• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Locals demand library ban over 400 books. The library doesn't carry a single one

Loulit01

Leftist Filth
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

I say anyone who wants to ban a book must read the book and write a report on its contents and why those contents are dangerous. Let's see them ban 400 books now.

The American Redoubt = Proud to be Racist, Theocratic Book Banners.

Can we not **** with libraries, please?

The reading or non-reading a book will never keep down a single petticoat.

Lord Byron

I say anyone who wants to ban a book must read the book and write a report on its contents and why those contents are dangerous.
We'd be safe. Most of those whack-a-doodles can't read, much less write.

I say anyone who wants to ban a book must read the book and write a report on its contents and why those contents are dangerous. Let's see them ban 400 books now.

Lord Byron

I've been right along..

The first amendment is bullshit

Lord Byron

Yup

Only allowed the Bible and Little House on the Prarie

These religious fruit loops agenda is all about banning books. They even had a beef with a children's biography on Fredrick Douglas, really 🙄

Lord Byron

Libraries not carrying books is not a ban on those books.

Yup

Only allowed the Bible and Little House on the Prarie

These religious fruit loops agenda is all about banning books. They even had a beef with a children's biography on Fredrick Douglas, really 🙄
You would likely be much happier if you only ever read those two books.

Ignorance is bliss! The battle cry of Trumpettes everywhere.

If we did fewer Covid tests there would be fewer cases of Covid. Remember that one?

I have no respect for this kind of thinking. None.

You raise a good point. You should log off this forum, request that your account be deleted, never come back to read any post here and instead only read those two works of fiction over and over until your last day.

It’ll make you less angry and more happy.

I wish I could say that you’ll be missed, but I am glad that you are about to find some happiness. Farewell!

Ignorance is bliss! The battle cry of Trumpettes everywhere.

If we did fewer Covid tests there would be fewer cases of Covid. Remember that one?

I have no respect for this kind of thinking. None.
If the current GOP is any evidence, ignorance is constant outrage ever in search of new justification.

Lord Byron

The great american redoubt is indeed a theocratic movement.

Lord Byron

This tells me what I already know, it's not about the books at all since the library has none of them, it's about controlling others, inflicting your beliefs onto others and goddammit you will be a good christian or we'll kill you savage ass.

Who doesn't want america running according to god's law?

Might be weird just reading Little House On The Prairie, seeing as it was the 3rd book in a series of books. Might have referenced stuff in the first 2 books that you wouldn't have know about.

Lord Byron

You are overlooking a few things:
  1. Libraries are physical buildings that occupy a certain amount of physical space. They are not nebulous clouds capable of holding an infinite amounts of material. Therefore, there is a physical limit to the number of books a library may contain.
  2. Public libraries were created to serve their specific community. They were not created to serve the fancy of some stuck-up, over-educated librarian or any other individual with delusions of dictatorship.
Which means that the books a public library contains should be determined by the community in which it serves. They are not banning books, they are just limiting which books may be included. Which is a requirement for all libraries.

You are overlooking a few things:
  1. Libraries are physical buildings that occupy a certain amount of physical space. They are not nebulous clouds capable of holding an infinite amounts of material. Therefore, there is a physical limit to the number of books a library may contain.
  2. Public libraries were created to serve their specific community. They were not created to serve the fancy of some stuck-up, over-educated librarian or any other individual with delusions of dictatorship.
Those are true enough, but there's nothing dictator-like in a library carrying books that some people want to read and others don't. If the library is serving the community, they won't 'censor' the type of books they carry because some idiotic theocratic asshole doesn't like them. They'll serve the entire community, not just a bunch of narrow-minded simpletons and morons. The delusions of dictatorship are by the mouth breathers demanding the library remove 400 books they don't even CARRY.

You even been to a library? I have, served on the board of our local library support organization. About 99% of the books in the main branch I have no interest in ever checking out. It's pretty easy for me to avoid those books I don't want to read by only browsing through the books I do have an interest in reading. Should I with delusions of dictatorship demand that the library only cater to ME and what I want to read? If I'm a ****ing idiot, that's a fine idea.
Which means that the books a public library contains should be determined by the community in which it serves. They are not banning books, they are just limiting which books may be included. Which is a requirement for all libraries.
Limiting because of what? Because a few vocal gun carrying assholes don't want to read those books, and claim to speak for the entire community? How about this? If you don't want to read LGBT books, don't check them out. If you're worried about what your kids are reading, be a responsible parent and monitor what they read. If someone else wants to read those books, let them, you're not THEIR daddy.

Those are true enough, but there's nothing dictator-like in a library carrying books that some people want to read and others don't.
There is when the majority of the community don't want those books being carried by their library.

If the library is serving the community, they won't 'censor' the type of books they carry because some idiotic theocratic asshole doesn't like them.
They will if the majority of the community decide otherwise, and it is not censorship. Nobody is prohibiting any book from being written on any subject. They are merely limiting which books their library will contain.

They'll serve the entire community, not just a bunch of narrow-minded simpletons and morons.
If those "bunch of narrow-minded simpletons and morons" are the majority of the community, then that is precisely the interests that public library serves.

The delusions of dictatorship are by the mouth breathers demanding the library remove 400 books they don't even CARRY.
No, they are telling the library not to include those 400 books. If they are not in the library already, then there is no problem.

You even been to a library? I have, served on the board of our local library support organization. About 99% of the books in the main branch I have no interest in ever checking out. It's pretty easy for me to avoid those books I don't want to read by only browsing through the books I do have an interest in reading. Should I with delusions of dictatorship demand that the library only cater to ME and what I want to read? If I'm a ****ing idiot, that's a fine idea.

Limiting because of what? Because a few vocal gun carrying assholes don't want to read those books, and claim to speak for the entire community? How about this? If you don't want to read LGBT books, don't check them out. If you're worried about what your kids are reading, be a responsible parent and monitor what they read. If someone else wants to read those books, let them, you're not THEIR daddy.
Whether I have been to a library or not is immaterial. If a library is carrying books that their community does not want to read, then they are obviously not serving the best interests of their community as they are required to do.

Ignorant people are often happy. Life is much easier when you don't understand it.
I can think of no greater endorsement of leftist ideology, then the fact that it promises you that you will be miserable.

Ignorant people are often happy. Life is much easier when you don't understand it.
Lots of ignorant people seem deeply unhappy as this thread amply demonstrates.

Lord Byron

But won't young criminals only find them on the black market. These prohibitions will be no more effective than gun laws, which of course do not stop criminals from acquiring guns.

Just to point out a certain contradiction. Regulation through education always seems the most reasonable solution.

Back
Top Bottom