• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Make English the Official language of the U.S?

nefarious_plot said:
proofreading ..lame...as if that shows anything but somebody with wayyyyy to much time. Divertion form topic...lack of abiltiy to respond inteligently.

Typing doesnt make your point nor make you look inteligent.
Your typos, syntax errors, and grammatical problems are not buttressing your cause. You are supporting forced knowledge of a language that you're butchering in here. Since the language is germane, your usage of said language is also. Moreover, you're ignoring all points made previously and at ad nauseum in this thread. You're then stating your case while dismissing the pre-proffered knowledge without a proper rebuttal. Tsk tsk.

nefarious_plot said:
This si alme diversion from the topic and not relevant.
I can only guess what some of your words and sentences mean. Feel free to address points made directly and with proof to refute them. Otherwise you're just spinning wheels.

robin said:
All the muslims I see on TV here in UK speak English. I'm afraid they see themselves as Muslim 1st & British second whether they speak English or not.

If they are Asian or Arabic as many moslems are how can they be "British"?:confused:

Nice to see the colonials all arguing about the "benefits" of multiculturalism!!!!
Let me know when you can think of any!

nefarious_plot said:
proofreading ..lame...as if that shows anything but somebody with wayyyyy to much time. Divertion form topic...lack of abiltiy to respond inteligently.

Typing doesnt make your point nor make you look inteligent.

Unfortunately, sometimes your posts are so poorly typed, it is an impediment to comprehension.

tr1414 said:
Want to fight terror? Speak English. Here's a modest suggestion for helping America fight terror: make English the official language of the United States.

For the last few decades we have allowed a multiculturalism mindset to dominate immigration and government to the point where assimilation is no longer necessary. Instead of "melting pot" America, we have become a nation of separate ethnicities "celebrating their differences" - in as many languages as government deems necessary so as not to "burden" immigrants with learning American culture or customs.

It is bad enough to have completely autonomous communities, which have purposefully separated themselves from mainstream culture. That in and of itself has the potential to foster terrorist activity. But the idea that government would aid that separatism by providing immigrants with several different languages for conducting government business (even voting) is pure folly.

In London, we are seeing one of the byproducts of elevating separatism over assimilation: homegrown terror cells and a Muslim community which, according to surveys, has little or no allegiance to the country they call home.

Making English our official language may not be a panacea for terror - but it's a good first step.
xxx
GREAT idea! Make English the offical language of the U.S.! Best idea I have heard in a while.

OOPS, I forgot!!! We tried to make English our offical language just a short time ago but our REPUBLICAN CONTROLLED CONGRESS shut that idea down real fast.

taxpayer said:
xxx
GREAT idea! Make English the offical language of the U.S.! Best idea I have heard in a while.

OOPS, I forgot!!! We tried to make English our offical language just a short time ago but our REPUBLICAN CONTROLLED CONGRESS shut that idea down real fast.

Do you have a source for this?

Absolutely !
But the politically correct have forced this on us.

Our nation should have but one official/government language.
And I detest all this triple languaging used on retail sale products !
This is wrong, insulting and demeaning for both the American and the Mexican and the French man...

IMO, the anti-terrorism "war" has little or nothing to do with this...
And enclaves of foreign speakers really mean nothing- eventually these people do learn English - or used to.....
The way things are going, if the Spanish as the first language continues, we will become a Spanish speaking nation within a hundred years, there will be more Mexicans here than Europeans/Americans...
And Mexico will have finally won the war of 1848 !!

We must choose English and do away with Spanish and French....

earthworm said:
Absolutely !
But the politically correct have forced this on us.

Our nation should have but one official/government language.
And I detest all this triple languaging used on retail sale products !
This is wrong, insulting and demeaning for both the American and the Mexican and the French man...

We must choose English and do away with Spanish and French....

The primary reason for trilingual packaging is NAFTA. Many products made in the US are sold in Mexico or Quebec, which use Spanish and French respectively. I find nothing demeaning about that. Have you ever seen the packaging on products made in the EU? I have seen many with six or more languages.

Spanish is the number two langugae in the U.S., but outside of elderly people in Louisiana and northern New England, there aren't many native French speakers left in the United States. I agree that the U.S. should choose English as the official language in the 48 contiguous states (exceptions should be made for Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico), but that wouldn't eliminate the trilingual packaging.

To quote ludahai :The primary reason for trilingual packaging is NAFTA. Many products made in the US are sold in Mexico or Quebec, which use Spanish and French respectively. I find nothing demeaning about that. Have you ever seen the packaging on products made in the EU? I have seen many with six or more languages.

Spanish is the number two language in the U.S., but outside of elderly people in Louisiana and northern New England, there aren't many native French speakers left in the United States. I agree that the U.S. should choose English as the official language in the 48 contiguous states (exceptions should be made for Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico), but that wouldn't eliminate the trilingual packaging.

Then the situation in Europe is even more ludicrous than the rather simple one we have in America.

Please first place yourself in the position of the Frenchman. What do you think goes thru his mind when he reads the product description and he has to filter out the other languages and that his language is second or third in prominence..
This situation is so ridiculous, and can be made a whole lot better so easily..

BTW, I am also against small print..
If it is worth saying, let it be readable and audible, otherwise lets have silence..

Back
Top Bottom