• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Media and DP Obsession with Dead Rich White Guy Criminal

jonny5

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Why is every story and post about some alleged criminal molester who killed himself? Why is this a big story? We have a cold civil war going on here, real actual wars going on over there, 22 trillion in debt, 15,000 murders, ignorant children, poverty, etc. Why are we consumed with this other thing? I show at least 40 threads started on this in the last few days. Millions of news stories on it.

Because this is a major part of that cold civil war.

The dead rich white guy had incriminating testimony, on multiple very wealthy and powerful people. It was a chance to pull back the curtain. Then he died. By "suicide". In an empty jail cell. Star witness. Left alone.

It should be strikingly obvious why Epstein's death caused a news uproar. He has connections to powerful people, and now we might not find out who his clientele were, because of his death. Which, by the way, happened under extremely suspicious circumstances.

Corruption at the highest levels of government, for one of the most egregious crimes. We are a nation based on our trust in our government, laws, and ourselves. For anyone paying attention, this indicates when the chips are down, we can't trust our laws/government, that's a big problem.

Hmm... uber rich alleged criminal (in federal custody) who had known close personal relationships with powerful political leaders (foreign and domestic) was 'handling' multiple child sex slaves and (mysteriously?) suddenly dies before appearing in court. Just another run of the mill event? Even the "just us" system was not going to get away with accepting a plea deal from someone running a child sex slave operation for the second time. It would appear to most folks that he was never going to be allowed (required?) to rat out those very powerful political figures who were "being entertained" by his child sex slaves.

This shines a light on what has been a problem for a long time and has been getting much worse in the last few years. And may also show an example of the larger problem of privatization.

It doesn't matter if you're a celebrity or not. Unless there is a precondition, once you go to prison, you're just another inmate and that's how you're treated. In other words, nobody gives a dang about you. The big thing, though, about what has been on a sharp rise the last few years is suicide when it should be obvious there is such risk. I can't count the number of times I've read about a suicide where, given the details in the story, was an obvious suicide risk. A judgement I make as a non-mental health professional. And now, you have in the Trump administration, as in so many other departments, an ACTING Director of the Bureau of Prisons who received a $20,000 “award” last year while overseeing a system wrought with staffing shortages and mismanagement.

Don’t be surprised if you find a staff shortage problem combined with a private contractor involvement in this case. Which shows the bigger US-wide problem of Trump privatizing everything he can to further socialize cost and privatize profits for his large corp philosophy at our expense.

So its sexy. Doesnt really affect any of us, but because there's celebs and conspiracies, we've got to hear about it for months.

So its sexy. Doesnt really affect any of us, but because there's celebs and conspiracies, we've got to hear about it for months.

Sex trafficking rings, especially with minors, is kind of important. And by important I mean utterly vile. If you don't care that this happened, I'd advise you that announcing it is probably not going to go the way you were planning....

Here's the fire...

The American people are increasingly beginning to believe that our laws, written by the powerful (elected officials), at the behest of the wealthy ( donors, lobbyists, etc), only applied to most of us, rather than all of us.

Tell me...is this fuel for that fire?

Sex trafficking rings, especially with minors, is kind of important. And by important I mean utterly vile. If you don't care that this happened, I'd advise you that announcing it is probably not going to go the way you were planning....

Really?
If it’s that important why is there no discussion about the human trafficking from Mexico.
How many posts have there been about the Mexican cartel human trafficking problem?
I guess one rich white guy is more important than hundreds of South American women.

The people are dumb. They dont care about any of this. And the media obsession with this stuff is just making it worse.

Last edited:
The people are dumb. They dont care about any of this. And the media obsession with this stuff is just making it works.

almost sig worthy, though i don't do that.

I dont care about the guy killing himself. No one is talking about the crimes he committed, just his death and the conspiracies. It doesnt matter. Hes dead. He got justice one way or another. Im sure the FBI will continue to keep investigating sex trafficking rings like they always have. Meanwhile we have thousands of other more important things that need a little publicity.

almost sig worthy, though i don't do that.

Its pretty obvious stuff. People dont care about our laws, who theyre written by, or wealthy donors. They care about reality tv and free stuff.

The people are dumb. They dont care about any of this. And the media obsession with this stuff is just making it worse.

You know all of the people?

I care about him killing himself because he needed to name names. Sure, the FBI will investigate, but they may not get as much.

This is worth investigating.

I care about him killing himself because he needed to name names. Sure, the FBI will investigate, but they may not get as much.

This is worth investigating.

Care more than Hong Kong protests? Endangered Species? Another 20 murders around the country yesterday?

They don't have 1,000 field reporters though. Therein is the true answer to your quandary. It is a big story in NYC. Most of the media is based in NYC. It is cheaper, easier, and faster for them to cover this story that they were already man hours into when he killed himself than it it to go out to Oregon and look for a spotted owl.

Jonny5:

If, and it is a very important if, the state or former agents of the state engineered or abetted the killing of Mr. Epstein in order to silence him, then that is a big and very newsworthy journalistic item to be followed up upon. It is right up there with the Obama Administration's decision to kill American citizens without trial if they were connected in some significant way to radical Islamist movements in the Global War on Terror. If agents of the state can kill Mr. Epstein with impunity (and again that is a hypothetical if), then they will begin to believe that they can kill any American citizen if it serves their interests, including Jonny5. That is why it is a big story, because wise US citizens don't want to live in the Kingdom of Saudi America, where assassination is a commonly used tool of the state.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Last edited:

And this is why people are dumb. They love a good tv drama, and hate actually understanding what govt does.

Or hey, go to a Senate committee meeting and report on Hurricane Michael's Impact on Northwest Florida's Small Businesses.

Weathering the Storm: Hurricane Michael's Impact on Northwest Florida's Small Businesses - Hearings - U.S. Committee on Small Business & Entrepreneurship

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…