• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Media Matters busted again... Uses deception to falsely attack Fox on Sherrod story

Re: Media Matters busted again... Uses deception to falsely attack Fox on Sherrod sto

could i ask what your point is, then?

Once you do me the courtesy of answering the question I've been asking you all along, sure. But not before.

Re: Media Matters busted again... Uses deception to falsely attack Fox on Sherrod sto

Is this thing on? :lol:

so the Obama administration acted based on O'reilly and Hannity? :confused:

Is this thing on? :lol:

so the Obama administration acted based on O'reilly and Hannity? :confused:

they acted on what they perceived to be a huge problem. which in all reality would not have happened if the entire video had been aired. i have never said obama was blameless, i just said fox sucked. and they do.

absolutely not. obama is at fault for firing sherrod. foxnews.com simply carried the unvetted, exceptionally biased story, before she resigned. and certainly stirred the pot. THAT's my point. they are not innocent, as usual.

So, you ARE saying that the White House cashiered Sherrod because of the Fox News story. That doesn't sound like "absolutely not" to me.

they acted on what they perceived to be a huge problem. which in all reality would not have happened if the entire video had been aired. i have never said obama was blameless, i just said fox sucked. and they do.

And why did they perceive it to be a huge a problem?

And why did they perceive it to be a huge a problem?

they did not want to be accused of racism, as you well know. what's your point here?

so the answer is yes. They acted on hannity and o'reilly's opinion shows since it has been established the fox news reporting segments did not harp on it till after she was fired...

so the answer is yes. They acted on hannity and o'reilly's opinion shows since it has been established the fox news reporting segments did not harp on it till after she was fired...

excuse me, are you grim's twin? foxnews.com certainly aired the story before she was fired, but let's not confuse the issue with the facts.

they did not want to be accused of racism, as you well know. what's your point here?

That you think Fox News is responsible for getting Sherrod fired. I think I've made that abundantly clear.

So the Obama administration acted based on O'reilly and Hannity? :confused:
No...

If you recall, FoxNews has stated (I know Hannity has said as much) that they didn't run the story until after Mrs. Sherrod resigned.

I think the WH thought they were pre-empting a situation that could have turned into a scandal. It did anyway (turn into a scandal) for the wrong reason, but imagine if you will how you'd react if you received a report that one of your employees had "recently" conducted herself in an unprofessional manner, specifically she perpetrated an act of racism in the performance of her duties and "bragged" about it at an NAACP meeting?

On the surface, it does give the appearance of something the WH needed to separate themselves from promptly especially in the face of the current news of the day concerning the NAACP and the Tea Party movement. But as I said herein and several times before, the WH like pretty much everyone else jumped the gun and brought about the very black eye upon themselves that they attempted to avoid by NOT checking into the validity of the story before anyone took what they considered to be the proper corrective action.

Last edited:

That you think Fox News is responsible for getting Sherrod fired. I think I've made that abundantly clear.

and you would be wrong. in fact, you are wrong.

No...

I think they thought they were pre-empting a situation that could have turned into a scandal. It did anyway for the wrong reason, but imagine if you will how you'd react if you received a report that one of your employees had "recently" conducted herself in an unprofessional manner, specifically she perpetrated an act of racism in the performance of her duties and "bragged" about it at an NAACP meeting?

On the surface, it does give the appearance of something the WH needed to separate themselves from promptly especially in the face of the current news of the day concerning the NAACP and the Tea Party movement. But as I said herein and several times before, the WH like pretty much everyone else jumped the gun and brought about the very black eye upon themselves that they attempted to avoid by NOT checking into the validity of the story before anyone took what they considered to be the proper corrective action.

So, "no" is "yes" then. See some here are blaming fox news for fanning this, specifically now Hannity and Oreilly.... no other media outlet is being named or singled out. Therefore, Obama, did indeed if true that hannity and oreilly ran with it before she was fired. Acted on FOX opinionists word.

It makes no sense... that's the problem with all this jibber jabber about fox. Either they reported it AFTER she was fired, or Obama listened to his opposition to have a woman fired.

excuse me, are you grim's twin? foxnews.com certainly aired the story before she was fired, but let's not confuse the issue with the facts.

ok sure then... If they did that, then Obama is a moron for acting on an uncorroborated story from a supposedly hostile to his regieme news source.... :doh

So either he is a total moron, or something does not add up here.

Well then please show a timeline, with proof, to debunk the one in the OP.

Just because you say it happened doesn't mean it did.

Alright, if that's the case let me ask you this...

Has anyone on FoxNews had Mrs. Sherrod on their show since this incident occurred?

I know she's been on the Today Show, GMA, done several live and telephone interviews on CNN, but I have yet to see her appear live or via phone on FoxNews.

Mrs. Sharrod has been invited to appear on Fox News Channel but she has not responded.

and you would be wrong. in fact, you are wrong.

Oh, I don't think so. You keep insisting tooth and nail that they posted their story before she was fired. You keep making a point of it.

