• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mask On or Off?

grip

Slow 🅖 Hand
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I've had the covid infection last year and am now fully vaccinated, tell me why I should wear a mask in public?

The CDC should offer a bright orange or red card that we can wear around our necks telling others we're inoculated. Make it out of some impossibly hard to duplicate design like money with holographic water-marks.

I didn't mind being cautious before with masks, hand washing, distancing and rarely going out. But until they scientifically show that I'm a hazard, the mask comes off outdoors. I've seen the recommendations that vaccinated people may transmit the disease but not the medical evidence. I'll carry one for businesses that still require one, though yesterday when I went shopping, half the general public was mask free where I live.

If the covid variants become a problem, even for the vaccinated, then I will resume full time mask wearing.

From the CDC: "A growing body of evidence suggests that fully vaccinated people are less likely to have asymptomatic infection and potentially less likely to transmit SARS-CoV-2 to others. However, further investigation is ongoing."

I’ve never worn one outdoors though my typical excursions were alone or with my wife and the few times it was with other people we were physically separate. There just isn’t a good scientific reason to wear a mask outdoors unless you’re jammed together.

Indoors is a different story. I’ll be getting together indoors with some friends this week. All of us are vaccinated but I may still wear a mask even though the CDC says it isn’t necessary simply because my wife isn’t yet vaccinated.

Last edited:
If you are vaccinated you don’t need a mask outside.

As for inside I will just continue to wear a mask in public places until enough have been vaccinated and we have reached herd immunity.

I’ve never worn one outdoors though my typical excursions were alone or with my wife and the few times it was with other people we were physically separate. There just isn’t a good scientific reason to wear a mask outdoors unless you’re jammed together.

Indoors is a different story. I’ll be getting together indoors with some friends this week. All of us are vaccinated but I may still wear a mask even the CDC says it isn’t necessary simply because my wife isn’t yet vaccinated.

My only concern not wearing one outdoors has been elderly neighbors, close-talking, with no protection. No matter how far I pull away, they creep up. Probably due to hearing issues.

If you are vaccinated you don’t need a mask outside.

As for inside I will just continue to wear a mask in public places until enough have been vaccinated and we have reached herd immunity.

Hopefully, the variants don't become rampant and make herd immunity an illusion.

I am fully vaccinated and I still wear a mask around non-family members.

The CDC does not yet know if vaccinated people can still transmit the virus.

I am fully vaccinated and I still wear a mask around non-family members.

The CDC does not yet know if vaccinated people can still transmit the virus.

They say vaccinated people are less likely to transmit, but you're right, they don't know how much.

I've had the covid infection last year and am now fully vaccinated, tell me why I should wear a mask in public?

The CDC should offer a bright orange or red card that we can wear around our necks telling others we're inoculated. Make it out of some impossibly hard to duplicate design like money with holographic water-marks.

I didn't mind being cautious before with masks, hand washing, distancing and rarely going out. But until they scientifically show that I'm a hazard, the mask comes off outdoors. I've seen the recommendations that vaccinated people may transmit the disease but not the medical evidence. I'll carry one for businesses that still require one, though yesterday when I went shopping, half the general public was mask free where I live.

If the covid variants become a problem, even for the vaccinated, then I will resume full time mask wearing.

From the CDC: "A growing body of evidence suggests that fully vaccinated people are less likely to have asymptomatic infection and potentially less likely to transmit SARS-CoV-2 to others. However, further investigation is ongoing."

Everything I have read from science journals suggest to me, the government is off its rocker.

Doctors wear loose fitting masks to prevent their droplets from hitting a patient.

Doctors wear N95 masks properly sealing them to prevent aerosol type contamination in either direction.

The original social distancing and cleaning practices were all we needed to mitigate... not stop... but mitigate spreading the virus. Notice that there was a dramatic increase in cases as the cold and flu season came upon us. This indicates it spreads just like the cold and flu. It has to do with the right temperature and humidity. people spending more time inside than out with little ventilation. And what did they do? Put public outdoor places off limits, forcing us inside.

Utter stupidity.

The mask requirement should only be necessary for people like food preparers.

The mask requirements we have, are an absolute joke. This virus is primarily spread in its aerosol form. Because of this, wearing a face covering, or ordinary cloth mask, is nothing but putting on a show. It's nothing but optics. The only meaningful mask requirement that makes a difference is to wear a N95 quality mask, and properly sealed against the face. Anything short of that, is just optics, unless you are in close proximity to another.

Ventilation indoors is a critical factor. Poor ventilation increases how long the virus stays in the air.

As for wearing a mask full time? That is the stupidest thing they have us do. It's as if they want this to last forever. When the masks get moist, with an infected person wearing it, the moisture and mask combination are now an aerosol generator, spreading the virus in the air far more than an infected person breathing without a mask on.

This is a very complex topic, but trust me. Politicians don't have our best interests as a concern. Their interests lie in getting that next reelection.

Everything I have read from science journals suggest to me, the government is off its rocker.

Doctors wear loose fitting masks to prevent their droplets from hitting a patient.

Doctors wear N95 masks properly sealing them to prevent aerosol type contamination in either direction.

The original social distancing and cleaning practices were all we needed to mitigate... not stop... but mitigate spreading the virus. Notice that there was a dramatic increase in cases as the cold and flu season came upon us. This indicates it spreads just like the cold and flu. It has to do with the right temperature and humidity. people spending more time inside than out with little ventilation. And what did they do? Put public outdoor places off limits, forcing us inside.

Utter stupidity.

