefully they won't update themselves.

After using the GWX tool, the notification and icon are gone.

Download GWX Control Panel - MajorGeeks

Well, if it's gone, groovy, but if it pops back up, drop me a PM and I'll share with you the info I got from Microsoft. The only reason they told me how to do it is because of my bandwidth being as limited as it is.

It's not difficult per se, but it's a little bit of work to get to the two specific files in the Registry to change the numerical values. I assume that those turn off the notification. When Microsoft scans your computer for updates, if that one file is present in your Control Panel / Programs and Features, then their system knows you haven't upgraded you OS.

Microsoft needs a swift kick in their digital cojones.

microsoft is pushing 10, because they get income from the ads. If you are on 8 or 8.1, that is not being supported , but 7 will be supported till 2020.

I think Microsoft doesn't want a repeat of their Windows XP experience, where in people were still running that OS 3 or 4 OS releases later (the customer's wouldn't upgrade). This makes supporting the varied OS releases being used by the customers far more expensive than need be, just have to kill off the earlier ones, which is what MS is doing.

From what I understand of their new business model going forward with Windows 10 and later, you aren't buying a permanent license for the software, you are buying a 'right to use' (had some special term for it, I can't recall right now), but MS gets to decide 'what' it is that you'll be using (I think that's how it works). So I'm thinking it'll be a bunch of little 'patches' or improvements constantly being applied, more like an open source project.

Interesting that they'd dump support of the later OS and maintain it on the earlier OS. Hmm. Usually doesn't work that way. Guess an indicate of how crappy 8 & 8.1 were.

It's tracking every key stroke you make.

Do you use an ad blocker?

Actually, Win10 doesn't track every keystroke I make...at least not since I've adjusted my privacy settings. That was something I did within the first week I after I installed the OS.

I use AdBlock+ in my browsers, but that has nothing to do with what shows up in the Start Menu.

Back
Top Bottom