• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Majority of Americans Now Feel Iraq War Wrong

TimmyBoy

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Last edited by a moderator:
TimmyBoy said:
Looks like the American people are finally beginning to wise up:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051025/pl_afp/iraquspoll_051025142356

And as the indictments are handed down, people will investigate what caused us to go to war and be reminded (or learn for those who have not educated themselves) of the exaggerations of the imminency of the threat Iraq posed to us. Yeah, where's that "mushroom cloud"? :lol: :lol: :lol:

[MOD MODE]
Please do NOT post entire articles. Try to limit you quotes to about 10% of the original.

As Per Forum Rules

8. Copyrighted Material - All material posted from copyrighted material MUST contain a link to the original work.
Please do not post entire articles. Proper format is to paraphrase the contents of an article and/or post relevant excerpts and then link to the rest. Best bet is to always reference the original source.
Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 107 http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html
[/MOD MODE]

Timmyboy-Looks like the American people are finally beginning to wise up:

Quote:
Majority of Americans now feel Iraq war was wrong: poll

WASHINGTON (AFP) - For the first time, a majority of Americans believe the Iraq war was the "wrong thing to do", according to a poll published in The Wall Street Journal.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051025...l_051025142356
What do you mean by "wise up". Is that your way of saying "Finally my propagandists are doing a good job!" :lol:
It's so nice to know, that the media played a role in this defeat. Along with a couple of propagandists on the hill. Congratulations on brainwashing America! But you forgot one. ME! I would suggest you to DEFEND Saddam in trial. You know be his lawyer. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
stsburns said:
It's so nice to know, that the media played a role in this defeat. Along with a couple of propagandists on the hill. Congratulations on brainwashing America! But you forgot one. ME! I would suggest you to DEFEND Saddam in trial. You know be his lawyer.

What are the odds that the American people are more than mere sheeple?
What's the possibility that the American electorate can make decisions on their own?

Is it certain that the electorate is a bunch of chumps?

Did the actions of Team Bush have any bearing on this current state affairs in the US re the invasion of Iraq?

Haha, man you guys are too funny. I love how you always bring up these biased polls and approval ratings. Those are not the polls that matter. When are you going to learn that Bush does not care about the media's biased polls. When are you going to learn that Bush does not let the media persuade him. When are you going to learn that elections are the polls that count and democrats are not winning elections. How many years now has the liberal media been showing 'polls' about our President. How many polls have supposedly shown that Bush is doing a terrible job, the war in Iraq is a lie, our economy is being ruined, and everything is going to crap. Despite all of those 'polls', Bush has remained consistent.

But, to help you guys save face, I will get passed that. Its funny how you think this war was the wrong thing to do. I can't believe you guys are so easy to prove wrong.

You don't remember when Clinton was in office??? Clinton said HIMSELF in 1998 that Saddam IS trying to get WMD's and that if he does get them, HE WILL USE THEM against us. CLINTON said that. Let me tell you this again, CLINTON said that. And the media, the same media that is saying Bush lied, reported information backing Clinton up. The reported information about stock piles of weapons etc. . . And this was back in 1998.

None of this started with Bush. This started back when Clinton was in office. And now the media is saying Bush lied? So what does that tell us? Well, it only leaves us with a couple options. It either means the media lied back in 1998,99,and 00. Or, it means they didn't lie back then in 98, and Iraq WAS a threat to us, and so it means they are lying now about Iraq. Because they are going against what they said before.

And what else does that tell us? That the media does lie. So who's to say they are telling the truth now? Just look at their reporting during Katrina. The media purposely reported false information. They said over 10,000 people died. We know now the number is around 500. They said people were getting raped, and there was murders being committed everywhere, we know now that was a lie.

So why in the world should we believe anything they say about Bush or the war? We have proof that they have an agenda against our country. We have proof that they lie. Your whole basis of information is built on nothing. This is too easy. Keep talking about your 'polls', keep talking about your approval ratings, in the meantime, you will still be losing elections and will still be losing the respect of the American people.

Actually I did find that information.