The mask requirements we have, are an absolute joke. This virus is primarily spread in its aerosol form. Because of this, wearing a face covering, or ordinary cloth mask, is nothing but putting on a show. It's nothing but optics. The only meaningful mask requirement that makes a difference is to wear a N95 quality mask, and properly sealed against the face. Anything short of that, is just optics, unless you are in close proximity to another.

Ventilation indoors is a critical factor. Poor ventilation increases how long the virus stays in the air.

As for wearing a mask full time? That is the stupidest thing they have us do. It's as if they want this to last forever. When the masks get moist, with an infected person wearing it, the moisture and mask combination are now an aerosol generator, spreading the virus in the air far more than an infected person breathing without a mask on.

This is a very complex topic, but trust me. Politicians don't have our best interests as a concern. Their interests lie in getting that next reelection.

I think because of the potential for this disease to overwhelm our medical system everyone erred on the side of caution. Look at India.

I think because of the potential for this disease to overwhelm our medical system everyone erred on the side of caution. Look at India.
That's their excuse for it, but look at the damage they are doing to the economy. Homeless here in Portland has more than doubled. I wonder how many died this winter from the cold weather and meaningless shelter? Probably more than would have died from the increased covid deaths.

I will never forgive our government officials for the damage they have done to the economy. I know too many people who are struggling to stay afloat, and not become homeless.

That's their excuse for it, but look at the damage they are doing to the economy. Homeless here in Portland has more than doubled. I wonder how many died this winter from the cold weather and meaningless shelter? Probably more than would have died from the increased covid deaths.

I will never forgive our government officials for the damage they have done to the economy. I know too many people who are struggling to stay afloat, and not become homeless.

I think only history will determine if shutting down the economy was an overreaction. Originally, I was dead set against it because I knew it would hurt the middle and lower income earners the most. But now, I'm not so sure if it didn't prevent a social collapse, kind of like the 2008 Bailouts.

Hopefully, the variants don't become rampant and make herd immunity an illusion.

If herd immunity isn’t reached it won’t be due to existing variants-the vaccines are effective enough against them so far.
It will be due to the covidiots who won’t get vaccinated as some sort if warped political statement.

Masks are recommended indoors even if you are vaccinated because there isn’t enough data yet to show that transmission from vaccinated people is rare enough to remove the masks.
Soon, I think.

It's simple.

False positive: You wore a mask when you weren't in a situation to contribute to COVID-19 transmission.

False negative: You didn't wear a mask when you were in a situation to contribute to COVID-19 transmission.

If you can understand this, you can understand why we need to keep wearing masks for awhile.

(Note: This is the nice version. That ends if you make any sort of ignorant response. Not that you would, just getting out in front of it should it happen.)

Utter stupidity.

I don’t believe the politicians either-but I do believe medical experts like Dr Fauci far more than any internet hack on this forum.

I think only history will determine if shutting down the economy was an overreaction. Originally, I was dead set against it because I knew it would hurt the middle and lower income earners the most. But now, I'm not so sure if it didn't prevent a social collapse, kind of like the 2008 Bailouts.
The only people it really protected was the pocketbooks of insurance corporations and hospitals. Only a very small number of people died that didn't already have existing conditions. How many of those people wouldn't even have been alive without modern medicine?

I'm sorry, but I have seen too mush pain and suffering of the common people.

My only concern not wearing one outdoors has been elderly neighbors, close-talking, with no protection. No matter how far I pull away, they creep up. Probably due to hearing issues.
They aren't vaccinated?

If herd immunity isn’t reached it won’t be due to existing variants-the vaccines are effective enough against them so far.
It will be due to the covidiots who won’t get vaccinated as some sort if warped political statement.

Masks are recommended indoors even if you are vaccinated because there isn’t enough data yet to show that transmission from vaccinated people is rare enough to remove the masks.
Soon, I think.

Ya, I just read that the vaccines are effective against the known variants.

If it gets bad enough, the gov may make a mandate that the holdouts get inoculated. I'm still wearing my mask indoors... for now.

Soon, I think.
Why don't they just admit, they the vaccine isn't very effective?

It's simple.

False positive: You wore a mask when you weren't in a situation to contribute to COVID-19 transmission.

False negative: You didn't wear a mask when you were in a situation to contribute to COVID-19 transmission.

If you can understand this, you can understand why we need to keep wearing masks for awhile.

(Note: This is the nice version. That ends if you make any sort of ignorant response. Not that you would, just getting out in front of it should it happen.)

I appreciate the courteous response and agree with your assessment. 👍

Ya, I just read that the vaccines are effective against the known variants.

If it gets bad enough, the gov may make a mandate that the holdouts get inoculated. I'm still wearing my mask indoors... for now.

I will be thrilled to take off the mask if they find that transmission to others doesn't really occur once you're vaccinated.

It's simple.

Please read what I said about masks in my first post of this thread.

If you insist on wearing a mask, do it properly rather than just for optics.

Buy several N95 quality masks. When you wear it, wear it properly sealed so all air must flow through the mask filtering cloth instead of around your face. Switch masks about once an hour, and either throw them away or let completely dry before reusing.

Otherwise...

It's just optics.

I will be thrilled to take off the mask if they find that transmission to others doesn't really occur once you're vaccinated.

I forget mine is on, alone in the car, until other drivers start staring at me funny. 🥴

Because someone can still be a CARRIER even though they do not develop the disease themselves.

You don't wear a mask so much to protect yourself as you do to help protect other people. Here is how it works

HOW MASKS HELP STOP COVID SPREAD.JPG

Back
Top Bottom