• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Linux - RedHat training

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I have been out of pocket the last few days.

I went to RedHat Linux training and tried my hand at taking the RHCT.
Hardest test I have ever taken - didn't pass. :(

Any other Linux fans here?

vauge said:
I have been out of pocket the last few days.

I went to RedHat Linux training and tried my hand at taking the RHCT.
Hardest test I have ever taken - didn't pass. :(

Any other Linux fans here?

Just getting my feet wet. I've acquired 30 gigs of various flavors. Haven't picked a favorite yet. I'm incredibly ignorant about some of the basics. I can't really get anywhere w/o KDE or Gnome. Even then, I've got issues. I'm coming form M$. I've got 11 comps strung together here on my little LAN. I can make Windows do most whatever I'd like (eventually), but I'd like to learn one of the "real" OSes.

Try out Gentoo or LFS.

LFS (linux from scratch) is just that - from the beginning. You learn as you go. Can take weeks to get it up and running.

Gentoo - fully compiled on your machine. Depending if you bootstrap, could take a few days to get installed. Even on a very fast machine.

Until this training, I was a Debian fan all the way. The setup utilities in RedHat are incredible!

vauge said:
Try out Gentoo or LFS.

LFS (linux from scratch) is just that - from the beginning. You learn as you go. Can take weeks to get it up and running.

Gentoo - fully compiled on your machine. Depending if you bootstrap, could take a few days to get installed. Even on a very fast machine.

Until this training, I was a Debian fan all the way. The setup utilities in RedHat are incredible!
I need a base in Linux syntax that I don't have.
This lack leaves me very intimidated by the "real Linux" flavors. For now, I need my guis. Is there a good primer on the basics that I'm lacking?

Back
Top Bottom