• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Made A Meatloaf Last Night and.....

I didn't mean to sound snobby...from what I've gathered it is making the most out of crap...

Which is why it was a staple for the poor and near poor. Even small farmers who were tight would sell off the prime cuts and keep the crap to ground up and make meatloaf with. AND you could "extend" the meat to feed your family for longer on a smaller budget.

The problem with food threads is that they make you hungry!

My mom used to make Meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy and string beans. Man, that was good! The OP recipe sounds really good.

I finally tried putting powdered ranch dressing in to a meatloaf after seeing years of commercials to do it for burgers. It works! First I saw many varieties of the Ranch powders so I tried one with a Mexican flair to it. Threw in an egg and some Italian bread crumbs, some Cajun seasoning, thyme, Durkees Six Pepper Blend and paprika, salt and pepper and a little curry style ketchup. What came out was the best meatloaf I have had in many moons and this off the cuff concoction will make great meatballs.

Sounds like a good recipe, I might give it a try

Which is why it was a staple for the poor and near poor. Even small farmers who were tight would sell off the prime cuts and keep the crap to ground up and make meatloaf with. AND you could "extend" the meat to feed your family for longer on a smaller budget.

So why??..does the richest country in the world......still eat it??

The country is rich, not so much the people, and it's a nod to the past. Some of us actually like it.

because it would be stupid not to eat a wonderful dish only because you are able to afford to eat something more expensive

Because a whole bunch of people were raised on it when their parents were just starting out and couldn't afford to buy non-crap cuts of meat for 4-5 children, and as you can see here, some of those children got to like it.

Because a whole bunch of people were raised on it when their parents were just starting out and couldn't afford to buy non-crap cuts of meat for 4-5 children, and as you can see here, some of those children got to like it.

Is it comfort food?

must be a shame to no longer eat eggs because you can now afford something more expensive

So, you still use the cheapest (and thus greasiest) ground beef you can find as a base for your meatloaf? Or have you upgraded?

must be a shame to no longer eat eggs because you can now afford something more expensive

I have never lusted after or wanted to eat an egg...

Speaking as one who literally grew up on the stuff when my folks were young and dirt poor - I wouldn't touch meatloaf with a ten foot pole now. :mrgreen:
My father-in-law feels the same way about chicken.

Sorry..I have never had to eat it,..Thank who-ever- it is!! :tink:

Is it poor peoples stuff??
I didn't mean to sound snobby...from what I've gathered it is making the most out of crap...
Originally, yes, but that doesn't mean that it still has to be made from crap cuts. That's actually one of the great things about the dish... it is adaptable and flexible and you can change it up to suit your tastes at any time. You could make "prime rib loaf", or "ribeye loaf", if you want.

because it would be stupid not to eat a wonderful dish only because you are able to afford to eat something more expensive
Word.

Just saw and bought a packet of Wishbone powdered ITALIAN dressing, so tonight we dine ala Italiano meatloafo..........I tell you how it came out.

Well, I made it and was good but I would make meatballs with the dressing instead of meatloaf. I only added some Durkee Six Pepper seasoning and a little salt and pepper to prove out the flavor of this stuff. Used one lb. pork and one lb. ground beef. I'll cut back to one half pound pork for the meatballs.

For me meatloaf is for making sammiches later. My wife makes a big one, freezes half and makes me smeatloaf, as she calls it, sammiches. We use venison, doe is a tad better in this. since it is for cold sammiches the loaf is very firm for easy, thin slicing. I use everything from BBQ sauce, horseradish mayo, or spicy mustard depending on my mood.

I'm right there with you on the sammiches. I made one yesterday, but first I whipped up a loaf of garlic and basil bread in the old bread maker. The meatloaf is over the top. It cosists of 2 pounds of range fed ground beef and a pound of range fed pork sausage. I didn't have any bread crumbs so I threw some pretzels in the blender. Added an egg and steak seasoning, then wove 12 slices of bacon in to a square and wrapped the whole meatloaf in the bacon blanket. It's unbelievably awesome. My wife wants me to do the bacon blanket thing on a fried turkey.

The meatloaf and bread were sliced and the sandwiches were buttered and pan fried after adding sharp white creddar and german mustard.

