• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Make English the Official language of the U.S?

The underlying assumption here is that we would "Force" them to learn by requiring that immigrants demonstrate a proficiency in English in order to gain employment/green card. I say it's hard enough as it is already for them. They know they need to learn english to get ahead, so they'll do it anyway. Why give them this one more thing to worry about?

Mikkel said:
The underlying assumption here is that we would "Force" them to learn by requiring that immigrants demonstrate a proficiency in English in order to gain employment/green card. I say it's hard enough as it is already for them. They know they need to learn english to get ahead, so they'll do it anyway. Why give them this one more thing to worry about?

If that is the case, they would have to learn English from an outside source, obviously not in America b/c they can't get in. So, Mexicans would have to find an English course in Mexico? Illegal immigration would soar.

HTColeman said:
But if we were to do this, how could we make them learn, you can't make someone pay for a class.

I am not talking about illegal immigrants, i am talking about people that want to become US citizens. Illegal immigration is another problem. It is by definition a illegal act. If they want to become citizens they learn the language. If when it comes time for there visas/greencards if they don't have basic language skills there card is rejected and they are sent back to the point of origin. Again I am not asking for fluent use just a working knowledge with basic reading writing and communicati0on skills.

HTColeman said:
If that is the case, they would have to learn English from an outside source, obviously not in America b/c they can't get in. So, Mexicans would have to find an English course in Mexico? Illegal immigration would soar.

You just don't read a post. You read a few lines and go from there. I said in at least one post to qualify for visa/greencard. I am talking about living here not vacationing.

From the US Census Bureau
Nearly 1-in-5 Speak a Foreign Language at Home;
Most Also Speak English 'Very Well,' Census Bureau Reports

Nearly 1-in-5 people, or 47 million U.S. residents age 5 and older,
spoke a language other than English at home in 2000, the U.S. Census
Bureau said today. That was an increase of 15 million people since 1990.

The report, Language Use and English-Speaking Ability: 2000, [PDF] said
55 percent of the people who spoke a language other than English at home
also reported they spoke English "very well." Combined with those who
spoke only English at home, 92 percent of the population age 5 and over
had no difficulty speaking English.

Calm2Chaos said:
You just don't read a post. You read a few lines and go from there. I said in at least one post to qualify for visa/greencard. I am talking about living here not vacationing.

Who said anything about vacation? Don't assume plz. I read all the posts, but the fact of the matter is if they have to know basic english for a visa/greencard they would have to learn it from somewhere, correct?

"I believe that if you are selling me a milkshake, a pack of cigarettes, a newspaper or a hotel room, you must do it in English!" "As a matter of fact, if you want to be an American citizen, you should have to speak English!"-Andy Rooney

Here is one idea out there! :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Calm2Chaos said:
If you can not speak english you should not be living and or working in this country. You don't have to be fluent in english. I'm talking about having a basic understanding of the language so you can communicate with people. You can read and understand the world around you and it's laws. If your not willing to put a minimal effort into this I see no reason you should live or work here.

So YES .. English should be the US official language

In the English language it's "you're" which is the contraction for you are. You're confusing it with "your" which is a possessive.
English is always with a capital E in the English language.

Let look at ain't, shall we.

I ain't gonna do that.
He ain't gonna do that.
We ain't gonna do that.

My point? Ain't ain't an official part of the language, but we use it all the time. Some times I tell my girls, "I ain't gonna sit here and listen to you say ain't. Then they say "why". I say, "Don't ask me why", and so they rephrase and say "how come bla bla bla". My kids are just damn smart.

Urethra, (isn't that the name of the urine tube? no matter) English is a precise and hard language to master. My point? If you want to get onto someone about "they're and their and there", we all make mistakes, me, teacher, of the massive brain included, makes mistakes. Do you want me to go over your (is that the right form there) posts and do the same?

Thank you urine tube, you've (oh my is that right) given me a new idea for a TT (Top Ten).

There's a difference between using a colloquialism like "ain't" and not knowing the difference between your and you're. I've found it humorous that the people espousing that English to be an official language are the ones that are struggling with it in their posts as well.

HTColeman said:
Who said anything about vacation? Don't assume plz. I read all the posts, but the fact of the matter is if they have to know basic english for a visa/greencard they would have to learn it from somewhere, correct?

Yes they would. And while they are HERE applying for them. You actually have to live here to get a greencard. They have to take some sort of class or classes to aquire the verbal and written skills needed. THEY would pay for it. If they can't then guess they need to borrow some money. You need to be living in this country before you can get your greencard or your citizenship. Your not imigrating from another country and becoming a citizen in 24 hours. There is a time frame between the two and should be a limit. You take the classes learn the language and poof your ready to go

shuamort said:
There's a difference between using a colloquialism like "ain't" and not knowing the difference between your and you're. I've found it humorous that the people espousing that English to be an official language are the ones that are struggling with it in their posts as well.

