@_girL........ wrote: "Do you think men should be able to get out of child support on the grounds that consent to sex is not consent to pregnancy?"
Are you saying it should be OK for woment to entrap men? There ARE two different factors involved here, Natural Mindless Biology and Free Will.
Natural Mindless Biology is responsible for egg-fertilization and womb-implantation. It does not always happen as a result of sex (it does not always happen even with assistance such as in-vitro fertilization). Meanwhile Free Will chooses the whether-or-not of sex AND the whether-or-not-and-what-type of birth control. The first increases the chance that Natural Mindless Biology can do its thing, and the second decreases that chance.
Regarding the participants, the Key Questions are, "Did they know about the chance of pregnancy, were they both consenting to sex, did they ever discuss the chance of pregnancy, and what did they decide to do about it?"
1. It is well known that plenty of pregnancies have occurred in complete ignorance, making the last two questions moot. It could reasonably be said that NEITHER participant consented to pregnancy in this case. It could also be reasonably said that their ignorance was the fault of their society, and so the society, not the participants, should pay for the consequences. (You may take "society" to mean whatever larger group is appropriate, from anti-sex-education parents, on up.)
2. It is possible for either sex to be raped (and the last two Key Questions are again generally moot). Male rape isn't much talked-about because males dominate most human societies, and male egos typically don't want to dwell on being non-dominant, but that does not change the facts. Nevertheless, should this situation be the case, it is quite equivalent to female rape, such that if the female is allowed abortion, then the male should be allowed non-child-support. (And if society forbids the abortion, then again society should also pay. Do you know what an "ecological niche" is? It is ANY situation in which reproduction and growth of the next generation can successfully occur. Nature doesn't care AT ALL what meets this definition. So, a society that forbids abortion of rape-caused pregnancies is an ecological niche in which rapists can have as many offspring as possible, perpetuating any/all genes that predispose an individual to use rape as a "reproductive strategy" --even if that individual THINKS rape is just a dominance-tool. Nature allows anything that WORKS, to pass genes on, including delusions.)
3. If the chance of pregnancy is not discussed by the consenting individuals who know about it, then they are just being stupid. Does the human species need this kind of stupidity (should they be executed, thereby bumping-up average intelligence)? Obviously they should pay for the consequences of their stupidity. Perhaps they will live long enough to learn to be less-stupid.
4. The result of discussing the chance of pregnancy leads to a number of possibilities.
a. Both want it: Both should pay.
b. The male wants it and the female doesn't: The male should be willing to pay, and the female should be willing to use birth control, or decide to become non-consenting.
c. The female wants it and the male doesn't: The female should be willing to pay, and the male should be willing to use birth control, or decide to become non-consenting. (I've heard about a marriage in which this was the case; the male chose secret masturbation to reduce sperm-count so much that the female eventually started seeking medical help for why she couldn't get pregnant. Sounds like a great plot for a wacky movie.
d. Neither wants pregnancy: Both should be willing to use birth control, or decide to become non-consenting. Note that the low-quality "rhythm method" of birth control is exactly that of choosing non-consent when the Natural Mindless Biological chances of pregnancy are greatest.
5. The choice to use birth control is far more important than the method chosen. All are imperfect (if you are one who believes the story of the Virgin Mary, then you must agree that even abstinence
is an imperfect birth control method --which reminds me, why didn't God pay child-support for Jesus?). Anyway, **ALL** birth control methods have in common the fact that Free Will is claiming that it does not have to submit to the dictates of Natural Mindless Biology. Any society that refuses to recognize this, and prohibits abortion as a "backup plan" to birth control, is a society that promotes slavery to Natural Mindless Biology, that considers Free Will to be a no-account thing. Such a society should then pay the price of prohibiting abortion, not the participants in sex.