I'm right there with you on the sammiches. I made one yesterday, but first I whipped up a loaf of garlic and basil bread in the old bread maker. The meatloaf is over the top. It cosists of 2 pounds of range fed ground beef and a pound of range fed pork sausage. I didn't have any bread crumbs so I threw some pretzels in the blender. Added an egg and steak seasoning, then wove 12 slices of bacon in to a square and wrapped the whole meatloaf in the bacon blanket. It's unbelievably awesome. My wife wants me to do the bacon blanket thing on a fried turkey. The meatloaf and bread were sliced and the sandwiches were buttered and pan fried after adding sharp white creddar and german mustard.

DA-HAM... you're like a gormond n chit. And fear no cholesterol :mrgreen:

I have eaten some pretty freaking awesome meatloaf in my life, and no I did not grow up eating it. We hardly ever had it--maybe once a year. One of my sisters can make a meatloaf I would choose over a steak. I think she must sprinkle in some crack because I could eat it every day.

DA-HAM... you're like a gormond n chit. And fear no cholesterol :mrgreen:

Some of the folks here who go way back may remember the first time I made that meatloaf in my smoker. It's made from 2 55 gallon drums and is actually the primary heater for my auto shop. The top barrel is usually just there as a head exchanger but ai added a door and a cast iron grate to it along with temperature gauges for the bottom burn barrel an the top chamber. I've had as many as 3 9 pound hams in there at one time. It also does an excellent job on trout and beer can chicken.

Some of the folks here who go way back may remember the first time I made that meatloaf in my smoker. It's made from 2 55 gallon drums and is actually the primary heater for my auto shop. The top barrel is usually just there as a head exchanger but ai added a door and a cast iron grate to it along with temperature gauges for the bottom burn barrel an the top chamber. I've had as many as 3 9 pound hams in there at one time. It also does an excellent job on trout and beer can chicken.

I remember the picture you posted of that smoker. quite the creation.

I remember the picture you posted of that smoker. quite the creation.

I was just cutting wood for it today. I might get a chance to fire is up in about a month. It's got to get a bit chilly first, that thing puts out 150,000 BTUs. Took down a good sized maple today and have several oaks and a handful of hickory for this season. Still have some applewood left from last year too.

I was just cutting wood for it today. I might get a chance to fire is up in about a month. It's got to get a bit chilly first, that thing puts out 150,000 BTUs. Took down a good sized maple today and have several oaks and a handful of hickory for this season. Still have some applewood left from last year too.

We have had a few chilly nights but not enough for the heat yet. The other night I went stumbling for the thermostat thinking the AC was on overdrive and it wasn't even on. I forgot I had cut it off and opened a window. We are in the hot day/chilly night transition now and we are north of you IIRC. When we get around to building our new house, I think I am going to spring for the external wood furnace system. I actually prefer coal heat but there is no coal to be had in my neck of the woods.

We have had a few chilly nights but not enough for the heat yet. The other night I went stumbling for the thermostat thinking the AC was on overdrive and it wasn't even on. I forgot I had cut it off and opened a window. We are in the hot day/chilly night transition now and we are north of you IIRC. When we get around to building our new house, I think I am going to spring for the external wood furnace system. I actually prefer coal heat but there is no coal to be had in my neck of the woods.

I've got a much more efficient wood burner in the living room (than the monster at the shop). In the winter time the heat is actually on but the heating element rarely lights. The thermostat and the air return are in the same room as the heater to the central system just runs the fan and circulates the heat. It's electric heat, the main floor (which is all that is serviced by the HVAC, the full walkout basement is separate) stays warm enough in winter that we office have windows open a bit and the power bill runs about $100 a month. The home wood stove is a Quadrafire unit. Check them out, nice stuff. The main floor is 1300 sq ft and this little stove is almost too big.

Sounds great. I've been having this insane craving for a good meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy but with it being so dang hot outside I don't like too eat too heavy.

I ran across a meatloaf cupcake recipe, basically a meatloaf but cooked as cupcakes instead of a loaf. Has anyone tried this before and was is good or would you stick to a loaf?

THat sounds like a great idea to me, because I like the end pieces of a loaf that are more "crusty".

It's an American thing...the rest of the world doesn't do ''meatloaf''....

Not true

They just are ashamed of doing it, so they call it "pate"

Pate-de-campagne-by-Tim-H-006.jpg

It's much better cold, as a sandwich.

OMG, cold meatloaf sandwiches with catsup and a slab of cheddar... to die for! I like it hot, too, for supper. But it's the sandwiches I really crave!

Back
Top Bottom