• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Made A Meatloaf Last Night and.....

Back when we bought our first quarter of land we was broke, broke, broke. Our thanksgivings used a wild turkey smoked in a vertical smoker. Feral hogs have kinda ruined that, I surely miss those days...

We may have been broke but we weren't poor....:peace

I've made some excellent bacon in my smoker from wild hog, there is at least 10 pounds of it on a hog. Brining is easy, I've developed a recipe for brining that uses honey, salt, black pepper and bourbon. Brining just takes a couple of minutes. I vacuum seal it and put it in the fridge for about a week and then smoke it.

I've made some excellent bacon in my smoker from wild hog, there is at least 10 pounds of it on a hog. Brining is easy, I've developed a recipe for brining that uses honey, salt, black pepper and bourbon. Brining just takes a couple of minutes. I vacuum seal it and put it in the fridge for about a week and then smoke it.

Things that make me go MMMMM ahhhh I mean Hmmmmmm.... :)

Things that make me go MMMMM ahhhh I mean Hmmmmmm.... :)

Yeah, it's not always about the money, I like to do things like that. I could buy food to stock the pantry with, I prefer to buy or otherwise acquire the supplies (grow it, hunt it, whatever) and make it myself. Noticed yesterday I'm getting low on chicken stock, time to make another batch. It's cheap and easy but there is some labor involved, the majority in the filtering process. Honestly it would be cheaper to just buy it, but mine tastes a lot better and doesn't have anywhere near the salt content. My pasta sauces are the same way. I buy 25 pound boxes of tomatoes and make about 6-7 quarts of sauce from them. It was nearly cost effective when I could grow them but now I live in the mountains and the deer are thick, they will strip those plants to nothing and it would cost much more to build a prison camp fence to keep them out, so I buy locally grow stuff at farmer's markets. Hey, those people need to make a living too. My last 25 pound box cost me $18. The last step before canning the sauce is to taste it and add final seasoning. The last batch is labeled simply "Perfect" and it is, plus it is so much more enjoyable knowing every ingredient is fresh and is supposed to be in there.

That's what's great about meat loaf... you can mix and match ingredients. You could do steak sauce instead of ketchup, for example.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I use brown mushroom gravy on top. Yummy! That does it, I'm going to HAVE to make meatloaf one night this week now. :mrgreen: Every time I come to this thread I crave meatloaf!

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I use brown mushroom gravy on top. Yummy! That does it, I'm going to HAVE to make meatloaf one night this week now. :mrgreen: Every time I come to this thread I crave meatloaf!
I love gravy on meat loaf as well.

I'm a sucker for Heinz 57 steak sauce, and considered using it tonight instead of ketchup, but went with the ketchup.

This was the first recipe I've ever seen that called for brown sugar, and it gave it a distinctive and good taste.

Oh, yeah, our resistance is falling, one person at a time. :lol:

I love gravy on meat loaf as well.

I'm a sucker for Heinz 57 steak sauce, and considered using it tonight instead of ketchup, but went with the ketchup.

This was the first recipe I've ever seen that called for brown sugar, and it gave it a distinctive and good taste.

I have this stuff. It's not steak sauce but it's hot pepper sauce. A bit more spicy than steak sauce and delicious. I might try that on my meatloaf next time. I usually just put a couple of tablespoons to a 1/4 cup of ketchup for the moisture when making the meat loaf, I'm just not crazy about having it on top of the meatloaf.

I have this stuff. It's not steak sauce but it's hot pepper sauce. A bit more spicy than steak sauce and delicious. I might try that on my meatloaf next time. I usually just put a couple of tablespoons to a 1/4 cup of ketchup for the moisture when making the meat loaf, I'm just not crazy about having it on top of the meatloaf.

Try tearing up one slice of fresh white bread with the crust removed for every pound of beef and mixing it thoroughly. It reduces the grittiness of the meat.

For a sauce try mixing equal parts of oyster sauce and worcestersire sauce. Oyster sauce is brown and looks like Heinze 57.

She baked her hamburgers? :lol: Bless her heart!

I've never soaked my breadcrumbs... is that the secret to having a firm HOT meatloaf every time???

Yes, My mom often baked burgers but she added chopped onion and a little egg and bread crumbs to they more like meatloaf burgers. Place the raw burgers on a grill of some sort to let the grease fall. Great with mashed potatoes and a veggie. Mucho gravy.

Try tearing up one slice of fresh white bread with the crust removed for every pound of beef and mixing it thoroughly. It reduces the grittiness of the meat.

For a sauce try mixing equal parts of oyster sauce and worcestersire sauce. Oyster sauce is brown and looks like Heinze 57.

I always add a panade to my meatloaf. :)

Back
Top Bottom