"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program." - President Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction." - Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002

"I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force-- if necessary-- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security." - Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weep on stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members. It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons." - Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1000604/posts

Don't you just love politics! :mrgreen:

JKDC,

If you feel up to having a fact-based debate re the invasion of Iraq, please feel free to drop by any of these threads:
So, you know, whenever you feel froggy.

In the mean time, I surprised you don't realize the importance of the electorate in between elections.

stsburns said:

What's you point?
If a Democrat says it, it must be true?

The Pro-War party has members who nominally belong to more than one party. BFD.

You're invited to participate in any of the above mentioned threads as well. You know, if you feel froggy.

Simon W. Moon said:
What's you point?
If a Democrat says it, it must be true?

The Pro-War party has members who nominally belong to more than one party. BFD.

You're invited to participate in any of the above mentioned threads as well. You know, if you feel froggy.
No it's just amazing that a few years ago Dems were all over the guy, trying to rid of him. Now we did get rid of him, and now they want to defend him. Ironic don't you think?

TimmyBoy said:
Looks like the American people are finally beginning to wise up:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051025/pl_afp/iraquspoll_051025142356

Ya think..? Huh huh..or have YOU conveniently forgotten all the New York Times articles written by MANY others besides Judith Miller in 1998 who thought America should go to war because of Sadaam's lust for WMD's?

Your selective memory BETRAY's you, as do your fellow democrat leaders who also suffer from amnesia.

Bush spent 14 months making his case for war in Iraq, & had the VERY same intel on it that the democrats were privy to !

This whole Valeri Plame investigation is not about getting justice for her; it is really a lame as.s attempt to use the media, & joe Wilson's lies to destroy Bush's presidency by way of the domino effect as was "watergate" of Bush lied, Cheney lied...everybody is a liar shyte to help empower the democratic party because they cannot win elections without some phoney scandal being invented!

That is ALL it REALLY is, & nothing more! YEP....:lol:

I am merely hoping that indictments are forthcoming to Rove, & Cheney so that any good attorney will expose Wilson for all of his known lies, & to see him torn apart while being cross-examined because he has been nothing short of a disingenuine hack for the democratic party from day one in this phoney attempt to destroy the presidency of Bush!

Last edited:
None of those quotes claim that Hussein actually HAD stockpiles of WMDs, which is what Bush said. None of those quotes claim that we actually know where they are located, which is what Rumsfeld said. Those quotes all say esentially the same thing: Sadaam Hussein is trying to get WMDs, and IF he got them it would be a bad thing. Nobody would argue that WMDs in Sadaam Hussein's posession would be a safe situation. The question is, did he actually have "stockpiles" of them? Bush said he did, but they haven't turned up yet. So people think he must have lied.

In Bush's defense (omg), the lack of evidence is not proof of non-existance. Check out the 30 or so Russian Mig fighter jets that were discovered 2 years ago, buried underground in an area where U.S. troops had been operating for 12 weeks without knowing anything was buried there.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/sandplanes.asp

It is true, many like myself are just now realizing the dangers that are being ignored, Iran and Syria, and how the war in Iraq is just a distraction from the real enemy. I still agree that Iraq needed to be freed from the brutal dictatorship, but it could have waited until the real terrorist supporting nations were dealt with. I am also very aware of the mission statement, and how we were to attack these radical governments before they aquire WMD's! Well......while we were invading Iraq, the real threat was continuing to enrich their uranium, right before our very eyes, how could we be so foolish. Now if this is all some part of a much broader plan, to position ourselves to attack this enemy, then that would be fine with me, but it does not seem to be the case.

I am extremely angry, and very much concerned that we are allowing these countries to aid the insurgents, and to help kill our good men and women over there. They are also killing innocent Iraqi's, and it seems we could have addressed these enemies first, then many would have been spared. I realize this is mostly in retrospect, but the bright minds we elect, they should have seen this coming. I think it is apparative that we shift the focus on Iran and Syria, and let's move this madness where it belongs, to their towns and city's! let them reep what they sew, and show them what the support of terrorist groups like Hamas will bring them, Iraq's had enough of that lesson.

Hey, you know what I found out today? I know this is off topic, but I thought it was interesting.

Do you guys remember the whole Natalee holloway case? Well, guess what, she was never in Aruba. Yep, you heard right. That girl was never in Aruba. Just think about it. How long have we been looking for her? And we haven't found anything. That means she was never there.

The whole investigation was based on a lie. Natalee was never in Aruba. The police that are involved in the investigation lied to us. This whole investigation was based on a lie. All of the police and detectives involved lied to us and they should be prosecuted.

We need to STOP the investigation right now. We need to pull out of Aruba. This whole thing was a lie. If she was really in Aruba we would have found her by now. Polls are starting to show that people want this investigation to stop. We need to pull out now. We need to send our police and detectives home. We need to pull out of Aruba right now because this whole thing was a lie. She was never in Aruba.
-------------------------------------------------------------

By now, most of you have probably caught on to what is going on. I am taking the same type of thinking that liberals are using for the war in Iraq, and applying it to another real world situation.

It sounds absurd doesn't it? It makes you say, "no way does someone believe that." But, actually, the liberals are using that SAME kind of thinking in Iraq.

Doesn't make any sense does it?

Who cares what the american people think? Its a little too late for that now. They shouldn't have mindlessly followed their leader about the war in Iraq and now that they are like 'omg looks like I was wrong wtf' its too late. Bush's polls are at like 38 percent? Doesn't mean a god damn thing if they were at 2 percent cause we are still stuck with that idiot thanks to those mindless bastards that think because their president says something it must be true.

I wonder if once the american people realized that their children would have to pay for this war that they started to wise up then? Still doesn't matter.

JKD COBRA said:
Hey, you know what I found out today?

Argument by analogy is almost always very weak and useless except for an audience who already agrees.

How long you start the fact-based debate you've touted?

Check page 1, we already got the facts covered ;)

You better talk with your buds on the left about analogies then, because they are the ones that use it the large majority of the time. After one of my first post's on this site, someone tried to use an anology against me.

But you never answered my question, does it make sense to use the same type of thinking libs use for Iraq to another real world scenerio? Nope, it doesn't.

Another thing I better bring up.

You guys (liberals) don't understand the difference between a manager and a leader. A lot of people think they are the same thing.

Our President is a leader. And a leader does what he thinks is right for his country. A good leader doesnt let the polls make decision's for him and he doesn't let the media persuade him.

Not too many people realize this, but most the time, a leader has to do things that his people will not want to do. But thats why he is the leader. A good leader does NOT only do what is easy, or what makes everyone happy. A good leader, once he knows the right thing to do, will do it. He will get grief. He will get complaints. But in the end, he will have done the right thing.

Take Donald Trump for example. Do you think that he takes a vote from all of his employees and asks them, "Do you guys like me?" "Do you guys think I am doing a good job?" "Do you guys think I am a nice person?"

No. He does not say that. He has a goal, he knows what needs to be done and he does it. People may not like it, but in the end, it is the right thing to do.

So having people not like Bush means nothing. Having people un-supportive of the war also means nothing. It means that we have a very strong and consistent President that finishes what he starts. We don't have a weak, self consience president who is afraid of having people not like him. We don't have a president who gets scared when the times are tough, and quits before the job is done. As you guys try to prove whats bad about Bush, you accidentally prove what is good about him. And unfortunately, you have someone like me who sees that and calls you out on it.

JKD COBRA said:
Haha, man you guys are too funny. I love how you always bring up these biased polls and approval ratings. Those are not the polls that matter. When are you going to learn that Bush does not care about the media's biased polls. When are you going to learn that Bush does not let the media persuade him. When are you going to learn that elections are the polls that count and democrats are not winning elections. How many years now has the liberal media been showing 'polls' about our President. How many polls have supposedly shown that Bush is doing a terrible job, the war in Iraq is a lie, our economy is being ruined, and everything is going to crap. Despite all of those 'polls', Bush has remained consistent.

But, to help you guys save face, I will get passed that. Its funny how you think this war was the wrong thing to do. I can't believe you guys are so easy to prove wrong.

You don't remember when Clinton was in office??? Clinton said HIMSELF in 1998 that Saddam IS trying to get WMD's and that if he does get them, HE WILL USE THEM against us. CLINTON said that. Let me tell you this again, CLINTON said that. And the media, the same media that is saying Bush lied, reported information backing Clinton up. The reported information about stock piles of weapons etc. . . And this was back in 1998.

None of this started with Bush. This started back when Clinton was in office. And now the media is saying Bush lied? So what does that tell us? Well, it only leaves us with a couple options. It either means the media lied back in 1998,99,and 00. Or, it means they didn't lie back then in 98, and Iraq WAS a threat to us, and so it means they are lying now about Iraq. Because they are going against what they said before.

And what else does that tell us? That the media does lie. So who's to say they are telling the truth now? Just look at their reporting during Katrina. The media purposely reported false information. They said over 10,000 people died. We know now the number is around 500. They said people were getting raped, and there was murders being committed everywhere, we know now that was a lie.

So why in the world should we believe anything they say about Bush or the war? We have proof that they have an agenda against our country. We have proof that they lie. Your whole basis of information is built on nothing. This is too easy. Keep talking about your 'polls', keep talking about your approval ratings, in the meantime, you will still be losing elections and will still be losing the respect of the American people.

Cobra, ..excellent post!!:2wave:

stsburns said:

"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program." - President Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction." - Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002

"I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force-- if necessary-- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security." - Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weep on stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members. It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons." - Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002

GREAT POST, ..but of course the democrats have amnesia when it serves their purpose,... Huh huh! The media, & the democrats are hoping that only the "ignorant, & uninformed" don't know about their supporet FOR the war!

Wait a second, ..did I describe most democratic party voters or what?:2razz:

JKD COBRA said:
Hey, you know what I found out today? I know this is off topic, but I thought it was interesting.

Do you guys remember the whole Natalee holloway case? Well, guess what, she was never in Aruba. Yep, you heard right. That girl was never in Aruba. Just think about it. How long have we been looking for her? And we haven't found anything. That means she was never there.

The whole investigation was based on a lie. Natalee was never in Aruba. The police that are involved in the investigation lied to us. This whole investigation was based on a lie. All of the police and detectives involved lied to us and they should be prosecuted.

We need to STOP the investigation right now. We need to pull out of Aruba. This whole thing was a lie. If she was really in Aruba we would have found her by now. Polls are starting to show that people want this investigation to stop. We need to pull out now. We need to send our police and detectives home. We need to pull out of Aruba right now because this whole thing was a lie. She was never in Aruba.
-------------------------------------------------------------

By now, most of you have probably caught on to what is going on. I am taking the same type of thinking that liberals are using for the war in Iraq, and applying it to another real world situation.

It sounds absurd doesn't it? It makes you say, "no way does someone believe that." But, actually, the liberals are using that SAME kind of thinking in Iraq.

Excellent analogy, but you have to remember one thing: Liberals cannot help themselves.

They have always championed causes for American adversaries since the days of Viet-Nam war. To them, America is always evil unless their candidates control the whitehouse.

For them America is always guilty, always hateful, & always exploiting everybody else out of greed, (punitive liberalism) and for them it is always about YESTERDAY!;)

JKD COBRA said:
But you never answered my question, does it make sense to use the same type of thinking libs use for Iraq to another real world scenerio? Nope, it doesn't.
Your analogy is flawed and inapplicable. Next question.

Simon W. Moon said:
Your analogy is flawed and inapplicable. Next question.
Haha, alright, nice cop out. It's ok, I will let you leave that question un-answered. :doh

Simon's right that question doesn't make any sense and EVEN if it did make sense it would probably just be a set up for you to rant about somethign else.

aps said:
And as the indictments are handed down, people will investigate what caused us to go to war and be reminded (or learn for those who have not educated themselves) of the exaggerations of the imminency of the threat Iraq posed to us. Yeah, where's that "mushroom cloud"? :lol: :lol: :lol:

How about posting a statement from the Bush administration saying that an attack was imminent. Yes I know the leftest press created that myth and a lot of people believe it. Do you? And that is one reason many people don't support the war. The left has enaged in a very loud propaganda campaign of outright lies concerning what Bush said or didn't say and then claim he lied.

Back
Top Bottom