You assume he doesn't know the difference, could it possibly be, dare I say it, a.....TYPO!

Mikkel said:

Because they aren't learning it. English for a lot of immigrants is not a language they use. It does not even come into play until the next generation is born and they are raised with the ability to learn english from the begining

Calm2Chaos said:
Yes they would. And while they are HERE applying for them. You actually have to live here to get a greencard. They have to take some sort of class or classes to aquire the verbal and written skills needed. THEY would pay for it. If they can't then guess they need to borrow some money. You need to be living in this country before you can get your greencard or your citizenship. Your not imigrating from another country and becoming a citizen in 24 hours. There is a time frame between the two and should be a limit. You take the classes learn the language and poof your ready to go

So we provide free public education for everyone, but if you want to live here you have to pay for your own English classes, okay. Where are they going to borrow money from? I think it is a given that many of the Latin immigrants are extremely poor and don't know anyone in America. If someone walked up to you and asked for money to take an English class, of course they would have to first find a translator, would you just give them the money? It would be nice to make everyone learn English, but it is unrealistic. We don't have the funds, they don't have the funds, and no one is going to do it for free.

Calm2Chaos said:
Because they aren't learning it.
I'm sure you have proof of that.
Calm2Chaos said:
English for a lot of immigrants is not a language they use. It does not even come into play until the next generation is born and they are raised with the ability to learn english from the begining
So the system is working then. Good to hear.

Calm2Chaos said:

So now they have to pay to immigrate to America? That just seems... unamerican to me. It's like a tariff on people. I thought conservatives were for free trade...

The fact of the matter is, those who learn english will get ahead, and those who don't won't. Why do YOU care so much?

shuamort said:
I'm sure you have proof of that.
So the system is working then. Good to hear.

So an entire generation is not learning nor attempting to learn the language. And you consider this to be working? You have such low expectations... Good to hear

probably 90% of the people who immigrate to our country learn english either before or after they get here. The other 10% doesn't. So what? they won't get good jobs and that will be that. Shuamort's point is that even if the 10% of the 1st generation immigrants don't learn english, 100% of their children will. He's saying there isn't a widespread epidemic of non-english speakers and that isn't going to change anytime soon.

Calm2Chaos said:
So an entire generation is not learning nor attempting to learn the language. And you consider this to be working? You have such low expectations... Good to hear
Thanks for the strawman and the false argument.
1) I never said "an entire generation is not learning nor attempting to". That's a strawman. One I never said. Nor would ever agree with.
2) I'm still waiting for your proof that they "aren't learning it".
3) Moreover, I don't have any expectations for people to learn English. It'd be great if they did, but still, I'm a multi-lingual guy. And since the USA doesn't have an official language, I don't see the problem.

Mikkel said:
probably 90% of the people who immigrate to our country learn english either before or after they get here. The other 10% doesn't. So what? they won't get good jobs and that will be that. Shuamort's point is that even if the 10% of the 1st generation immigrants don't learn english, 100% of their children will. He's saying there isn't a widespread epidemic of non-english speakers and that isn't going to change anytime soon.

Do you have nubers representing this? If its not such a big deal why is the governement spending 100's of millions on multi lingual forms and pamphlets. And you know what. even if it is not that big of a number. LEARN OUR DAMM LANGUAGE.. Your living here for gods sake. I tell ya what. If I move to your country to live I promise I will learn your language.

But the point is, why does it matter to you so much? I doubt it is because you just want to help them succeed. Not understanding English is thier struggle, not yours. Have you ever seen an American CEO that couldn't speak English?

shuamort said:
Thanks for the strawman and the false argument.
1) I never said "an entire generation is not learning nor attempting to". That's a strawman. One I never said. Nor would ever agree with.
2) I'm still waiting for your proof that they "aren't learning it".
3) Moreover, I don't have any expectations for people to learn English. It'd be great if they did, but still, I'm a multi-lingual guy. And since the USA doesn't have an official language, I don't see the problem.

The first generation is the one not learning english, the original immigrants. You can hear this by walking through any such small community. The children are bi lingual but the parents have made no attempt or do not want to learn the language.

The proof I use I hear and read in the news about how much is spent on printing multilingual forms and pamphlets. Employing linguist in various city and state government positions because people can't communicate. Employing spanish speaking teachers because the students can't speak english.

And I don't see a problem with requiring immigrants to learn the language no matter how many languages you speak.

HTColeman said:
But the point is, why does it matter to you so much? I doubt it is because you just want to help them succeed. Not understanding English is thier struggle, not yours. Have you ever seen an American CEO that couldn't speak English?

Because it cost the governement time and money. It creates confusion and crime. If you can't speak or read the language how do you know the laws. I understand you don't think its a big deal if they do then why is it a big deal to require it? Your going to live and make your life here.

Back
Top Bottom