• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Many Americans don't know basic abortion facts. Test your knowledge

My point was that the terminology is irrelevant. Baby. Fetus. Child. They are all accurate and they are all describing the same thing.
Yes, they are relevant. Especially since they are not the same thing.
Sure it is...
Your own source refutes that.
Because it is an emotional issue.
Only to the irrational.
They get emotional about their guns as well...
Like I said, irrational.

If she wants to abort her fetus or child or baby... it does not matter what it is called. It is not a person. That is all that matters. She can abort it.
This is the argument that we have to stop using. It doesn't matter if it is a person or not. If a violation of bodily autonomy is occurring and the only way to stop it is to terminate the violator, say rape for example, do we not stop it because the violator is a person? No. Personhood holds no sway in the issue, so the offspring could be a person and it would not change a thing.

It's a fetus pre birth. That's a scientific fact. "Baby" is just a generic and umbrella term to include newborns, infants, and toddlers, as well as possibly being used to evoke an emotional response.
With fairness, it is also used rather idiomatically when referencing pretty much anything endearment is placed upon, ranging from mates to cars to pets, and beyond. But I do agree with you that most who use it as an argument are doing so for emotional augmenting because they can't come up with facts.

How Your own citation defines a child: "the definition of child as "an individual from the period of viable birth to age 19,"
In other words, it's not a child until birth.

In fairness and to show the greater audience the contridiction:

In 2002, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) changed the definition of "child" for purposes of eligibility for perinatal coverage under the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP Perinatal) to "an individual under the age of 19 including the period from conception to birth."
While the Committee on Maternal and Perinatal Health supports public programs that provide health care for pregnant women, the committee objects to this definition of "child." The committee endorses the definition of child as "an individual from the period of viable birth to age 19," which is consistent with standard medical terminology.

As we can see there are two groups who are claiming two different definitions. @Bodi , the one that you quoted is shown not to be the standard medical definition, at least as claimed by that source.

However, @Gordy327 , I noticed that you did not address the quote from the Medical Dictionary, which does support Bodi's point.

In fairness and to show the greater audience the contridiction:
I bolded it. Bodi wants to claim "baby" includes a fetus. But the source cites specifically states birth, i.e. newborn.
As we can see there are two groups who are claiming two different definitions. @Bodi , the one that you quoted is shown not to be the standard medical definition, at least as claimed by that source.

However, @Gordy327 , I noticed that you did not address the quote from the Medical Dictionary, which does support Bodi's point.
Since we're resorting to internet dictionaries, I can cite one too, from the Cambridge Dictionary: Baby: a very young child, especially one that has not yet begun to walk or talk.
Or from the Etymology Dictionary: "infant of either sex,"
Or from Very Well Family: "Baby can be used to refer to any child from birth to age 4 years old, thus encompassing newborns, infants, and toddlers."

With fairness, it is also used rather idiomatically when referencing pretty much anything endearment is placed upon, ranging from mates to cars to pets, and beyond. But I do agree with you that most who use it as an argument are doing so for emotional augmenting because they can't come up with facts.
It can be and is often used as a term of endearment, as well as a layman or generalization term. That's probably how most people think or use the term. Proper scientific usages do not.

That was easy. 4/4

It can be and is often used as a term of endearment, as well as a layman or generalization term. That's probably how most people think or use the term. Proper scientific usages do not.

Of course when we are talking about medical procedures, only the scientific definition matters.

You need to be objective when reviewing the abortion scenario, the law is one way to do that.
By contrast, your one-sided view rest strictly upon emotional sentimentalism, an appeal which projects the shock of killing of a cuddling, mewling baby - even at conception - which is ridiculous at face value, while further relying upon the rare (and out of context) late-term abortion for maximum shock-value.
You are confused. Most of us on the pro-life side know abortion is not going away and largely just push for common sense restrictions. The inobjectivity is with the left refusing to accept that it's a human baby until the moment it exiots the birth canal.

You are confused. Most of us on the pro-life side know abortion is not going away and largely just push for common sense restrictions.
What are "common sense restrictions?" Abortion was largely limited to viability, which was a reasonable restriction and compromise. But that wasn't good enough for some pro-lifers apparently.
The inobjectivity is with the left refusing to accept that it's a human baby until the moment it exiots the birth canal.
The inability for some pro-lifers to understand or accept facts is astounding. It's not a baby (newborn/neonate) until it exits the birth canal. Before then, it's a fetus. That's simple scientific fact!
Not fact. Just your cold hearted opinion.
Emotional rhetoric.

13 people die each day waiting for a kidney transplant. Should the government require that we all give up a kidney to save them?
Lame attempt at a strawman argument.

The inability for some pro-lifers to understand or accept facts is astounding. It's not a baby (newborn/neonate) until it exits the birth canal. Before then, it's a fetus. That's simple scientific fact!
Hate to break it to you, however it does not magically become a baby when it exits the birth canal.

Hate to break it to you, however it does not magically become a baby when it exits the birth canal.
Yes it does. "Baby" is just an umbrella term for newborns, infants, and toddlers. Before birth, it's still just a fetus and an embryo before that. You should brush up on embryology terminology.

Back
Top Bottom