• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Merging Similar Active Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

the Avatar

Water. Earth. Fire. Air.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
As a new member of this website, the short lifespan of an average thread makes it hard to follow conversations about certain topics. What makes it even more difficult to find something is that there often multiple threads on the same subject.

Here's two recent examples:
On the 23rd, this thread was started in the Law and Order forum on the shooting of Jacob Blake:
https://www.debatepolitics.com/law-and-order/415755-wisconsin-cops-murder-black-man.html
Three days later, another thread was started about Jacob Blake's arrest warrent:
https://www.debatepolitics.com/law-and-order/416139-jacob-blake-arrest-warrant.html
Two days after that, a third thread was started on why the officer fired at Jacob Blake seven times:
https://www.debatepolitics.com/law-...-cops-trained-fire-7-rounds-if-necessary.html

In the religion forum, there is a fairly well-established thread on proving the existence of God:
https://www.debatepolitics.com/beliefs-and-skepticism/373366-proof-god.html
There is also this newer thread on the exact same subject (adding "probably" probably doesn't change the topic very much.):
https://www.debatepolitics.com/beliefs-and-skepticism/413754-god-probably-exists-ii.html

Maybe I have high standards, but I don't see anything in the start of the newer threads that couldn't just be posts in the oldest relevant thread. I don't find any clear benefits to having the same debate concurrently happening in multiple threads. Obviously, there could be limits: Moderators don't have to go scouring through pages of threads to find some dead thread on the same subject. I am mostly thinking about multiple active threads on the same thing.

I checked the rules and I didn't see anything about not making duplicate threads but I think it would improve this forum's usability. This would mean somewhat more work for our Moderator teams but I am curious what you all think about this. Do you agree/disagree? Or is it not a big deal to most people?

As a new member of this website, the short lifespan of an average thread makes it hard to follow conversations about certain topics. What makes it even more difficult to find something is that there often multiple threads on the same subject.

On the 23rd, this thread was started in the Law and Order forum on the shooting of Jacob Blake:
Wisconsin Cops Murder Black Man
Three days later, another thread was started about Jacob Blake's arrest warrent:
Jacob Blake arrest warrant
Two days after that, a third thread was started on why the officer fired at Jacob Blake seven times:
For those of you wondering why cops are trained to fire 7+ rounds if necessary...

In the religion forum, there is a fairly well-established thread on proving the existence of God:
Proof of God
There is also this newer thread on the exact same subject (adding "probably" probably doesn't change the topic very much.):
God probably exists ii

Maybe I have high standards, but I don't see anything in the start of the newer threads that couldn't just be posts in the oldest relevant thread. I don't find any clear benefits to having the same debate concurrently happening in multiple threads. Obviously, there could be limits: Moderators don't have to go scouring through pages of threads to find some dead thread on the same subject. I am mostly thinking about multiple active threads on the same thing.

I checked the rules and I didn't see anything about not making duplicate threads but I think it would improve this forum's usability. This would mean somewhat more work for our Moderator teams but I am curious what you all think about this. Do you agree/disagree? Or is it not a big deal to most people?

Have you been here a week yet?

For those of you wondering why cops are trained to fire 7+ rounds if necessary...

Proof of God
God probably exists ii

I totally agree with you.

However...the forum is in the process of being moved to a different software base. While I hate to see lazy forum members starting multiple thread on a topic (Heck, some of the multiple threads are even based on the exact same news report!!), I don't consider this an urgent issue at this time.

Here's what I suggest: Wait till after the move and the dust has settled. Make your suggestion again. Better yet, also send a PM to the mods about the issue and your suggestions. Give them a chance...see what they say and do.

Have you been here a week yet?

No. Why?

I totally agree with you.

However...the forum is in the process of being moved to a different software base. While I hate to see lazy forum members starting multiple thread on a topic (Heck, some of the multiple threads are even based on the exact same news report!!), I don't consider this an urgent issue at this time.

Here's what I suggest: Wait till after the move and the dust has settled. Make your suggestion again. Better yet, also send a PM to the mods about the issue and your suggestions. Give them a chance...see what they say and do.

Oh, really? That sounds like a nightmare. Is there anything about when the transition will happen?

This isn't an immediate issue to me. If there's a better time to bring it up, I'd be happy to.

Proof of God
God probably exists ii

Moderator's Warning:
If you see multiple threads on the same topic, please use the report post button and include with your report a link to the other thread(s) on the same topic.

Question answered, closing thread before the troll swarm descends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom