• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Major League Baseball 2019

It Was quite the 7th inning. :mrgreen: First manager ejection in 23 years as you just heard. Game under protest.

Far more egregious to me was Sunday night’s home plate umpire, AFTER the booing and chants at you know who, both against the hitters and pitchers of the Nats. (Thinking of Rob Drake)

Martinez got himself way too upset. I hope he'll be okay.

Game 7 looks likely

Martinez got himself way too upset. I hope he'll be okay.

Agreed. It wasn’t a good look. It didn’t help the Astros pitcher either. We’ve never seen the home team lose the first 6 games.

Getting Verlander out of the game after five was huge for the Nats. Stressful innings in the 1st, 3rd and 5th.

Just so you know, I don’t cotton to carrying bats to first, by both teams. I’m still sad at what we saw to my favorite sport on Sunday.

Too bad we won’t see the total focus on Strasburg and Rendon.

It Was quite the 7th inning. :mrgreen: First manager ejection in 23 years as you just heard. Game under protest.

Far more egregious to me was Sunday night’s home plate umpire, AFTER the booing and chants at you know who, both against the hitters and pitchers of the Nats. (Thinking of Rob Drake)

He's been doing a great job.

All's well that ends well. Game seven tomorrow.

I wonder if in ANY sport that uses the 7 games series playoffs(MLB,NBA,NHL) if there was a series that went 7 games and the home teams lost every home game?

If anyone sees an article about that today, please post a link.

I wonder if in ANY sport that uses the 7 games series playoffs(MLB,NBA,NHL) if there was a series that went 7 games and the home teams lost every home game?

I know, right? You almost have to go into tonight’s game saying Nats are favored to win.

They noted that during the game last night. There hasn't been. They said not even 6 games. Amazing.

From your second link (ESPN):

Baseball can be a maddening sport, too slow or too boring or too so many other things, but damn if it isn't the most beautiful sport in the world when played at the level the Astros and Nationals did Tuesday night in Washington's 7-2 victory at Minute Maid Park. Want to sell a new generation of fans on the sport? Show them Game 6, which hoarded so much of what its predecessors lacked. Let them marvel at Stephen Strasburg and suffer with Justin Verlander. Watch them scream at the illogic of an interference call and huzzah at Nationals manager Dave Martinez raging against the machine. Let them take their bats for a walk like Alex Bregman and Juan Soto. Insist they revel in Anthony Rendon's somnambulant eminence. Baseball is not slow or boring or so many other things when it delivers a game worthy of its stage.

Trea Turner was out and the call was right.

He clearly interfered. It wasn't even close.

The call was correct. But the rule and interpretation of the rule is stupid. And Martinez just had a heart problem a few months back. He needs to calm down.

The call was correct. But the rule and interpretation of the rule is stupid. And Martinez just had a heart problem a few months back. He needs to calm down.

Hard to see what else TT could have done. He ran straight to the bag. As Big Papi pointed out post-game, first basemen are taught to take that catch into the runner to try to get that call.

As Kyle Schwarber pointed out, the rule is stupid because first base is in fair territory. Baseball should be like softball and have an 'orange bag' to the right of first base in foul territory.

hollywood-kwikrelease-double1st.jpg

But the call was correct, Thank God it didnt matter.

Hard to see what else TT could have done. He ran straight to the bag. As Big Papi pointed out post-game, first basemen are taught to take that catch into the runner to try to get that call.

I know.. The 1st base bag is in fair territory, but the 'lane/lines' to 1st base are in foul territory. So to run straight across the bag the runner actually has to run where Turner was running, in fair territory, which is not in the 'lane' to 1st base.

So technically the call last night was correct, BUT there was no intent by Turner to interfere with the throw, so it was a stupid call.

As Kyle Schwarber pointed out, the rule is stupid because first base is in fair territory. Baseball should be like softball and have an 'orange bag' to the right of first base in foul territory.

hollywood-kwikrelease-double1st.jpg

But the call was correct, Thank God it didnt matter.

Yep beat me by a minute... lol

It doesn't really matter if it is intentional or not, the call is the same. Interference is interference in this case as when A-Rod did it against the Red Sox.

I know.. The 1st base bag is in fair territory, but the 'lane/lines' to 1st base are in foul territory. So to run straight across the bag the runner actually has to run where Turner was running, in fair territory, which is not in the 'lane' to 1st base.

So technically the call last night was correct, BUT there was no intent by Turner to interfere with the throw, so it was a stupid call.

As with so many of these calls, including in other sports, especially spurred on by them happening in postseason; we’ll see this rule discussed in the off-season.

Far more important next year will be the relief pitcher rule change. It’s TBD how the pitching rosters will be affected. The limit of mound visits by the catcher was a great rule change, IMO.

To me, this series has obviously shown that the Nationals can be a great American League team, with the DH. It’s also shown that the Astros can be a great National League team, with pitchers batting. Pretty cool.

As with so many of these calls, including in other sports, especially spurred on by them happening in postseason; we’ll see this rule discussed in the off-season.

Far more important next year will be the relief pitcher rule change. It’s TBD how the pitching rosters will be affected. The limit of mound visits by the catcher was a great rule change, IMO.

To me, this series has obviously shown that the Nationals can be a great American League team, with the DH. It’s also shown that the Astros can be a great National League team, with pitchers batting. Pretty cool.

5-6 years ago the Astros were a NL team.

But yeah that kind of call wasn't made all year, so then they make it in the 6th game of the WS? Weird!!

Back
Top Bottom