If not to show that Fox is responsible, why else would that matter so much to you?

She was fired before Fox News Channel reported it. Responsibility here is impossible.

IT ws reported on Fox Nation, which is a blog. FNC is not responsible for it's content.

Last edited:

So, "no" is "yes" then.
No...

Read the edited portion of my post that you quoted...

No...

If you recall, FoxNews has stated (I know Hannity has said as much) that they didn't run the story until after Mrs. Sherrod resigned.

According to media reports, the WH accepted Mrs. Sherrod's resignation only upon learning that the editted version of her speech was going to be aired on the Glen Beck show. Thus, it's reasonable to assume that the WH wanted to resolve what could have been a very black eye for them in the wake of racism charged against the Obama Administration. But as it turns out, the story wasn't true, yet the WH still got a black-eye because they acted w/o having all the facts. Their only solice here is they turned around, reviewed the actually footage of the speech, admitted their mistake the very next day and offer the woman her job back.
See some here are blaming fox news for fanning this, specifically now Hannity and Oreilly....
Well, Hannity certainly did; O'Reilly manned-up and apologized the next day.

No other media outlet is being named or singled out.

True, but here again it was FoxNews who first broke the story. Why would you go after anyone else who made the claim after the fact? Everyone else was merely running with what had already been reported by FoxNews. So, of course people are going after them. Contrary to what you and others would have us believe, FoxNews is not blameless here.

Therefore, Obama, did indeed if true that hannity and oreilly ran with it before she was fired. Acted on FOX opinionists word.

It makes no sense... that's the problem with all this jibber jabber about fox. Either they reported it AFTER she was fired, or Obama listened to his opposition to have a woman fired.
Again, according to those at FoxNews they didn't report on this story until after Mrs. Sherrod resigned. Still, the Obama Administration reacted too quickly to counter its publication on the Glen Beck show (be it his radio show or his segment on FoxNews). Either way, it was an attempt at a pre-emptive measure by the WH, not something that was done in response to what was being presented live at the time.

Last edited:

Oh, I don't think so. You keep insisting tooth and nail that they posted their story before she was fired. You keep making a point of it.

If not to show that Fox is responsible, why else would that matter so much to you?

yes, i've made a point of it because some posters are liars. that i don't like. opinion is fine, but not lies. and foxnews.com is responsible for running that story without facts, isn't that true? THAT'S the point. obama was wrong, as well, and i don't know how many times i need to post that. wait, yes i do, not one more.

So wait, they acted based on the possibility of a scandal based on a fox news piece? What?????

Let's be realistic here, they like you and I saw the breitbart video prior to fox airing it and acted soley on that. Blaming FOX here is silly in my opinon, and I don't watch fox.

Based on the fact you continue to falsely insist that Fox News published the story on the website before she was fired, only one conclusion can be drawn...

You are a shameless liberal liar, who has made the conscience decision to place politics above honesty.

Have a nice day.

Media Matters has been caught red handed yet again, using lies and deceptions in the Shirley Sherrod incident to level another false attack on Fox News. What's so sad about this, is that so many people on the left bought their BS hook, line and sinker, when the facts were so easily checkable.

Media Matters on July 22nd, published a story titled "Timeline of Breitbart's Sherrod smear", where they use lies and deceptions to lead their readers into falsely believing that Fox News played a pivotal role in Shirley Sherrod losing her job.

DECEPTION
Their time line for Monday, the day this all happened, lays out 20 different events in chronological order from 11:18 am when Breitbart posts the video on biggovernment.com, thru 10:39 pm when CNN reports on her resignation. Right away 2 things immediately jumped out at me. For some strange reason, the event they titled "Fox News amplifies Breitbart's deceptively edited video" (complete with screen shot of the Foxnews.com story) was the only event that MM didn't include a time with, and they placed that event between Breitbart's release of the video at 11:18 am, and Gateway Pundit's post at 12:13 pm.

Since this is a "time line", MM leads it's readers to believe that the Foxnews.com story was published sometime between 11:18 and 12:13 on Monday.

The Facts
That story (which was the first that mentioned the issue) wasn't published on Foxnews.com until just after 6pm Monday, as is indicated by the first public comment which was made at 6:22pm. So in reality, the Foxnews.com story should have been the 10th event in that time line, instead of 2nd.

LIE
In the event titled "Fox News amplifies Breitbart's deceptively edited video", MM states:

On July 19, FoxNews.com reported: "Days after the NAACP clashed with Tea Party members over allegations of racism, a video has surfaced showing an Agriculture Department official regaling an NAACP audience with a story about how she withheld help to a white farmer facing bankruptcy."​
Now in an attempt to make it look like Fox News is trying to cover up their "complicity" in taking Shirley Sherrod down, they go on to say...

The article is no longer available on FoxNews.com but was republished on another website:

0721-originalfoxsherrodstory.jpg

The Facts
That article was never taken down, and is still available on Foxnews.com as we speak.

