• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Making Voting Easier For All In America

In other words, only certain "unfounded' concerns need to be responded to.

in other words, lining people up to vote in person during a pandemic is ****ing stupid when there's another option that the president and vice president themselves used. unfounded my ass. the last time i voted in person, the line was wrapped both directions down the hall and around the building by 6:30 AM thanks to Republicans who limited polling places and will sure as **** do so this time. then we all took turns touching the same places on the same ten machines. that's a nightmare scenario during a pandemic.

Republicans strongly suspect that they'll lose if voting is simple and safe, so they're openly fighting against and trying to subvert those options. if they succeed, people will get sick, and they'll possibly lose anyway.

this is my final answer. refer to it if you are still confused. after that, remain confused.

peace.

Well, MOST don't

Besides, you'll be wearing your mask right?(LOL)

That's not my experience. I don't own a mask. I have been refused service once.

Here are several examples of creative, locally-oriented efforts to simplify voting and boost voter turnouts in the long term:

5 Ways to Make Voting Easier for Everyone in America | OurFuture.org by People's Action

We have on average 45% of Americans who don't vote in presidential elections. When it comes to the midterm that average goes up to approximately 60%. Who knows about just state and local elections. Some are designed to keep voter participation low. The last school board election my county had was in July which had a turnout of around 15%. The school board designed it that way to ensure who won was who they wanted to win. The school board is non-partisan, so it wasn't done for party politics.

I think we go out of our way to get people to vote today. We have early voting, absentee voting, voter registration drives and even the parties designate people to drive around to pick up people to go to the polling places. We have voter registration at the drivers licence bureau which are prohibited by law from asking any questions other than do you want to register to vote.

Yet, even with all of this, voter participation is way down from when everyone had to go to the polling place to vote on one day, election day. for example 1952 63.3% voted, 1956 60.6%, 1960 63.1%, 1964 61.9%, 1968 60.8% in presidential elections. We haven't hit 60% since. These percentages was when there was no early voting at all. Just one day, election day. Since then 2008 at 56.% was the highest, the lowest 1996 at 49.1%.

If all our breaking our backs to make voting easier hasn't worked, perhaps we doing it wrong. I do agree, civics needs to be taught more in school. Civics today hardly is at all. I think we fail to recognize the fact that people who don't want to vote, aren't going to vote no matter how easy we make it. Then again, should we be having people who don't give a dang deciding our elections?

My son who is 51 hasn't voted once in his life. The way he looks at it is that Washington is going to do what Washington wants to do regardless of what we want Washington to do. He doesn't care which party is in power, all he cares about is whether the Steelers won or lost. That is besides taking care of his family and making ends meet. Politics mean nothing to him. He could tell you who is president, but that would be the end of it.

Perhaps trying to get those 45% who aren't interested and don't give a dang to vote is a waste of time. Perhaps we should be trying to find a way since voting is a lot easier today than in the past to those who don't care, to care and get involved. But this has to come from our political leaders, from our schools. When the choices are portrayed as two devils against each other, who wants to go vote for a devil? Or as my son would put it, let the devils fight it out between themselves, just leave me alone.

Republicans NEED for less people to vote.

both the president and VP vote by mail.

That's a reason to have a "national mail in vote"? Back to reality. As the IC pointed out during the Russia hoax, hacking the US election would be extremely difficult, as it is actually 50 different elections. If we had 1 national system, much easier to hack. And do we suddenly trust postal workers not to "loose" a bunch of ballots? My wife is a retired letter carrier. She said "trust me, we don't want our election in the hand of the post office."
That being said, this is what personally believe: it's obvious the dems are desperate to change our voting this particular year is due to the apathy of Biden voters. The" enthusiasm gap". People that really aren't that exited about a candidate, are much more likely to vote by mail. If it's bad weather, long lines etc., somebody that feels kinda meh, isn't likely to endure that type of inconvenience. JMHO

That's a reason to have a "national mail in vote"? Back to reality. As the IC pointed out during the Russia hoax, hacking the US election would be extremely difficult, as it is actually 50 different elections. If we had 1 national system, much easier to hack. And do we suddenly trust postal workers not to "loose" a bunch of ballots? My wife is a retired letter carrier. She said "trust me, we don't want our election in the hand of the post office."
That being said, this is what personally believe: it's obvious the dems are desperate to change our voting this particular year is due to the apathy of Biden voters. The" enthusiasm gap". People that really aren't that exited about a candidate, are much more likely to vote by mail. If it's bad weather, long lines etc., somebody that feels kinda meh, isn't likely to endure that type of inconvenience. JMHO

this should address any and all intentional confusion.

Making Voting Easier For All In America

and, if not, i don't care.

in other words, lining people up to vote in person during a pandemic is ****ing stupid when there's another option that the president and vice president themselves used. unfounded my ass. the last time i voted in person, the line was wrapped both directions down the hall and around the building by 6:30 AM thanks to Republicans who limited polling places and will sure as **** do so this time. then we all took turns touching the same places on the same ten machines. that's a nightmare scenario during a pandemic.

Republicans strongly suspect that they'll lose if voting is simple and safe, so they're openly fighting against and trying to subvert those options. if they succeed, people will get sick, and they'll possibly lose anyway.

this is my final answer. refer to it if you are still confused. after that, remain confused.

peace.

I went to Home Depot this morning. They had 4 cashiers, and there was a single line out the door. It's like that all every day. I wore a mask, disinfected when I was done, and washed my hands when I got home. Same with grocery stores, Walmarts and gas stations. A lot more people shop and get gas than vote. We've been doing it that way for months now. Yet the # of infections continue to fall. People touching a ballot one day, can be done the same way we shop and get gas. Wear a mask, wash your hands or disinfect when done, and be on your way. Nothing confusing there.

I went to Home Depot this morning. They had 4 cashiers, and there was a single line out the door. It's like that all every day. I wore a mask, disinfected when I was done, and washed my hands when I got home. Same with grocery stores, Walmarts and gas stations. A lot more people shop and get gas than vote. We've been doing it that way for months now. Yet the # of infections continue to fall. People touching a ballot one day, can be done the same way we shop and get gas. Wear a mask, wash your hands or disinfect when done, and be on your way. Nothing confusing there.

this election isn't home ****ing depot on a Saturday morning. everything else is covered in the post that you quoted.

this election isn't home ****ing depot on a Saturday morning. everything else is covered in the post that you quoted.

Great insight. Here's what I think. There won't be a national "mail in" election, and both parties know it. Bet.

Great insight. Here's what I think. There won't be a national "mail in" election, and both parties know it. Bet.

I don't bet, but I will vote by mail, just like Mango and Renfield.

I don't bet, but I will vote by mail, just like Mango and Renfield.

There you have it. Democracy at work. We can vote just like the prez and veep if we choose.:peace

There you have it. Democracy at work. We can vote just like the prez and veep if we choose.:peace

Unless they are allowed to interfere with the system, as they are trying to do.

Register. Identify your polling place. Go there on election day or use an absentee ballot if you have a legitimate reason. Pretty f-ing easy.

I agree. Democrats should not be allowed to game the system with mass mail in voting.

Oh, yeah, kidnapping mail boxes and such. Forgot about that.

Projection

I'm not supporting mass mail in voting which will be a disaster. That would be you guys. Hell, they couldn't even make it work in NY and they want it done across the country? Of course, because they know it is ripe for fraud.

I'm not supporting mass mail in voting which will be a disaster. That would be you guys. Hell, they couldn't even make it work in NY and they want it done across the country? Of course, because they know it is ripe for fraud.

No, you're tacitly supporting voter suppression and election manipulation by deflecting for Republicans and their mad orange king. Who voted by mail.

If we can bank online safely then we certainly should be able to vote online safely.

If we can bank online safely then we certainly should be able to vote online safely.

Not necessarily .........

Paperless Electronic Voting

A bedrock of democracy is ensuring that every vote counts. There needs to be a transparent system of vote counting so that people can trust that their vote is counted as they cast it. Paperless electronic voting on touch screen machines does not provide confidence to ensure votes are counted the way voters intend.

The software on which votes are counted is protected as a corporate trade secret, and the software is so complex that if malicious code was embedded, no analysis could discover it. Further, because there is no voter verified paper record, it is not possible to audit the electronic vote for accuracy, nor is it possible to conduct an independent recount. This is a grotesquely designed, over-complicated, expensive system fraught with the potential for mistakes and undetected fraud. We should not trust the future of our nation to such malleable technology.

On July 23, 2003, the Johns Hopkins Information Security Institute reviewed the electronic voting system in Maryland and found that it had security far below even the most minimal security standards.

In the IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy 2004, four top computer scientists from the University of California, Johns Hopkins University, and Rice University similarly critiqued Diebold’s voting system:

"We found significant security flaws: voters can trivially cast multiple ballots with no built-in traceability, administrative functions can be performed by regular voters, and the threats posed by insiders such as poll workers, software developers, and janitors is even greater. Based on our analysis of the development environment, including change logs and comments, we believe that an appropriate level of programming discipline for a project such as this was not maintained. In fact, there appears to have been little quality control in the process.

"…The model where individual vendors write proprietary code to run our elections appears to be unreliable, and if we do not change the process of designing our voting systems, we will have no confidence that our election results will reflect the will of the electorate."

Computers are inherently subject to programming error, equipment malfunction, and malicious tampering. If we are to ensure fair and honest elections, and retain voter confidence in our democratic process, we need to ensure that there are no such questions. Therefore, it is crucial that any computerized voting system provide a voter-verifiable paper audit trail and that random audits of electronic votes be conducted on Election Day. Paperless electronic voting machines make it impossible to safeguard the integrity of our vote - thereby threatening the very foundation of our democracy.

Moreover, the seller of the machines, the Diebold Corporation, is a supplier of money to one of the major party candidates, George W. Bush. The CEO and top officers of Diebold are major contributors to the Bush campaign. A corporation with vested political interests should not have control over the votes of the populace.

Voters using Diebold machines should immediately report any suspected malfunctions or deficiencies at voting precincts to their Board of Elections. Voters should also urge their legislators to require a voter verified paper ballot trail for random audits and independent recounts. Count every vote!

No, you're tacitly supporting voter suppression and election manipulation by deflecting for Republicans and their mad orange king. Who voted by mail.

You don't seem to know the difference between absentee voting and indiscriminate mail in voting.

Back
Top Bottom