MISLEADING
MM goes the extra mile to highlight what was written at 1:41 pm on Foxnation.com, by posting not one, but two screen shots of their headlines, giving everyone a before and after she was fired screen shot. They made sure that the "Fox Nation" logo was in both of them, so their readers couldn't possibly miss the word "Fox".

The point was for their readers to see 2 events tied to "Fox" before it was announced that Shirley Sherrod had resigned, to make it seem that Fox News had acted irresponsibly, and indeed played a role in her being forced to resign.

The Facts
Fox Nation is just a blogger site,not an extension of Foxnews.com. They are similar to sites like the huffington post, hotair or the daily kos, where public bloggers take information from other blogs and news outlets and write about it. The Fox News Network has nothing to do with what's posted there, just like Ariana Huffington isn't responsible for what the bloggers on her site write about. Media Matters is fully aware that Fox Nation is a blog, but hoped their readers wouldn't know that.

The facts are clear...

11:16 am
The video was released

12:13 pm
Bloggers on the net start jumping all over the story.

5:00 pm (aprox)
Shirley Sherrod pulls over her car and resigns from her job (hasn't been made public yet)

5:00 pm
O'Reilly starts taping his show (where toward the end he calls for her resignation)

6:00 pm (aprox)
Foxnews.com publishes their first story about Sharrod and the video

7:30 pm (aprox)
Foxnews.com receives word and reports that Sharrod has resigned.

8:50 pm
Bill O'Reilly becomes the first person on the Fox News Channel to mention the story on air, or show parts of the video

See what a difference the facts make?

This was nothing more than a phony Media Matters hit piece on Fox News. They tried to lead readers to believe that from the time the video was released, until the lady was forced to resign, that Fox News was publishing stories based on the edited video and had been condemning this lady as a racist all day long. Their story used deception and out right lies to try and convince people that Fox News acted irresponsibly, and therefore was to blame for that lady losing her job.

CONCLUSION

Media Matters is full of ****.

This post is hogwash:
  • You state that Media Matters placed Fox second in the timeline. No, they did no such thing, all they did was write the story in journalist fashion. Meaning that they listed the most significant parts of the story first. That Breitbart posted the video and Fox amplified the story, everything else was secondary in their view. Please note that MM said Fox did this Monday, but they didn't give a time of day stamp as they did for the others.
  • You also stated Fox Nation is not affiliated with Fox, that's not true according to the today's Politico article.

References:
http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=1B47C63B-18FE-70B2-A88568269D9BA857

http://mediamatters.org/research/201007220004

Last edited:

yes, i've made a point of it because some posters are liars. that i don't like. opinion is fine, but not lies. and foxnews.com is responsible for running that story without facts, isn't that true? THAT'S the point. obama was wrong, as well, and i don't know how many times i need to post that. wait, yes i do, not one more.

I dunno; Grim's posted a number of things, from various sources, which indicate that the story was posted on Fox after she was fired. Perhaps before it was announced she was fired, but after she was actually fired. You've rejected them all out of hand. If it were about truth, I don't know why you would do that. (Personally, I don't know exactly when it was posted, nor does it matter to me.)

Everything I've seen you post on the matter indicates that for some reason, you need for Fox to have posted the story before she was fired. And, I have no doubt it's because you want to lay at least some of the blame for her being fired on them.

EDIT: Heck, I don't have to go through the story; it's posted immediately above.

But, you know, you keep saying that Fox News shares some of the blame. If it's not for Sherrod being fired, then it's blame for what, specifically?

Last edited:

This post is hogwash:
  • You state that Media Matters placed Fox second in the timeline. No, they did no such thing, all they did was write the story in journalist fashion. Meaning that they listed the most significant parts of the story first. That Breitbart posted the video and Fox amplified the story, everything else was secondary in their view. Please note that MM said Fox did this Monday, but they didn't give a time of day stamp as they did for the others.
  • You also stated Fox Nation is not affiliated with Fox, that's not true according to the today's Politico article.

1. They did place Fox 2nd on their time line in an attempt to deceive their readers, as the screen shot below proves. They purposely omitted a time stamp because it wouldn't fit with their narrative, but did highlight it just like every other event the listed.

Image1.jpg

2. I said no such thing. Let me refresh your memory for you:

Grim17 said:
Fox Nation is just a blogger site,not an extension of Foxnews.com. They are similar to sites like the huffington post, hotair or the daily kos, where public bloggers take information from other blogs and news outlets and write about it. The Fox News Network has nothing to do with what's posted there, just like Ariana Huffington isn't responsible for what the bloggers on her site write about. Media Matters is fully aware that Fox Nation is a blog, but hoped their readers wouldn't know that.

I stand by my original post 110%.

Last edited:

In which it says:

Clemente noted that, although FoxNews.com did put out a story before Sherrod's resignation was announced, it was published after she actually resigned, since it has been widely reported that she was pressured to get her resignation in before Glenn Beck's 5 p.m. show on Fox.

Back
Top Bottom